Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Who do you use for your weather forecast and why?

Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.

Who do you use for your weather forecast and why?

Post by 490808 »

I primarily use MetEireann's met.ie site because I like the way the weeks weather is displayed on a desktop PC.

However recently I've been doing some very weather sensitive work outside and met.ie often totally fails to predict with any degree of accuracy when its going to rain.

Now I check out Accuweather.com who seem much more accurate although it takes more effort to find the information I want.

Today I wanted to do some work on our roof which needs taking covers off. met.ie says no rain for our area and accuweather indicated 3 periods when it might rain (51-54% chance) and the first period they indicated it rained, possibly still more to come. It would have really messed up my day if I'd got started on an outside job with fiberglass if I'd relied on met.ie.
schmittel
Verified Username

Re: Who do you use for your weather forecast and why?

Post by schmittel »

Yr.no for me. Starting using it years ago when discovered it was noticeably more accurate than most. Had no reason to change it since. Recommended.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

These last couple of months, I've given up on all forecasting sites and go with my gut feeling and a look out the window! Like you, Continental, I've been doing a lot of weather-sensitive work, and until this year, our nationa weather forecaster meteofrance.fr localised to my townland would give me spot-on info for the days, weeks, or even hour ahead. But this year it'll tell me there's no rain forecast for the next hour ... while it's teeming outside.

According to last night's forecast, today was supposed to start bright-but-overcast, become a bit dull with a high chance of showers in the afternoon, then brighten up again in the evening - exactly the same as yesterday. So I organised my schedule around that. Grey as anything and feckin' freezing this morning :x and now that I've got to my "rainy afternoon" tasks, the sun's come out. :evil:

I've looked at accuweather a few times over the years to compare it with meteofrance and haven't found it all that reliable. For the 2-day forecast, though, nothing beats keeping an eye on the farmer neighbours: when the tractors, combines and balers suddenly start going like the clappers and working till 10pm or midnight, you can be damn sure there's some awful weather on the way! :D
Supercell
Verified Username

Post by Supercell »

My own weather website, has all I need right there :)
PogMoThoin

Post by PogMoThoin »

Supercell wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:26 pm My own weather website, has all I need right there :)
Yep, I've also got my own weather station. I use this weather app to give me a combination of readings from my own station (or local station when away from home) and forecasts, satellite images and graphs from multiple other sites. I can trust it's prediction of rain down to 5 mins

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... herstation
quodec

Post by quodec »

There's this guy on the other channel. Some of you might have heard of him - MT Cranium! He's pretty good! We should get him to do guest appearances here!
notfromhere
Verified Username

Post by notfromhere »

First up its BBC breakfast in the morning, there weather coverage is usually spot on, then i have a glance at MT there are a few other posters there who's forecast is usually good aswell, Apps that i use are Shadow Weather and Weawow both free and fairly good.

Post by 490808 »

I also try and watch the weekly forecast on BBC 1's Country File. Normally while shouting at the TV move your elbow out the way.
Comhrá
Verified Username

Post by Comhrá »

For lightning strikes countrywide: https://www.blitzortung.org/en/historic ... php?map=12
For visible cloud cover of Ireland: (during daylight hours) https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/satel ... nd-visible
For weather radar and more: https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I use a mixture of yr.no and the Met.ie. I find the weather after the news can be very inaccurate.

I find Windfinder good for seeing what way the wind will be blowing and when.

Post by 765489 »

The met.ie app.