Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Musical Instruments: Percussion

The universal language of mankind

Musical Instruments: Percussion

Post by 95438756 »

I play the Piano, years ago I went as far as Grade V. I use a Digital Thomann Piano now. My old Piano is out of tune, and irreparable.

Watched this cool video on Business Insider YouTube channel, about Steinway Pianos - It really helps if you have deep pockets!

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Musical Instruments: Percussion

Post by CelticRambler »

For some reason, although my sister was sent to piano lessons, I was sent off learn the accordion. Piano accordion, so I know how to make a piano-piano work, but never developed the muscle memory to make it a pleasure to play. But I do have a Roland electric piano, and a childhood friend who installs himself at it when he comes to visit and churns out tune after tune after tune after tune until he's told it's time to eat or go sight seeing or do something other than play the piano! :lol:

I've recently taken things back a step and opted for the slightly more portable precursor to the piano, the hammered dulcimer; the Bernese chromatic variety, as played here:

This instrument is very common in, but almost completely restricted to, Switzerland and Austria (and parts of the US settled by immigrants from these countries). My interest was sparked by an Apenzeller player (Nicolas Senn) but those versions are the Steinway of dulcimers. Working regularly within sight of Switzerland, I spotted a bargain when the Salvation Army in Bern had one but the online ad suggested they didn't really seem to know what they had and priced it accordingly. Thought I'd made a wasted excursion when I couldn't find it with the musical instruments in their warehouse ... but as I was on my way towards the exit, I saw it parked with the art-deco furniture! 8-)
RTrew

Re: Musical Instruments: Percussion

Post by RTrew »

What I listen to now comprehensively? Far, far from it.

But yeah, good point. What I just said doesnt make for a nice, simple, one-sentence answer verbally, though.