Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Woodturning

Measure twice, cut once...
kadman
Verified Username

Woodturning

Post by kadman »

I came across a couple of pics of my woodturning escapades that might interest you's.

Not to mention it reminded me of when I had hair back in the day. I used to turn very large bowls when I discovered that tourists went mad for them. It was the only thing that sold well at the time. Probably because it , dare I say, outclassed the normal tat that passed for woodturning in Mams cross.

There is an interesting story attached to the lathe, but thats another post.
Attachments
DSCF5079.JPG
DSCF5079.JPG (241.64 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
Last edited by Guburnor on Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixing kadman's god awful spelling (by request)
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Woodturning

Post by kadman »

In teaching mode with the youngest chap. First lesson on woodturning. He used to turn pen and pencil holders to bring into school :D
Attachments
DSCF5078.JPG
DSCF5078.JPG (228.13 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

And after a few lessons with the eldest chap many years ago.
Attachments
DSCF5077.JPG
DSCF5077.JPG (290.09 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
KHD

Post by KHD »

kadman wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:29 pm I came across a couple of pics of my woodturning escapades that might interest you's.

Not to mention it reminded me of when I had hair back in the day. I used to turn very large bowls when I discovered that tourists went mad for them. It was the only thing that sold well at the time. Probably because it , dare I say, outclassed the normal tat that passed for woodturning in Mams cross.

There is an interesting story attached to the lathe, but thats another post.
Your the spitting image of my sparks. :mrgreen:

And someone else come to think of it
TonyIommi_2012.jpg
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

KHD wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:55 am Your the spitting image of my sparks. :mrgreen:

And someone else come to think of it

TonyIommi_2012.jpg
Yeah.....but I am only a legend in my woodworking skills ;) My fingers resemble mallets to much to be doing some speedy fretting :lol:
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Got a lathe today. Need one for making replacement handles for a load of chisels, files and of course some knobs to accompany the ridiculous batch of handplane totes that are now nearing completion.

I'm fortunate to have been able to get a very nice Axminster lathe with suitably compact dimensions, but high specifications. I have a VFD equipped machine with 2MT head/tailstocks, a suitable arbor and jacobs chuck, 11mm Bormax forstner etc. Enough between centres to make whatever else I'll ever want, and I got an extension bed for the hell of it. Because I'm a man and I can change my mind whenever the hell I want.

It's overkill, but that's nothing new. Buy once, don't apologise, never cry. That's my motto when it comes to tool purchases. :lol:

Kadman, help. Point me towards a suitable set of turning tools?

I don't have a grinder, but I have a Tormek with the original wetstone and a japanese stone also, so sharpening shouldn't be a problem. Or will it? What should I be looking at? Gouges? Parting tool? Dreaded skew chisel? Henry Taylor Diamic look very nice. Hamlet Tools, meh. Sorby, always an option I would imagine. Are carbide insert tools more convenient? All advice welcome. Budget is whatever I need to spend to get the right gear, first time. I'm not into the false economy of upgrading later, which is never later enough in my experience.

Thanks in advance!
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Your number 1 purchase for woodturning is definitely going to be a grinder. You wont do any turning without 1.
I cant comment on your tormek system as I have never had the opportunity to use 1. It probably has the appropriate jig 's available for correct grinding angles, until you feel confident enough with out needing the jigs.
Plenty of youtubes about best method of grinding turning chisels for whatever is your chosen projects. Plenty to see there.

The point is whether you want to specialize first with spindle turning between centres for tool handles,legs, ect. Or faceplate turning as in platters and bowls, as both require some different tools that are specific to face plate. or centre turning. But I must confess being a lazy bugger I have often used large bowl gouges for lite spindle turning, and vice versa.

The woodcraft forum on Boards had a large contingent of woodturners there, and a post in the woodcraft forum will definitely yield results.
Alun is a very knowledgeable turner who knows his stuff.

Be safe when turning, as a woodworker yourself you already know this. ;)
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Turning from the grinder or after honing is a somewhat grey area, there are different views on the proper method.
I believe that the proper method is "What works best for you".
I dont see any major difference. A well ground chisel, ground so as no burning takes place, finished with a fine wheel, will be very sharp. I have turned most timbers without the need for honing. Some timbers may benefit from a honed edge with a better finish, but I have never had a problem.

The skew, brilliant tool when sharp...................a wood destroyer, and possible fingers when blunt. It can only be used properly when its sharp, as you cant control a blunt skew chisel. You will find a wide skew easier to use than a blunt one, but its difficult to use at the start. When you get into the zone on a cylinder it will leave a perfect polished face with no need for sanding. Plenty of youtube vids to study to understand how to use this tool.

And tool supplier I go for is the well known branded woodworking tools. Cheap tool steel will overheat and burn on grinding, or be too soft to keep an edge. But you already stay away from cheap tat anyway.

SAFELY.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Thanks Kadman.

Picked up the 8 piece Henry Taylor ‘Diamic’ set of turning tools.

I’ll give sharpening options with the Tormek a bit of research this weekend.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Hey you are good to yourself with that purchase.

When you get turning for a while, I'll tell you the story of the bowl on the big lathe.
I wont tell you yet because I dont want to scare you. :lol: :lol: