Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Music can drive one bonkers

The universal language of mankind

Music can drive one bonkers

Post by 765489 »

I heard a song, I assumed it was by a guitarist named Tony McAlpine. It was on my friend's cassette. Over 20 years later I'm still searching for it. I know part of the melody, I can play it but then goes into a fast legato flurry so to speak, then my brain hits a brick wall. Rythm section is fuzzy... it's an clean electric guitar sound. Every so often it drives me nuts... like tonight... I spent an hour going through all of this guys songs but it's not there. So I'm completely on the wrong track.... but it is in his style so I'm flummoxed

Anyone else have these experiences ?... It's on my bucket list before I die to find this song.
Love and theft

Re: Music can drive one bonkers

Post by Love and theft »

If it's that hard to find then it sounds like you might be able to use the melody as an original piece for yourself. You make it big off the back of that melody.. Tony mcalpine then contacts you (via a lawsuit) and says that's my song "insert title"..and hey presto you've found the name of the song 😋
Will I Amn’t
Verified Username

Post by Will I Amn’t »

I feel your pain. I heard a track during a warm up set at Gatecrasher in The Point years ago and it was stuck in my head for ages. Heard it again at a club night in the local, ran up to the DJ box and asked what the track was. He didn’t know, it was on a CD with a blank cover. Every now and then it pops into my head to annoy me. 15 years or so later and I’ve still never heard it again, there’s no lyrics and no real melody in the part I can remember. It’s annoying the feck out of me now. Thanks 😃

Post by 765489 »

Love and theft wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:48 pm If it's that hard to find then it sounds like you might be able to use the melody as an original piece for yourself. You make it big off the back of that melody.. Tony mcalpine then contacts you (via a lawsuit) and says that's my song "insert title"..and hey presto you've found the name of the song 😋
Or record the couple of seconds that are in my head and post him the melody. He probably gets 50 cds a week from random people so would put it in a big box to trick him into opening it. :D I'm thinking now it could be an interlude. I'm going to have to listen to every one of his songs.
Love and theft

Post by Love and theft »

Surely there must be a 'sounds like' app these days..you play the piece into the 'sounds like' app and boom.out comes the name of the song. That surely has to have been invented already😀

Post by 765489 »

Love and theft wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:31 pm Surely there must be a 'sounds like' app these days..you play the piece into the 'sounds like' app and boom.out comes the name of the song. That surely has to have been invented already😀
There are and I may have already travelled that path but I'm now unsure. I will whistle it into the app and see what comes up :)

Post by 765489 »

Found the song I've been searching for for I'd say the last 20 years since a childhood friend gave me a lend of a tape of his music. I knew there was a song with tapped arpeggios called Pandora's Box but it never came up in my searching until now. The guitarist's name was Dave Sharman, who is a British guitarists, who's name doesn't trip any switches in my brain.

One thing off my bucket list. It was the starting melody and the brief legato bursts in the middle I needed to hear again. I'm off to switch on big betsy, get another cup of coffee,line up the cancer sticks and blast it out of my speakers for the rest of the night.

Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

Here's a long shot.

There was an instrumental piece of music - kind of jazzy - that used to be played in the 1980s between programmes as a filler on Dublin 80s pirate Capitol/Nitesky Radio. It was unusual to hear it amid all the rock music. I was always curious what it was called and who it was by.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Remember how difficult it was to find a song before the internet - even if you knew some of the lyrics, where would you search for them.

I'm into motorsport and there were many compilations/montages on tv over the years that used songs I didn't know. E.g. the 1991 Grand Prix season montage had a song with the lyrics "I wanna fly - fly a Phantom"

Took me at least 10 years to identify it. I misheard the lyrics, it's Fountain not Phantom and the song is See No Evil by Television.

Another one was an instrumental segment of a track that was used in a 1996 montage and I became obsessed with. I had a recording of it and years later played it to the Shaznam app which identified the album and band but not the exact track. A little more digging told me it was Never Here by Elastica

Post by 765489 »

Dec A Wash wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:45 pm Here's a long shot.

There was an instrumental piece of music - kind of jazzy - that used to be played in the 1980s between programmes as a filler on Dublin 80s pirate Capitol/Nitesky Radio. It was unusual to hear it amid all the rock music. I was always curious what it was called and who it was by.
Is it in one of these jingles Dec ?

http://pirate.ie/archive/jingles-capito ... itesky-96/
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:58 pm Is it in one of these jingles Dec ?

No jazzy instrumental in that selection. I should have said it has a bit of funk in it too! I remember the Tony Allan and Bill Mitchell voiced ids, but not the others. (I didn't know that was Bill until now - always learning something new!)

The piece of music I am thinking of has a mix of keyboards, electric guitar, acoustic guitar and bass guitar.

Post by 95438756 »

Spare a thought.
Poor fella sure where will he have his pity party now
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i ... 63130.html

Post by 678904673 »

gugleguy wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:56 am Spare a thought.
Poor fella sure where will he have his pity party now
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i ... 63130.html
Retiring from showbiz. But the question is was he really ever involved
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

765489 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:58 pm Is it in one of these jingles Dec ?

Dec A Wash wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:44 pm No jazzy instrumental in that selection. I should have said it has a bit of funk in it too! I remember the Tony Allan and Bill Mitchell voiced ids, but not the others. (I didn't know that was Bill until now - always learning something new!)

The piece of music I am thinking of has a mix of keyboards, electric guitar, acoustic guitar and bass guitar.
I found it!

https://pirate.ie/archive/tags/capitol- ... 96/page/2/
Starts at 1:05 on the first recording of Nitesky Radio. It starts off as the presenter Dave Carney, aka Alan Cantwell, is signing off and continues on for a while afterwards.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Sounds like a West Coast instrumental from the Jeff Porcaro stable.

I have asked on the Steve Hoffman Forums about it - will let you know if I find out anything
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Dec A Wash wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:45 pm I found it!

https://pirate.ie/archive/tags/capitol- ... 96/page/2/
Starts at 1:05 on the first recording of Nitesky Radio. It starts off as the presenter Dave Carney, aka Alan Cantwell, is signing off and continues on for a while afterwards.
Earl Klugh - Heat, opening track on the soundtrack of Just Between Friends
https://www.discogs.com/release/3903739 ... Soundtrack