Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The Stranglers were a great band

The universal language of mankind
BrianD3

The Stranglers were a great band

Post by BrianD3 »

I found a mix CD I made of my favourite Stranglers songs - what a super band they were, at least for the first few albums. They started to slip in the mid 80s and I'm not familiar with any of their work post Hugh Cornwell.

I was born in the late 70s so this isn't a case of thinking that the music that was around when one was a teenager is the greatest thing ever.

My favourites include:
Down in the Sewer
Sometimes
The Raven
Baroque Bordello
No More Heroes
Toiler on the Sea
5 minutes
Straighten Out
Something Better Change
Golden Brown
Thrown Away

Also, whenever I experience bad treatment or betrayals in my life (which seems to have happened a lot) I'll refer to the song Skin Deep, mid 80s but still great

Another great one isn't even a Stranglers song but from JJ Burnel's Euroman Cometh album.

Anyone got any thoughts?
Boardsie Exile

Re: The Stranglers were a great band

Post by Boardsie Exile »

Strange little girl.

....the song not you.
Fugue

Post by Fugue »

I love Skin Deep, Always The Sun, Strange Little Girl, European Female, No More Heroes, Go Buddy Go, and of course Golden Brown.
They did great covers - Walk On By, All Day and All of the Night, 96 Tears.
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

The Stranglers had some great tunes.

Here are some that I particularly liked.

Go Buddy Go
Peaches
Something Better Change
Nice 'n' Sleazy
5 Minutes
No More Heroes
Duchess
La Folie
European Female
Walk on By
No Mercy
Always the Sun
All Day and All of the Night
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Got to see them live a couple of times back in the day as we lived just 20 minutes away from the Rainbow theatre. I still have all their albums (which Hugh Cornwell sang on) up in the attic. The first track off Black and white is still my favourite to pogo along too ;)

BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Some good ones there that I had forgotten. Tank and Walk On By - brilliant.

Have to say though that while Always the Sun was probably the first Stranglers song I ever hear, I think that era was when they were declining badly. All Day/All Night is nowhere near as a good a cover as Walk On By was. Then Hugh left and they decided to release a remixed version of Always the Sun which was IMO worse than the original.

Now it's 34 years post Hugh and they are still going with Dave and Jet RIP. JJ is still youthful enough considering that he's in his 70s. Hard to believe that JJ Burnel is now officially OLD.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Bear Cage
Duchess
Midsummer Night's Dream (Extended Mix)
Get A Grip On Yourself

I got this CD box set for my 21st birthday - it's never far from the stereo.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2368410 ... -1977-1982
Fugue

Post by Fugue »

JJ was one handsome dude. Still looks good.

The bass on Peaches is just filthy!
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

I remember watching a Top Ten punk bands programme on Ch4 in the early 00s, IIRC The Stranglers were at no.3. Burnel was interviewed and looked very youthful. He aged significantly since then though - not exactly a surprise.

Anyone got Burnel's Euroman Cometh album? I love the Freddie Laker/Concorde song above, what a rant. Bit different to the topics that bands usually write songs about. Bizarre enough song but probably the most accessible and most Stranglers like one on the album. It vaguely reminds me of an actual Stranglers song - Rok It To The Moon.
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

BrianD3 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:27 pm Some good ones there that I had forgotten. Tank and Walk On By - brilliant.

Have to say though that while Always the Sun was probably the first Stranglers song I ever hear, I think that era was when they were declining badly. All Day/All Night is nowhere near as a good a cover as Walk On By was. Then Hugh left and they decided to release a remixed version of Always the Sun which was IMO worse than the original.

Now it's 34 years post Hugh and they are still going with Dave and Jet RIP. JJ is still youthful enough considering that he's in his 70s. Hard to believe that JJ Burnel is now officially OLD.
It is sad that both Dave Greenfield and Jet passed away. Dave's keyboards, in particular, were an important part of their sound. He did occasionally sing lead vocals, but not on any of their hits. He did contribute plenty of backing vocals though. So, JJ Burnel is keeping The Stranglers flag flying.