Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The Beatles new song 'Now and Then'

The universal language of mankind
quodec

The Beatles new song 'Now and Then'

Post by quodec »

John Lennon wrote this tune in the late 1970s, whilst living his last decade in New York. Then, years later, with modern technology, the song now features all the Beatles and will be the last ever (new) Beatles song released. I love much of what The Beatles gave to the world during the 60s, but surely a bit of doodling by John in his penthouse whilst babysitting young Sean is not a Beatles song per se! But how and ever, it has been released as such and though I think it's pleasant enough, it won't be entering my Top 10, Top 50 or even Top 100 Beatles songs.
So, here it is - Now and Then:

Re: The Beatles new song 'Now and Then'

Post by 678904673 »

It's a pleasant enough song to have on in the background. But no amount of cheer leading by the media will convince me that it's a "masterpiece"
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

It's okay but sounds more of a Beatles B-side to me.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a bit of AI influence thrown in for good measure.
Eggonyerface
Verified Username

Post by Eggonyerface »

Not great is it? It doesn't hook me like the first times I heard free as a bird or real love. If they could do what they did with John's voice in this for them that would be amazing
Boardsie Exile

Post by Boardsie Exile »

Sentimental crap that even Lennon himself didn't deem good enough for his own album. Most likely written in an attempt to placate his bonkers missus. Harrison described it as "effing rubbish" when he first heard it back in the mid - 90's.

Always liked George for his willingness to call a spade a spade.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Underwhelming. It has however inspired me to revisit my Beatles collection, starting out with the Anthology sets for a kick start. They really were an amazing band.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

If it had been part of their 1960s catalogue and I heard it for the first time today I'd probably be "meh". But given the circumstances, a wave of nostalgia and emotion came over me today. That included the realisation that it is now 28 years since Free as a Bird was released which was 25 years after they broke up. .

IIRC the release of Free as a Bird was a very big deal at the time while the reaction to today's release was quite muted I think, showing how times have changed.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Reminiscent of earlier Beatles stuff. It's OK but certainly not remarkable. When I was in my twenties I waited eagerly for every new Beatles release and was rarely disappointed, I'm not sure this would have hit the spot quite so hard.
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

It is a pleasant enough tune. It would not measure up against much of the Beatles back catalogue, although it is probably better than some of their weaker output. It is a better song than a good portion of the solo offerings post-Beatles. I am sure AI had something to do with the execution of this record. Given that it was an unfinished work by John, I am curious to know if there was any input by the surviving Beatles (Paul and Ringo) and, also, where did the late George fit into this if at all? Did AI invent George's contribution to this...and maybe the other two as well?
Fugue

Post by Fugue »

A nice song - that's about it.
The sometimes crazed deification of the Beatles can be ridiculous. They did some great stuff (much of it though was only of its time), their influence is indisputable, and I do like them, but I can think of numerous bands and musicians I'd listen to before them.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

I prefer the new Stones song tbh.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

It’s getting better

…with each listen.

Anyone buying the revised editions of Red & Blue?