Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Weather

Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.
mmercedes84

Re: Weather

Post by mmercedes84 »

I think the apocalypse has come to Cork , this weather is desperate
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I'm just going to go ahead and make a prediction. It's not my strong suit - especially with sports and elections, but I'm marginally better with the weather. I reckon a fair chance of very cold weather is coming and it might be quite chilly by or before mid December, 7th to 15th ish... maybe even 🌨️❄️ 🌨️ I see a bit of talk in various places about a lot of cold air above the Arctic. That might move down.

Let's see.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
KHD

Post by KHD »

Awaiting another beast from the east. :mrgreen:
DSC00141.JPG
quodec

Post by quodec »

Yep, the Beeb are predicting a pretty cold week from Monday onwards. Time to get the winter woolies and hot water bottles out!!!!

Post by 678904673 »

I know most of us aren't the biggest fan of Boards. Their Weather forum is excellent for this sort of thing. Has some very knowledgeable posters.

Well worth checking out
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

All I want is two more frost-free weeks so there's an outside chance that my unpicked tomatoes might still be edible when I get home. Then it can drop to -20°C for as long as it wants! :mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:54 pm All I want is two more frost-free weeks so there's an outside chance that my unpicked tomatoes might still be edible when I get home. Then it can drop to -20°C for as long as it wants! :mrgreen:
I think it will be a nail-biting few days towards the end of that time frame for you, then.
KHD

Post by KHD »

isha wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:46 pm I'm just going to go ahead and make a prediction. It's not my strong suit - especially with sports and elections, but I'm marginally better with the weather. I reckon a fair chance of very cold weather is coming and it might be quite chilly by or before mid December, 7th to 15th ish... maybe even 🌨️❄️ 🌨️ I see a bit of talk in various places about a lot of cold air above the Arctic. That might move down.

Let's see.
I think we have discovered our very own Irish Punxsutawney Phil in the above poster. :mrgreen:

Your talents at weather predictions are wasted Isha.

Alert message from Met Eireann:
Very cold this week as an Arctic airmass sets in, bringing sharp to severe frosts and icy stretches on roads. Showers of hail, sleet, and snow will occur during the second half of the week. Updates with potential warnings will be issued in the coming daysFor winter weather preperation: www.winterready.ieGet your 10-day location forecast on: www.met.ie
Event: Advisory
Severity: Yellow
Valid from: Sun. 04/12 @ 11AM
Valid to: Sat. 10/12 @ 11PM
Affected Areas: Ireland
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

My talents at many things are unfortunately wasted 🙂
KHD

Post by KHD »

isha wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:23 pm My talents at many things are unfortunately wasted 🙂
Unfortunately I had to thank that post but it would be better if there was a button for occasions like this where I could hit the "not true" button. :mrgreen:
KHD

Post by KHD »

Anyway, roll on the snow. Can't wait!

Post by 678904673 »

Absolutely miserable in Dublin. Seems like it hasn't stopped raining since Friday
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Not bad in Enniscorthy today with just a few chilly showers.
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

We haven't seen even a flake of snow and already there's speculation about schools closing. Jesus wept.

Post by 678904673 »

Crisp & cool day in Dublin 7. No sign of the freezing temperatures yet
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Nice frost this morning.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

That being said, the office at home is south facing and I've lovely sun coming in now making it nice and cozy....
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Well, no sign of snowmageddon. Last night was the opportunity, and it has passed without a flake.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Rte are really milking this this morning. A bit of frost and the interviewer asked what part of the country is being gritted.
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

KHD wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:50 am Rte are really milking this this morning. A bit of frost and the interviewer asked what part of the country is being gritted.
RTÉ scaring the elderly with latest hyperbolic drive, a few years ago nobody batted an eyelid at -4. Who knew that frost could occur over the winter months, next we'll be hearing about this elusive phenomenon known as summer. The colour charts are unveiled and campaign of fear ramped up at every instance where the weather slightly deviates from the norm. Conditioning the nation into whinging softies who cannot cope with a frozen windshield and other trivial non-issues. People need to prioritise their mental health and ignore the tabloid hacks.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
quodec

Post by quodec »

I grew up in the country in the 60s and 70s and some of my winter memories are of trying to get and stay warm..... constantly! But it was so part of our home experience, the frosted windows ... on the inside, sitting close by the fire range, even if the TV was facing the other way and looking for the hot water bottle in the evenings before bed, that all this yellow warning stuff about a few freezing nights just sets my teeth on edge. Have we no backbone any more? God help the wusses if they feel a bit cold in our centrally heated world!!!!
(Am I allowed to use the word 'wusses' now? Not sure!)
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Breath-taking cold this morning. Gorgeous clear sky.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Two reports on RTE today. One said we have over 200,000 tonnes of salt and grit available, the most ever. The second said people were slipping and falling and skidding on icy roads and footpaths. This is typical of the defensive thinking of Civil Servants, they're more concerned about being able to boast about how well they are doing to amass the stuff, than in actually putting it to use when and where it is needed.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Tonight on Newstalk, Ciaran Cuddihy trying to blame the public for being alarmist about the weather but was roundly put back in his box by callers correctly pointing out that it's the media. This morning Ciara Kelly was really whooping it up and Tara Duggan was quite breathless with her warnings on the morning news broadcasts. No more than you would expect from Killinaskully FM.

Freezing in Enniscorthy tonight and I had to go out for a few minutes which proved worthwhile as my Victorian pile now seems like the Bahamas.
'no more blah blah blah'
KHD

Post by KHD »

Taken from the RTE website

"The National Emergency Coordination Group will meet tomorrow morning at 10.30am to assess the weather and its impact."

-5 forecasted and the media goes into meltdown. We are in fooking WINTER ffs.