Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

RIP Trugoy the Dove of De La Soul

The universal language of mankind
Norman Breaks

RIP Trugoy the Dove of De La Soul

Post by Norman Breaks »

It really can't be overstated how much of a contribution to Hip Hop De La provided.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/t ... -1.6746080

Rest in Peace Dave Dove.

Only a few weeks until their back catalogue is released officially on all streaming sites after very lengthy legal issues
Avey Terrible

Re: RIP Trugoy the Dove of De La Soul

Post by Avey Terrible »

RIP. 3 Feet High And Rising is still one of the greatest hip hop albums ever released.
Boardsie Exile

Post by Boardsie Exile »

They were a breath of fresh air when everyone else in the genre was pretending to be from compton.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Sad news. 3 Feet High & Rising is one of my favourite albums ever. It got 13 out of 12 in Hot Press.

Terrible vinyl pressing though; the CD sounds much better,
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:30 pm Sad news. 3 Feet High & Rising is one of my favourite albums ever. It got 13 out of 12 in Hot Press.

Terrible vinyl pressing though; the CD sounds much better,
Yeah, I've got one of the earlier pressings and it is indeed sh1te quality. It's too quiet. Was released back before spliting an album on to two plates of wax was common.
Run time of the album is 67:24

According to wikipedia:
Originally 23 minutes per side, later increased by several minutes, much longer possible with very low signal level

So it was mainly due to it being a long record and that is was their debut, so kept on one vinyl to keep costs down.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Norman Breaks wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:29 pm Yeah, I've got one of the earlier pressings and it is indeed sh1te quality. It's too quiet. Was released back before spliting an album on to two plates of wax was common.
Run time of the album is 67:24

According to wikipedia:
Originally 23 minutes per side, later increased by several minutes, much longer possible with very low signal level

So it was mainly due to it being a long record and that is was their debut, so kept on one vinyl to keep costs down.
I think it's 61.50 or so.
When I DJed with it, I had to turn the gain way up. If playing a 12" after, you could blow the speakers if not diligent enough to turn it down.

I have lots of albums from 1989 - 1993 which have 60+ minutes crammed onto one LP. The industry doing their best to kill off the format.
Flimsy vinyl with too much music
Really thin inner sleeves
No returns accepted

Ice T, Bodycount, Wu Tang Clan debut, Anthrax, Neil Young, Prefab Sprout are more examples in my collection. Plus those Deep Heat compilations - sound awful on vinyl.
I think Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell II is the worst - 75 mins on one LP.

There is a double LP pressing of 3 Feet High & Rising out there now - must get it.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:34 pm There is a double LP pressing of 3 Feet High & Rising out there now - must get it.
Wouldn't mind getting my mitts on one either. I love my 2LP copy of Stakes Is High. Used to play the crap out of it when I first bought it back when it came out.