Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Favourite Rolling Stones tunes.

The universal language of mankind
Mr Daniel F. O'Leary

Favourite Rolling Stones tunes.

Post by Mr Daniel F. O'Leary »

With Mick Jagger's 80th birthday (not something many people would've thought they'd say!) in the past week, I thought let's make a thread on some of favourite songs by The Rolling Stones. And here's some of mine.

Sister Morphine.

Haunting tune, with fantastic slide guitar from Ry Cooder.

Start me Up.

Great rock song.

No Expectations.

One of the last songs Brian Jones played guitar on and his playing is fantastic.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Favourite Rolling Stones tunes.

Post by Del.Monte »

I was never a massive Stones fan while liking them but this one is my favourite by a mile.

'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Only one “best” for me but I love them all…!!!

Happy 80th Mick!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Fugue

Post by Fugue »

Gimme Shelter
This Could Be The Last Time
Miss You
Paint it Black
Not Fade Away
Satisfaction
Jumpin' Jack Flash
She's a Rainbow
Out of Time
Sympathy for the Devil
Under My Thumb
Angie

Post by 678904673 »

Always liked Moonlight Mile

Post by 678904673 »

Criss-cross Mind is another gem. Was meant to be on Goats Head Soup but was cut at the last moment. Not sure if it turned up on any subsequent album but you can find it on YouTube
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

My favourite Rolling Stones album is Some Girls, closely followed by Exile On Main Street and then Your Satanic Majesties Request

This is my favourite song of theirs.

Heaven sounds like a record going backwards. Buried on 1981’s Tattoo You, it’s an atmospheric, mellow, deep space epic. Contemplative and relaxing, a gauzy gem. Mick Jagger strums an electric guitar while woozily crooning lines like “Nothing will harm you / Nothing will stand in your way.” over a restrained, bare-bones accompaniment. Time, place and mindspace. A fever dream set to music.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Sounds random but Susan Boyle’s cover of Wild Horses is amazing!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

I see Forty Licks is finally out on vinyl - 4 LPs. It was originally released on double CD back in 2002 to mark their 40th anniversary. It's my favourite compilation of theirs because:
1/ They included some single edits
2/ All four new tracks were great
Fugue

Post by Fugue »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:12 pm Sounds random but Susan Boyle’s cover of Wild Horses is amazing!!!
An indie band called The Sundays covered it in the early '90s. It's breath-takingly beautiful. Better than the original imo.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Fugue wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:38 pm An indie band called The Sundays covered it in the early '90s. It's breath-takingly beautiful. Better than the original imo.
I’ll check it thank you!!

Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

Gimme Shelter
This Could be The Last Time
Jumpin' Jack Flask
Little Red Rooster
Satisfaction
It's Only Rock and Roll
Love is String

I got the Forty Licks on tape when it came out first. I can't say that I have heard it recently. I must put it on some time at home. It nearly was a greatest hits album, with the exception of the four new tracks which were quite good. My main criticism was that it left out certain other hits in favour of the new songs. Examples of omitted songs included Little Red Rooster, Going to a Gogo and I Wanna Be Your Man. Maybe there was an issue including songs not written by Jagger and Richards.
Fugue

Post by Fugue »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:10 pm My favourite Rolling Stones album is Some Girls, closely followed by Exile On Main Street and then Your Satanic Majesties Request

Heaven sounds like a record going backwards. Buried on 1981’s Tattoo You, it’s an atmospheric, mellow, deep space epic. Contemplative and relaxing, a gauzy gem. Mick Jagger strums an electric guitar while woozily crooning lines like “Nothing will harm you / Nothing will stand in your way.” over a restrained, bare-bones accompaniment. Time, place and mindspace. A fever dream set to music.
Slave on Tattoo You is amazing I think.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Always been fond of this one for some reason:

Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:10 pm My favourite Rolling Stones album is Some Girls, closely followed by Exile On Main Street and then Your Satanic Majesties Request

Remarkable that the Rolling Stones' last foray into chart dominance was stitched together from outtakes and overdubs. And my favourite song "Waiting On A Friend" originates from the Mick Taylor era. A surfeit of creativity with most bands would lead to inevitable decline, yet 'Tattoo You' holds up with their prime. An impressive closer to a great run of form that virtually no other group achieved in the annals of rock history.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Listening to Under My Thumb - glorious, don’t get why it’s hated??!!

Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:46 pm Listening to Under My Thumb - glorious, don’t get why it’s hated??!!
Brian Jones and his marimba, what a brilliant addition to the canon. Like George Harrison and the sitar on 'Norwegian Wood', ahead of the curve.
Fugue

Post by Fugue »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:46 pm Listening to Under My Thumb - glorious, don’t get why it’s hated??!!
It's considered misogynistic. The lyrics are a bit chauvinist all right (like numerous Stones songs) but the tune is just SO good.

Rap has been a hundred times worse.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Berties_Horse wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:41 pm Remarkable that the Rolling Stones' last foray into chart dominance was stitched together from outtakes and overdubs. And my favourite song "Waiting On A Friend" originates from the Mick Taylor era. A surfeit of creativity with most bands would lead to inevitable decline, yet 'Tattoo You' holds up with their prime. An impressive closer to a great run of form that virtually no other group achieved in the annals of rock history.
Yes, a brilliant run alright. Only comparable ones IMHO are David Bowie (1970s) and Prince (1980s). The latter's albums from 1980's Dirty Mind to 1988's Lovesexy constitute my favourite ever sequence of work.