Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Alternatives to Anchorseal for sealing end-grain?

Measure twice, cut once...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Alternatives to Anchorseal for sealing end-grain?

Post by CelticRambler »

Title says it all! I'd like to up my game and start sealing the end-grain of freshly cut wood that might not end up in the fire. All across the internet, Anchorseal is the outstanding recommendation, but I live in France and we have a different internet here that doesn't seem to include sellers of Anchorseal ... so are there any equally good (European) alternatives?

Re: Alternatives to Anchorseal for sealing end-grain?

Post by 490808 »

What's wrong with a coat of whatever paint you have on hand? Not as good but better than nothing?

:?:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Agree with CO here. Anything to hand, and keep an eye on it, and re coat as necessary.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

The Continental Op wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:03 am What's wrong with a coat of whatever paint you have on hand? Not as good but better than nothing?
I read (on th'internet, so it must be true) that most modern paints are "breathable" which is not a desirable characteristic for this purpose. :?

Oh, and I don't have a lot of paint on hand either, so I'm going to have to buy something in any case!

Post by 490808 »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:30 pm I read (on th'internet, so it must be true) that most modern paints are "breathable" which is not a desirable characteristic for this purpose. :?

Oh, and I don't have a lot of paint on hand either, so I'm going to have to buy something in any case!
If you read some forums on the qualities of Anchorseal one of them that it's also porus. How true that i believe is of a wax emulsion I really don't know.

Can you go down the local tip and pick up some half full tins. Noticed a few "painters" in the container for old paint on the local tip looking thought the tins. Has does that work in France?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

It doesn't! Well, it does - in a very efficient way from a commercial (and ecological) point of view. You can recycle just about everything now, but the "tip" is a highly organised set of collection containers, and a guy standing by to make damn sure you put the right stuff in the right one and don't take anything out, because the local authority has a deal with the waste disposal people based on the resale value ...
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Never had any problems with some melted paraffin wax daubed on the ends of boards and beams. Quick and easy to do too. Melts around 60 degrees. Don't stick it in a pot to melt it on the stove with your back turned though! Double boiler recommended.
Calahonda52
Verified Username

Post by Calahonda52 »

The Continental Op wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:03 am What's wrong with a coat of whatever paint you have on hand? Not as good but better than nothing?

:?:
Don't think paint gives quite the same Brazilian experience as hard wax
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

If ever I have a shed full of broads instead of boards, I think I'd be looking on a different forum for advice on keeping the humidity under control! :mrgreen: