Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Iceland Volcano Watch

Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.
isha
Verified Username

Iceland Volcano Watch

Post by isha »

I was quite surprised to hear there were 800 quakes registered between midnight and 1400 GMT (2pm Irish time) Friday in Iceland. Including two pretty large quakes.

Grindavik, with a population of 4000 and a name out of a Tolkien book, is poised for evacuation.

Another thing that is poised is the local volcano which is presently filling with magma. PS this is not an image of any volcano on the Reykjanes peninsula - it's an opportunistic gif.

Which of us can ever forget Eyjafjallajokull in 2010, when a volcano whose name we could not pronounce made it seem like we might be forced back to the pre-flight Neolithic? I actually had a premonition before that volcano erupted with the ash cloud- I plucked at some bog myrtle in passing on a walk and a plume of orange spores (I think )rose up and I said out loud, oooooh a volcano erupting, and then there was an ash cloud in real life.

I'm afraid this time, what with work pressure and the discomforts of menopause, I'm psychically inert. Unlike the volcanos up in Reykjanes!!

I will keep watch.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/1111/14159 ... rthquakes/
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Re: Iceland Volcano Watch

Post by isha »

Well it looks like magma flow has overtaken my reportage and Grindavik is being evacuated ..
All roads into the town of around 4,000 people are closed other than for emergencies, to ensure traffic can get in and out.

In an statement on Friday, the IMO said "significant changes have occurred in the seismic activity", with tremors moving towards Grindavík over the course of the day.

It added that magma has likely extended beneath the town and it was "not possible to determine exactly" whether or where it could emerge.

"The amount of magma involved is significantly more than what was observed in the largest magma intrusions associated with the eruptions at Fagradalsfjall," the IMO said.
Fagradalsfall.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67387827
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Here are people visiting Iceland and seemingly enjoying the possibility of being splatted by molten rock 👀

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

May I ask if the tweets I put in the thread embed for readers, or if they only show as a link to X? They embed for me but that may be because I'm logged into X.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Yeh, we can see them isha. Scary times for the locals in the area! It’s difficult to fathom what they must be experiencing at the moment. It’s no joke when Mother Nature goes off kilter as we know only too well from the recent flooding here in the NE.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

More volcanic eruptions could be further symptoms of climate change. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2023/08/ ... volcanoes/

Post by 678904673 »

In the unfortunate event of an eruption let's hope its off no great magma-tude

I'll get my coat
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I was out for a spin and this was the cloud to the north of me. I'm not saying any volcanoes on Reykjanes peninsula WILL erupt but there's signs and omens, friends 👀

Apelles

Post by Apelles »

[/quote]

As a word it might sound a bit like a sex act . . but is that whats commonly referred to as cumulonimbus?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I don't know. It looked like a volcano erupting. Twas odd.

I'll be baaaack with actual volcano updates soon.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

This account has very up to date reports

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A magma tunnel is forming near Grindavík, about 1.5 kilometers deep at its shallowest. It&#39;s around twelve kilometers long, extending from Stóra-Skógfell to the sea. Geophysicist Magnús Tumi Guðmundsson notes surface land movement is less than one meter, but three meters… <a href="https://t.co/6mz0YudTda">pic.twitter.co ... </p>&mdash; Volcaholic 🌋 (@volcaholic1) <a href=" 11, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Quieter today it seems and the people in Grindavik might get a chance to go back for their animals.

I saw a post yesterday from an expert, apparently, who said that any on land eruption in the area would not create the ash cloud we saw in 2010. It would have to be under the sea eruptions for that. So any eruptions will have quite a localised effect.
Good morning 😎

❗️ #Iceland: I've put together a summarised update you:

44 earthquakes over the last hour.

880 earthquakes recorded on #Reykjanes Peninsula between midnight and 6 a.m, all below magnitude three.

Seismic activity smaller than the previous two nights, indicating relative calm.

Highest activity reported northeast of #Grindavík, with no extension into the sea at the moment.

Natural hazard expert Elísabet Pálmadóttir notes expected smaller earthquakes when magma is close to the surface.

Data received at 2 a.m. shows little change, and there's no indication of activity approaching the surface.

Civil Defense considers allowing Grindavík residents back briefly for essential items, pending a mid-afternoon risk assessment.

Prime Minister Katrín Jakobsdóttir calls a cabinet meeting at noon to discuss the situation and response to earthquakes.

Bill submitted for the construction of defense structures to protect Reykjanes Peninsula's infrastructure.

Ongoing monitoring for signs of a volcanic eruption; experts estimate eruption could be hours to days away.

Plan reportedly in place to retrieve animals left in Grindavík.

More info and live updates here...ruv.is/english/2023-1…
quodec

Post by quodec »

The land of fire and snow - Mesmerising!