Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Weather

Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.
windows7

Re: Weather

Post by windows7 »

very nice weather the last 2 days here - not only sunny but also warm, it has been great for working in the garden
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Here on my bit of the Continent we've had "lovely" weather for the last week, but getting to the uncomfortably hot stage now - no less than 25°C every afternoon, and flirting with 30°C in places. The downside is that we're also sliding rapidly into drought conditions ... again. The more southerly parts of the country have had only 30% of their usual winter-spring rainfall, and summer cereal producers are warning that their harvests (if they even get a harvest) will be considerably lower than usual.

What's the betting, though, that we get three weeks of constant rain throughout the three weeks I've earmarked for the next set of major pond excavation ... ?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Et voilà ... the temperature outside my workplace has hit 30°C this afternoon, and my home département's drought status has been upgraded to "vigilance" which means the rivers and streams are starting to dry up - something we don't usually see until late June/July in a bad year. Could be a long, brown summer. :(
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I think this year is going to be very warm in Europe. I HOPE this year is not going to be very wet here!
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
quodec

Post by quodec »

High pressure developing close to Ireland later this week, so expect more sunshine and temps of 19-20c. can't wait!

Post by 765489 »

I need one more day of rain for my plants and fruit trees. Don't be jinxing me with all yer sunny weather vibes. :p
windows7

Post by windows7 »

beautiful day out there, make the most of it everyone because next week looks unsettled.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Lovely earlier, now MASSIVE THUNDER AND LIGHTNING 😱😱😱😱😱
quodec

Post by quodec »

Plenty of rain coming for the next few days. Got my grass cut today in between the showers, so happy out!
windows7

Post by windows7 »

Looks like there might be some nice weather this weekend, definitely looking forward to it after how wet the weather has been here the last few days.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

IMG_20220604_152513_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
IMG_20220604_152513_Easy-Resize.com.jpg (201.01 KiB) Viewed 3649 times
There were about 7 people on this beach when I was there yesterday. Woohoo! It was gorgeous weather. Going back today as soon as the sun comes out. 🌞🌞🌞
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Did you have to queue long at the airport to get there?
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Yesterday and the day before were just gorgeous but today is an absolute wash out. Up in the NW anyway - pouring since early morning. I suppose the potatoes (some of them in background here) will like it...but not me! There's a fair amount of rain forecast but hopefully it will also heat up a bit most days and have some sunshine. I neeeeeeddd a good summer. I live for warm days.
lovely day_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
lovely day_Easy-Resize.com.jpg (241.87 KiB) Viewed 3615 times

Post by 765489 »

I see Sweet Williams in there. I used to grow a couple of drills of these and sell them in bunches into the market and a lady that sold flowers at a Dublin graveyard. 50p a bunch. :)

You spuds look blight free.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Blight free so far! 🙂
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

When I got up this morning, the forecast was for our temperatures to hit 37°C and 38°C this weekend. This afternoon, it's been updated, and now we're looking at 39°C and 40°C. :o 12° above normal for this time of year. In fact, in a normal year, we don't hit 40°C even in the height of summer. :?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

God I would wilt in that kind of weather. I was chatting to my Minnesota friend at 11 am her time yesterday and it was 38 degrees there. Plus mosquitoes 😥 I LOVE sunshine but there's a place called stop! She said there's some kind of freak heatwave coming.

https://bringmethenews.com/.amp/minneso ... -minnesota

Anyway it's lovely and sunny here in the NW.
quodec

Post by quodec »

My son lives and works in Madrid. He sent me a screen grab of the latest tv weather forecast for today - 42 degrees in the afternoon!!!! At least he has aircon! And he says Madrid is unbearable in July and August!!!
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:34 am God I would wilt in that kind of weather.
I'll tell one thing it's good for: getting the washing dry! Put a (big) load out this morning and it was bone dry in under an hour! 8-)

Gonna get it all sweaty again now - five dances in two evenings, starting in a couple of hours. :mrgreen:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I don't mind mid 30's (I saw that a few weeks ago in Spain). Anything above 40 is a bit too hot for me. The last time I was in 40 plus was in UAE when offroading in the mountains. We came to one wadi that would have been tough but do-able to cross. The problem was that there was another wadi a few km up the track. We wanted to see what the next wadi was like as we didn't want to get stuck between the two wadis. Guess what smuck had to walk to the next wadi to check it out. A 5km walk in 40plus weather (and no wind thanks to the mountains) confirmed we had to turn around. I drank 3L of water on that walk.....

Driving away, the gearbox temperature went off the clock so we had to stop to let it cool......

My worst experience of 40plus weather.

Post by 765489 »

I'd melt away in them temperatures. Bad enough this evening. I'm wolfing cans of cold cider down from being out and about earlier.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:24 pm I'm wolfing cans of cold cider down from being out and about earlier.
You'd love it here, then! This weekend's festival is on a cider producer's farm. :mrgreen:
quodec

Post by quodec »

After a fantastic hot 'summer's day' here in the NE yesterday, today (the longest day) was just endless cloud and it seems to be the same - with some rain later - for the rest of the week. Should have enjoyed last year more!!
Frank

Post by Frank »

Yet another dogshit day in Dublin.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

We've had a succession of violent thunderstorms over the last month, and they're showing no signs of stopping. I thought I'd already posted in this thread a report about tennis-ball sized hailstones trashing the car sales lots in our local county town, but can't see it now :?

In any case, the experience has been repeated at approximately 18 to 20-day intervals, and my camper also now has five new holes in the paintwork thanks to one of the storms. That particular one brought the festival I was at to an abrupt end, when the hail and torrential rain launched an attack on our venue from above and below. You know things aren't going to end well when water starts flowing from the light fixtures ... :shock:

The silver lining: at least I'm less worried about a summer drought now! My frog pond was refilled in eight hours with as much water as it had lost (through irrigation and evaporation) in the previous month ... and I got the second (deeper) pond finished just in time to receive it's first few thousand litres (would have been a lot more, but I haven't enough pipework in the right place yet to redirect the rainwater from all the gutters).