Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Weather

Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Weather

Post by Del.Monte »

According to Evelyn Cusack this morning the Irish 'heatwave' is over tonight.
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It's another day for the kaftan. I have this loose kaftan that is really light and I don't know where I would be without it in very warm sticky weather. It even generates its own breeze as you walk! Men of course can wear kaftans also - think how comfortable you would be in this rather than teeshirts/shirts and pants on a day like today. You know you want this kaftan right now! :mrgreen:

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 765489 »

No breeze out today where I am. Some heat out.
quodec

Post by quodec »

26c here in mid Louth. Even the breeze is warm. Mustn't complain though. If we were guaranteed this for a couple of weeks every year, you wouldn't have to queue up at the airports!!!

Post by 765489 »

32 degrees in Naas. The only time I was ever in this heat was over in Virginia in the states!

Edit, fecking Red Cow not Naas, heat is getting to me thinking of the Naas road.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It's fairly warm alright. In some ways I love it. In other ways I'm definitely sweating 😂

But my daughter sent me her weather forecast. We are going back to rain and 16 degrees soon enough - in a day or two, like. We really can't complain.
IMG_20220718_154010_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
IMG_20220718_154010_Easy-Resize.com.jpg (237.22 KiB) Viewed 2784 times
quodec

Post by quodec »

Granted car temps, but on a 15 min journey from mid-Louth to the coast, the reading dropped from 28.5 to 21.5!!!! Sea breeze making the difference!
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Ah 'tis grand here in the Real Capital. All I saw on a very in accurate thermometer (the car) was 24 coming home.

I had 35 in Spain in the middle of May
mmercedes84

Post by mmercedes84 »

Think that's as hot as it gets for this year.
Was okay here down in Cork. Struggle keeping kids cool, but not as hot as expected.
mmercedes84

Post by mmercedes84 »

conspiracy-w0l7fs.jpg
conspiracy-w0l7fs.jpg (69.57 KiB) Viewed 2753 times
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

😭😭😭

Post by 765489 »

The future custodians of the planet going by the last photo. Dirty ba@stards, someone else will clean up our mess attitude.

Post by 765489 »

25 degrees here, and my dad is lighting a fire to heat up the water so he can take a bath. :shock: I've been taking cold showers for the last two years. I think its probably time to get someone in to fix the heating system. :mrgreen:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Well, back to normal here. It was raining this morning.....

Post by 765489 »

Few belts of thunder where I am. Hope it buckets down with the rain 😀 Just for a few hours and then it can go away again.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I'm going to sound almost sensible but the lawn could do with the rain......
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I'm currently testing a new solar & fridge installation for the camper. Taking it to the festival was a good stress test - 38°C "in the shade" every afternoon (there was, of course, no shade in the middle of the field) - but in the supermarket carpark on the way home, my various thermometers couldn't agree on whether it was 40 or 44°C

Today, thanks to strong south-westerly winds, we're getting a massive amount of smoke and a "burning plastic" smell from the fires down in the Gironde. Pretty impressive, considering they're 400km away. In fact the local authorities have had to put out a press release telling people not to call the fire service because they can "smell burning and see smoke", but only if they can actually see something burning.

Post by 765489 »

Are air-conditioning units common place in houses in France CR ?
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

The fridge on mine kinda gives up the ghost on sustained temperatures above 35C. I had almost two weeks of above 35C when I was in Spain. It took the camper 3 days in the shade for the body to cool down when I got home there was so much heat built up in it
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

A topic worthy of its own thread, but in the meantime ...
Hairy-Joe wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:47 pm The fridge on mine kinda gives up the ghost on sustained temperatures above 35C. I had almost two weeks of above 35C when I was in Spain. It took the camper 3 days in the shade for the body to cool down when I got home there was so much heat built up in it
Yeah, absorption fridges get progressively less useful the more you need them! I'd already made the decision to swap mine for a "proper" fridge anyway (helped by some very useful discussion over on Boards, back in the day) before the 3-way started sulking repeatedly last winter. I managed to get the last parts of this system together just in time for the festival.

In the course of my researches, I found that all fridges have a nominal operating range (I've known for a long time that a lot of them don't like to be in a cold room) and this one is supposedly effective up to 38°C ambient temp. In my pre-festival field test, I deliberately cooked the camper to 38-40°C internal temp, and the fridge did manage to chill the interior from 30 to 10-ish and keep it there.

During the festival, with the appropriate use of sunshades and open windows & vents, I was mostly able to keep the camper's internal temp a few degrees cooler than the temps outside, and had the fridge running at 4-5°C for most of the day and all of the night. Also very pleased to see that it lives up to the claim of being able to freeze from fresh.

The one potential hiccup came from an unexpected angle: the fridge's heat is diffused from the side panels. :shock: Wha' ??? When did we abandon the practice of venting heat through fins at the rear? Given that I chose this fridge for its tight fit into the space available, this could be a problem with the permanent installation. More thinking involved before

Ncdjd2 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:06 pm Are air-conditioning units common place in houses in France CR ?
In the towns and cities, increasingly so; out here in the sticks, no so much. Stone walls and the correct use of shutters works as well as any air conditioner. Except when I have Irish visitors (who insist on opening the shutters in the middle of the day "to let the light in" :evil: ) I can usually keep the indoor room temp under 25°C without any aircon or mechanical ventilation.

(Ditto for "my" castle at the festival - our musicians were more grateful than ever to have our cool storage available. I think we maxed out at about a million euro's worth of pipes and fiddles and accordions and other things that go ggnneeeee and hhhaaaaawww and gdonnnnngg ! :mrgreen: )
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Just looking at the fires in urban areas in Kent and East London, having only read a few minutes ago about the EU deciding to invest in a new fleet of fire-fighting aircraft to reinforce the equipment owned by national services. Presumably the Member States will get first dibs on any available planes, and any self-isolating Third Countries will be left to sort things out for themselves ... :roll:

(yeah, I know that aerial drops aren't always a good idea in urban areas ... just engaging in a bit of lateral thinking/speculation)
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I can't complain too much. It was grand for about a week at 35C but there was a few days when I was parked with no wind.

I saw the benefit of "old skool engineering" when wandering around Cadiz. A lot of the streets acted as funnels for the air, creating nice drafts. There was very small windows facing south and the Moorish/Arabic practice of natural buildings worked very well.

I learned to shut every blind the hard way when one day I forgot to close the bathroom roof blind......
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:07 am

😭😭😭
To ease your pain, isha, here's a picture of our festival campsite after the 5000 or so campers packed up their tents yesterday but before the clean-up team moved in today:

Kadman may not approve of the pastime, but these dress-wearing bearded men and barefoot dancing damsels know how to deal with their own mess.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Looks great. The field I mean.
The biggest thing for me is the possibility of broken glass. A beach is a place where children (and me!) are often barefoot. A piece of glass through the foot could feck you up very badly. From having lived in Europe I know this is something that would astonish young people from elsewhere (unless things have changed a lot). It would be unthinkable.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

London on Sky - unreal stuff with houses burning.

'no more blah blah blah'