Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Current severe weather around the world!

Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.
Deleted

Re: Current severe weather around the world!

Post by Deleted »

BOOO!!! Scary scary weather!
Quato

Post by Quato »

Horrible weather conditions in Greece...of course all "normal" happenings....

https://www.ekathimerini.com/

quodec

Post by quodec »

So, while we enjoy some lovely early September weather, in the Balkans...

quodec

Post by quodec »

Another disaster unfolding in North Africa, with catastrophic flooding in NE Libya. 1000s are feared dead.

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Libya has been having a horrendous time. 25% of the buildings in Derna were washed into the sea with their inhabitants. Because three dams failed. Over 10,000 people missing

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Not on the same level as Libya, but "severe" for those concerned all the same:

Flash-flooding in southern France yesterday, after the region received in one day roughly the same amount of rain that falls on Dublin in a year.

Worth noting that the towns and villages in this area have lived with flash floods for centuries and most of the relevant municipalities have invested in decent quality flood defences ... but they're just not enough any more.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Another day, another deluge, this time more to the east of southern France ...

Not wanting to be left out, the northern quarter offered this impressive anomaly:

quodec

Post by quodec »

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

The new normal - so banal now that it hardly makes the international news any more:

These are all my local rivers; the main one (La Creuse) rose almost 7.5m above its usual level, and that's with flood-mitigation measures in place. Those measures help us in this area, but obviously didn't do anything for the folks living downstream.

Interesting that almost every report I saw on this over the weekend featured at least one English couple hauling their sodden worldly goods out of what was probably the dream home in which they expected to spend their retirement. And an aged Frenchman/woman saying how they'd never seen the like of this before.

And yet ... and yet ... twenty years ago this was one of the hard red lines I set for our property search; we wrote off many a picturesque riverside ruin and magical mountain house because I wouldn't discount the very likely risk of flooding and/or rain-induced landslide. It's twenty years this weekend since we moved in, and I

This weekend's events came about as a result of torrential rain on Friday; now we're back to the usual weak sunshine and howling gales.
Quato

Post by Quato »

Yes- the new norm.
Nobody gives a damn.
It is all about "me me me". I want my twice a year holidays in a far away warm country. I want to eat meat every day. I want a new car every few years. I want my own home. I want to consume whatever I like- whenever-wherever. I want to create as much rubbish as I want. Free country- and nobody has the right to stop me.
This is the world we live in- insanity rules. We feck up our own world and think it is a great way to live.
Sooner or later the party will be finally over.....