Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Oliver Anthony

The universal language of mankind
isha
Verified Username

Oliver Anthony

Post by isha »

Just came across this story. What a nice guy he comes across as.

His song is number One in America and he has three songs now in the top ten. What a whirlwind. He's being labelled a redneck rightwinger by the good folx. Honestly I like this working person song about the Rich men north of Richmond. Sounds like the protest songs the left wing used to sing. I have not listened to his other songs yet.

20230812_165544.jpg
20230812_165544.jpg (225.91 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Fugue

Re: Oliver Anthony

Post by Fugue »

He's a rural guy, has a manual job, is white, grew up in a conservative/traditional community, is religious... automatic hate figure.

It's likely (not definite) that I'd disagree with him on numerous things, but I can't stand the normalisation of dismissing certain people without knowing them. Rolling Stone magazine's reaction is utterly as expected. They featured a 17-year-old Britney Spears wearing partially sexy, partially little girl stuff, surrounded by toys... the totally non creepy Lolita thing. Rolling Stone is clearly an arbiter of morality.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It's absolutely mad how viral he went and also how the logarithms work it. It hit my twitter feed at about the same time it hit different social media feeds for the sons and we had to laugh that we ended up listening to (and enjoying) the same song simultaneously in different rooms in the house . Weirdish.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Love this story. Good luck to him.