Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

How much ??????

The universal language of mankind
CelticRambler
Verified Username

How much ??????

Post by CelticRambler »

In the family circle yesterday, Daughter No.2 circulated a message about some wan called Taylor Swift adding a third concert in Dublin, with an obscure reference to Glastonbury which went right over my head. But with the name still in my short-term memory, I picked up on a discussion elsewhere about actually getting hold of a ticket or two.

WTF??? :shock: In the midst of a supposed housing/energy/food crisis, people are forking out anywhere from 100-250€ for a place in a sports stadium to listen to someone's voice broadcast over a glorified PA system. :shock:

So I had a quick look at Glastonbury too. £340 for a single "weekend" pass. FFS. :o

Michael Eavis - founder of Glastonbury - came to visit our festival a few years ago "to see how you do things" (quote from that horse's mouth, delivered directly into this horse's ear) but obviously decided not to adopt our pricing strategy. :lol:

We're still tootling along at 79€ per person for the full weekend (including camping) - assuming that you didn't take advantage of the 69€ early-bird rate. And we get thousands of people opting for the 32€ "no concerts" 4-day pass because they find that there just aren't enough hours in the day to fit in a couple of concerts on top of everything else.

Is being in the remote presence of any Global Superstar really worth three figures of anyone's money?
DeletedUser

Re: How much ??????

Post by DeletedUser »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:20 pm In the family circle yesterday, Daughter No.2 circulated a message about some wan called Taylor Swift adding a third concert in Dublin, with an obscure reference to Glastonbury which went right over my head. But with the name still in my short-term memory, I picked up on a discussion elsewhere about actually getting hold of a ticket or two.

WTF??? :shock: In the midst of a supposed housing/energy/food crisis, people are forking out anywhere from 100-250€ for a place in a sports stadium to listen to someone's voice broadcast over a glorified PA system. :shock:

So I had a quick look at Glastonbury too. £340 for a single "weekend" pass. FFS. :o

Michael Eavis - founder of Glastonbury - came to visit our festival a few years ago "to see how you do things" (quote from that horse's mouth, delivered directly into this horse's ear) but obviously decided not to adopt our pricing strategy. :lol:

We're still tootling along at 79€ per person for the full weekend (including camping) - assuming that you didn't take advantage of the 69€ early-bird rate. And we get thousands of people opting for the 32€ "no concerts" 4-day pass because they find that there just aren't enough hours in the day to fit in a couple of concerts on top of everything else.

Is being in the remote presence of any Global Superstar really worth three figures of anyone's money?
Depends - I won't pay more than two figures for a gig (saw Depeche Mode the other week for 79, quality gig and a big fan) but give me a 5 minute meet n greet with Roger Federer and I'll mortgage my house, go on the game and sell a kidney!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

To be honest, any price is too much for me to pay to be having panic attacks in a relatively small space crowded with endless people. A low key artsy festival that hardly anyone goes to is more my thing. I saw Dylan Moran at the second Flat Lakes Arts Festival in Monaghan in 2008, in a barn sitting on hay bales, and I seriously was pretty close to dying from laughing. Seamus Heaney was there too. God, that was a good festival. No idea how much it cost but it was not much.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:29 pm give me a 5 minute meet n greet with Roger Federer and I'll mortgage my house, go on the game and sell a kidney!!!
isha wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:55 pm TI saw Dylan Moran at the second Flat Lakes Arts Festival in Monaghan in 2008, in a barn sitting on hay bales, and I seriously was pretty close to dying from laughing. Seamus Heaney was there too.
See, that's my take on it too: if not close enough to the guy or girl on stage to feel their spit on your face or hear the rip of their jeans, you might as well be at home listening to a CD, or watching them on your 56" flatscreen telly with surround sound.

I do find it an interesting commentary on the much lauded ambitions to create a classless society when several thousand people are prepared to pay huge sums to cram themselves into a closed space with desperate acoustics to listen to someone do something that is, after all, really quite ordinary.

@Isha - we have hay bales!
Leg End Reject
Verified Username

Post by Leg End Reject »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:20 pm In the family circle yesterday, Daughter No.2 circulated a message about some wan called Taylor Swift adding a third concert in Dublin, with an obscure reference to Glastonbury which went right over my head. But with the name still in my short-term memory, I picked up on a discussion elsewhere about actually getting hold of a ticket or two.

