Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Slane music concerts began 40 years ago!

The universal language of mankind
quodec

Slane music concerts began 40 years ago!

Post by quodec »

16th August marks the 40th anniversary of the first Slane concert in Co Meath. A ticket for the event cost £8 ticket and featured bands such as Megahype, The Bureau, Sweet Savage , Rose Tattoo, Hazel O'Connor, U2 and the headliner Thin Lizzy. As a 20 year old on the beer that day, I don't remember much of the earlier supports but can can recall Angry Anderson, lead singer of Rose Tattoo, getting cans/bottles thrown at him. Hazel did pretty well considering the rock audience. U2 were an up an coming band, still trying to establish themselves in the music world. I didn't 'get them' but the crowd in general were receptive. Then Lizzy came on and naturally were the highlight of the day and who most people were there for, but, despite their familiar set list I felt they were just going through the motions at times! Phil even had to encourage new guitarist Snowy White to come closer to the front of the stage as he hung back alot! It was my first outdoor music gig and one I will always remember (well most of it) and the first of 5 outings to Slane concerts during the 80s.
So 40 years later, were any of you at this gig or have any memories of the day itself?
Strangely Brown

Re: Slane music concerts began 40 years ago!

Post by Strangely Brown »

Saw Bob Dylan with UB40 at Slane in 84. Mad weekend with the rowdy drunks attacking the Garda station and breaking windows on the night before the concert. Not a big Dylan fan but it was great craic all the same.
"I'm Living on Dog food"
Dec A Wash

Re: Slane music concerts began 40 years ago!

Post by Dec A Wash »

I saw David Bowie in 1987 with his Glass Spider Tour. The support act that I remember before him was Big Country. They were good but Bowie was excellent.