Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Weather

Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Weather

Post by CelticRambler »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:45 pm Still no government guidance..... :roll:
Is there any point? No matter what the government says or does, you'll still have people saying "How can we be short of water when we live on a wet, rainy island?" and look for the most obscure "reasonable use" loopholes to justify wasting as much as they always have done.

I had to talk my father out of buying me a pressure washer last month. He had real trouble getting his head around the idea that just because they're on sale in the shops doesn't mean one can use them when the drought restrictions come in here, as they surely would because the enjoyed the last of the rain the day after they arrived. The drought restrictions came in two weeks after they left; no pressure washing of anything now till the end of October.

But, of course, you'll still see (French) people happily spraying drinking water through their Kärcher because they think the look of their car/patio/pebble dash is more important than conserving scarce resources.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:33 pm Is there any point? No matter what the government says or does, you'll still have people saying "How can we be short of water when we live on a wet, rainy island?" and look for the most obscure "reasonable use" loopholes to justify wasting as much as they always have done.

I had to talk my father out of buying me a pressure washer last month. He had real trouble getting his head around the idea that just because they're on sale in the shops doesn't mean one can use them when the drought restrictions come in here, as they surely would because the enjoyed the last of the rain the day after they arrived. The drought restrictions came in two weeks after they left; no pressure washing of anything now till the end of October.

But, of course, you'll still see (French) people happily spraying drinking water through their Kärcher because they think the look of their car/patio/pebble dash is more important than conserving scarce resources.
No, while you will always have people who ignore all rules (they are only for little people) it has been shown with simple things like plastic bags, smoking bans, recycling etc. that the majority are just waiting to be given a lead.
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

But in all fairness the government dont give a shite about water either. They only want to pressurize the ordinary folk, and do little about company and corporate water wastage. I see tens of thousands of gallons of water syphoned from the local river system, decimating the river....and its all carted by tractor to the local racecourse at the day before a race meeting. To make sure the going is soft for the nags.
EPA were contacted on numerous occasions.......................but never acknowledged one e mail.

Its like all the big fishkills on the midland lakes, of which there are many. No one is accountable...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Heard a lad from An Fóram Uisce - The Water Forum on Newstalk this morning discussing - water! Who ever heard of this government talking shop before? Established as recently as June 2018 here's the website: https://thewaterforum.ie/ Isn't it great though, all our water problems sorted. :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'
quodec

Post by quodec »

Here in the NE, we're heading into a fourth week of bright sun, occasional cloud and dry dry dry all the way to next weekend. These long stretches of high pressure seem to be something a regular event this last 4 or 5 summers. Despite what it might mean long-term, I seem to be enjoying them all the same!!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Warning from our local authority that our undrinkable water supply is now being cut off at night to save on supplies. I'm well stocked up on bottled water as I have given up drinking or even washing my teeth with waste water from upstream Bunclody.

'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:57 am Warning from our local authority that our undrinkable water supply is now being cut off at night to save on supplies. I'm well stocked up on bottled water as I have given up drinking or even washing my teeth with waste water from upstream Bunclody.

It's not so long since they were telling use we'd had the wettest February/March in living memory. There must be some deserted valley up around the Blackstairs where you could construct a new reservoir, but that would require forward planning and I can't see any Government TD capable of that. Unless of course, you gave them advance knowledge so they could buy the land for themselves.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It was a glorious afternoon. Now very thundery. But still very little rain. We need a good downpour then back to sunshine.

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Jesus. Tralee!!
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

The cinema in Tralee. You can look up other videos. The Dunnes Stores there is destroyed, evacuated.

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Any chance that some of that weather could hit south Leitrim too - please! :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

We finally got the rain. A lot of it. ⛈️⛈️⛈️
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Heavy rain, thunder and lightning with massize hailstones in east Roscommon earlier this evening. It was so heavy it blasted the moss off the roof and we were worried about it breaking the skylights . . which thankfully it didn't.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Apelles wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:15 pm Heavy rain, thunder and lightning with massize hailstones in east Roscommon earlier this evening. It was so heavy it blasted the moss off the roof and we were worried about it breaking the skylights . . which thankfully it didn't.
Excellent, hopefully it will take out that little kip just north of Rooskey. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:19 pm Excellent, hopefully it will take out that little kip just north of Rooskey. :mrgreen:
I have to ask Del, as you've alluded to it so many times.
What's your issue with Leitrim about?
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Lashing out of the heavens again now with thunder and lightning looming. Just finished cutting my hedge in the nick of time.😌
Leg End Reject
Verified Username

Post by Leg End Reject »

Thunder kicking off again in Kildare.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Just had a massive downpour here, thunder, lightning and hail. Must have been flooding somewhere in town as the Gardai have Castle Hill blocked off.

Edit: Wires down but road now reopened.
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Del? 😳😳😳

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I was just coming to post this...I live very close to where the Twitter pic was taken, and this one, but fortunately at the top of a hill. The house always manages to surprise me in bad weather and today sprung a leak on the second floor - two floors away from the roof! :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

Yeah one of the lads is living htere, size of the bastarding hail stones they had. You'd get some pain in the ceann from em.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

First the rain, a couple of weeks of that has been a pain, but now it's windy and cold! Stove back on, windows closed, cardigan, for goodness sake!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Raining most of the day here in the Sunny South East.
'no more blah blah blah'
quodec

Post by quodec »

Currently spending a week in the south of Portugal. Fresh morning air at the beach followed by temps up to 30 and looking for shade but the balmy evenings soon arrive and it’s time for some food and a drink in the local hostelries. Sorry for your troubles, folks😎
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I have heard bad winds coming. Up to 120kph possibly. What a pain. I loved our hot June.