Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Storm warnings and aftermath.

Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.

Storm warnings and aftermath.

Post by 490808 »

As we have two named storms coming in a row I thought we might find a storm warning and aftermath thread useful.

So if you hadn't heard about them already may I introduce Storm Dudley and Storm Eunice https://www.rte.ie/news/weather/2022/02 ... r-ireland/

Down on the South Coast near Waterford I don't think we are in any serious trouble today from Dudley but Eunice looks much worse for wind and rain. I hate the wind but rain is our nemesis here with nearly an inch (25mm) predicted on Friday night/Saturday morning. That said I'm looking at Met.ie for my info (when will I ever learn) so who knows.
Status Yellow - Wind warning for Ireland
Met Éireann Weather Warning

Westerly winds associated with Storm Dudley will reach mean speeds of 50 – 65km/h with damaging gusts of 80 – 110km/h, stronger on exposed coasts and on high ground.

A combination of high tide and strong winds will lead to flooding on exposed coasts.

Valid: 12:00 Wednesday 16/02/2022 to 12:00 Thursday 17/02/2022

Issued: 16:34 Monday 14/02/2022
Weather Advisory for Ireland
Through Thursday night and Friday, Storm Eunice will track eastwards over Ireland. It has the potential to be a multi-hazard and disruptive event with damaging winds, heavy rain and snow possible.

Current indications are that the strongest winds are most likely to affect southern counties and the most significant falls of snow are most likely over central and northern parts of the country with locally blizzard conditions possible for a time and disruption to travel.

Warnings will be issued on Wednesday morning and updated on Thursday morning.

Valid: 16:13 Tuesday 15/02/2022 to 15:00 Friday 18/02/2022

Issued: 16:13 Tuesday 15/02/2022

Updated: 17:13 Tuesday 15/02/2022
One thing I noticed is that the Rosslare to UK and back ferries are cancelled for today.
isha
Verified Username

Re: Storm warnings and aftermath.

Post by isha »

I am (moderately) depressed aka fed up that we have all this fecken wind and rain ahead of us when I am thoroughly sick of endless rain, sodden soil and grey skies already. The only hope for climatic restitution in my graces right now are full on blizzards. If blizzards happen then I will forgive all.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

The media hyperbole storm is arguably more powerful, long-term impacts include chronic apathy. Scare Byrne breathlessly leading the charge to ramp up fear factor. Not long ago, a gale 8 would pass (pun intended) unnoticed except for the sea area forecast and directly exposed headlands. I hear RTÉ are sending out Teresa Mannion to Fastnet lighthouse, with any luck she'll end up marooned. Tamp down your bins with a pebble, they might oscillate and that's a heart attack waiting to happen.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I think the amount of warnings is making people jaded and half ignoring the warnings. Then when there's a serious storm on the way, people won't take heed of the serious warning.

Post by 490808 »

I think part of the issue is that storms are getting named that don't even officially qualify as storms.
A strict meteorological definition of a terrestrial storm is a wind measuring 10 or higher on the Beaufort scale, meaning a wind speed of 24.5 m/s (89 km/h, 55 mph) or more; however, popular usage is not so restrictive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

1pm: Damp in Enniscorthy but not raining.
According to the Beaufort Scale https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale we are at 2 out of 12.
'no more blah blah blah'
Frank

Post by Frank »

It is absolutely lashing it down with high winds in SW Dublin. Almost undriveable.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

1.58pm: Enniscorthy - heavy downpour.

2.17pm: Over and sun out.
Last edited by Del.Monte on Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

Northern exposed areas look to be getting it worst, but apart from the inevitable gusts the strongest average winds seem to be below stormforce.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Maybe we should get Michael Fish out to predict what will happen!!!

Post by 765489 »

Red warning issued for Cork and Kerry. Basically don't be out doing anything daft in the strong wind.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

We had two prolonged power cuts yesterday, no internet, no mobile, and had to run the fecken hot water off as stove was full blast. So I am presuming more power cuts to come with more wind due. More baths for me and more candle-light reading. Blizzards is the main thing that will make this right - I am looking forward to putting up a lovely photo of deep snow!
quodec

Post by quodec »

Ok folks, wind and rain building up here in the NE as Storm Eunice gets ready to hit. Stay safe and lets hope it's not as severe as predicted.
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Small bit of wind at the moment, nothing major.
Over hyped warnings as per usual.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

So far, very little wind, though intermittent electricity all the same 🙄 and a MISERABLE amount of snow. Not impressed.

Post by 765489 »

Not a breath of wind where I am in NCD. Plenty of water about. Must have rained a good sup last night.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

JONJO THE MISER wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:44 am Small bit of wind at the moment, nothing major.
Over hyped warnings as per usual.
A bit like all those warnings of imminent Russian invasion, wouldn't you say? :P
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Very lite dusting of snow for a minute or two in kilbeggan. And no sign of russian spetsnaz forces coming down the hill to my house.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

They come in under the bed, don't they? :mrgreen:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

CelticRambler wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:27 am They come in under the bed, don't they? :mrgreen:
I could place me auld runners under the bed that would be more effective at keeping russkies out than any amount of claymore anti personnel mines. :lol:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Quite gusty in Enniscorthy the last hour or so but the roof's still on!
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Snow flurries a few minutes ago but gone again now.
'no more blah blah blah'
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Anyone watching big jet tv, its gone viral this morning, planes landing at Heathrow.

Post by 765489 »

JONJO THE MISER wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:52 pm Anyone watching big jet tv, its gone viral this morning, planes landing at Heathrow.
Was watching it there earlier on. Pilot training being put to the test there today.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Yep, some amazing landings happening!!! Addictive - and scary!

Last edited by quodec on Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.