What kind of festival are you involved with?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Essentially a showcase of European (neo)traditional music. Four double-bill concerts, sixteen headline dance bands, about thirty supporting acts, and a little over 100 instrument makers running their own shows, plus all the improv that arises from having that many creative types rubbing shoulders/elbows/inside legs together, especially at 4 in the morning!

www.lesoncontinu.fr

Thursday's concert headliners, from southern Italy (really needs good speakers):

Friday - something from closer to home:

Celtic cousins from Galicia on Saturday:

And a load of Gascogne women causing me headache, coz every member of my team has asked to be allowed time off to sneak in to their performance on Sunday:

... but I'll be giving them all a miss, so that I can dance to these guys at 2am on Saturday morning:

Last edited by CelticRambler on Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leg End Reject
Verified Username

Post by Leg End Reject »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:52 pm Essentially a showcase of European (neo)traditional music. Four double-bill concerts, sixteen headline dance bands, about thirty supporting acts, and a little over 100 instrument makers running their own shows, plus all the improv that arises from having that many creative types rubbing shoulders/elbows/inside legs together, especially at 4 in the morning!

www.lesoncontinu.fr
I'm intrigued, especially by the rubbing together of inside legs. :mrgreen:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Leg End Reject wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:49 pm I'm intrigued, especially by the rubbing together of inside legs. :mrgreen:
There's a dance workshop on the Saturday to explore variations on the theme of leg-rubbing. :lol:

I'm going to that too.
Leg End Reject
Verified Username

Post by Leg End Reject »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:58 pm There's a dance workshop on the Saturday to explore variations on the theme of leg-rubbing. :lol:

I'm going to that too.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it! :D
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

:lol:

I've just spotted this advice on the Glastonbury website:
Some busy adult-orientated late-night areas, particularly our venues in the South East Corner, are simply not appropriate for younger audiences at certain times. We strongly advise families with younger children under the age of 13 to leave these areas before 10pm.
We have no "no-go" zones, and it'd be pointless booting the under-13s out before 10 because the serious dancing doesn't start till midnight - so who'd mind them? One of my favourite memories from this festival dates way back to when my youngest son was just eight. I lost him at around 1 in the morning, found him at about 2, when he emerged from a packed dance-floor, drenched in sweat and beaming from ear-to-ear, and telling me that he'd had a whale of a time because "all the grannies wanted to dance with me because I'm the right size for them!" :lol:
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

The arse fell out of the music selling business. Streaming pays pennies. The new main way for musicians to earn a living is live performances and merch. However, similar to selling music media, there is no shortage or interested parties that want their piece of the pie. These include but are not limited to venues, tour booking managers, promoters, security, transport, roadies, engineers, stag crew, insurance, catering, pyrotechnics and on and on. All these people are trying to earn a living wage so depending on the size of the gig the price includes a cut for these people.
For me, depending on the act, I'm willing to pay close to $100.
For festivals, there is one I pay about 300 euro for a week (C'est dans Sud De France). Top class fest, never a bad time. The music is amazing but it is just a part of the whole experience. But for a weekend camping fest roughly $50 per night is about the limit.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Norman Breaks wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:15 pmThese include but are not limited to venues, tour booking managers, promoters, security, transport, roadies, engineers, stag crew, insurance, catering, pyrotechnics and on and on.
That's where we're making the savings: we have our own "promoter" (i.e. talent scout) who identifies and contacts directly the groups we want (or their manager, if we really don't have someone with a direct line); then supply the venue, the transport, the engineers (though most of the bands now bring their own sound guy), the crew, the insurance, the catering and ... well, no pyrotechnics - way too close to the trees and a dried-out forest floor! Most of that cost is shared across the whole event (e.g. one person with a minibus nominated to do the airport run for every group coming in by plane), and a couple of hundred volunteers making up the bulk of the workforce.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:52 pm Essentially a showcase of European (neo)traditional music. Four double-bill concerts, sixteen headline dance bands, about thirty supporting acts, and a little over 100 instrument makers running their own shows, plus all the improv that arises from having that many creative types rubbing shoulders/elbows/inside legs together, especially at 4 in the morning!

www.lesoncontinu.fr

Thursday's concert headliners, from southern Italy (really needs good speakers):

Friday - something from closer to home:

Celtic cousins from Galicia on Saturday:

And a load of Gascogne women causing me headache, coz every member of my team has asked to be allowed time off to sneak in to their performance on Sunday:

... but I'll be giving them all a miss, so that I can dance to these guys at 2am on Saturday morning:

It sounds great CR, I'd love to go, infact . . what if we made it an annual Gubu event to go over, get together and teach Kadman how to throw some shapes🕺
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Apelles wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:01 am ... and teach Kadman how to throw some shapes🕺
:shock:

That's conjuring up memories of all the A-Team had to go through to get Mr.T on a plane. :lol: