Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Organising drill bits - what's the secret?

Measure twice, cut once...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Organising drill bits - what's the secret?

Post by CelticRambler »

There must be a better way than my current system of trying to bag up together all related types of bit (e.g. all masonry bits in one bag, all metal bits in another, etc) and piling them all into a box, or a bigger box, as the collection grows. The system broke last month when I ordered some extra-fat metal bits, and some extra-long wood bits. Amongst all the many and varied multi-compartment storage solutions sold in LidAldi and DIY stores, I don't think I've ever seen a drill-bit-organiser - what do the rest of ye do?

Re: Organising drill bits - what's the secret?

Post by 490808 »

I've a really simple system. All the lesser used woodworking drills are stored away in tool rolls. That would include several tool rolls just for old auger bits. Lesser used metal (jobber) bits are in a large heavy tin. SDS drill bits are stored in with an SDS drill - I've several SDS drills but all SDS bits are stored with with just one of them I use the most. If I didn't have a large storage space in the box with my main SDS drill I'd probably put the SDS bits in tool rolls. There is also a big tin of larger and rarely used jobber bits.

Now the simple part is that I have just one cheap box of Aldi jobber bits (1-10mm iirc) that are used for 90% of jobs which I keep handy in a tool box. I keep this set topped up from several other cheap sets (including one like this from LIdl/Aldi one of which has 5-10 bits of all the sizes from 1 to 10mm.

If I have a really special job maybe like drilling out a broken bolt I'll buy a couple of new quality drills of a suitable size for the job.

Needless to say there are other box sets of drills including Forstner bits which are in one tool box I keep for consumables like hacksaw blades, sawzall, blades, jigsaw blades etc.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

The Continental Op wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:55 pm Forstner bits which are in one tool box I keep for consumables like hacksaw blades, sawzall, blades, jigsaw blades etc.
:shock: You treat your Forstner bits as consumables ? :lol:

Tool rolls? Hmm. Never thought about rolling them ... even though I use that system for other things.

Post by 490808 »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:29 am :shock: You treat your Forstner bits as consumables ? :lol:
Yes and no. I have cheap Lidl/Aldi chinese ones that are definitely treated as consumables although they do last surprisingly well and I have some I've bought individually for specific jobs which I don't, but they go in the consumables tool box. A better description might be replaceable/changeable cutter tool box as it also has router bits in it.

The tool rolls came about after buying too many auger bits at car boot sales. I've actually thought about getting rid of them and just getting a decent set of augers that will work with an electric drill.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

I'm a fan of Plano tackle boxes for organising drills, smaller augers/forstners, step and cone drills etc.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

What's the longest attachment you'd get into one of those? I wouldn't try fitting the 500mm masonry bit in - that one's easy enough to spot no matter where in the room I've left it! :lol: - but I have some 200mm wood bits that disappear into the mess and could do with a permanent residence.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

I think the 3700 series would take those easily. Have a look around and you should find all the dimensions for the various boxes.

For anyone looking to keep SDS bits together, hard to beat a bit of Wavin pipe with an end cap and a Quickstream screw cap on the other end. Make them up to whatever size you need. Works just as well for cold chisels and the likes.
the pen turner
Verified Username

Post by the pen turner »

not sure what the secret is. but the way i do it is by having all my tools in tools boxs, either festool systainers, dewalt toughboxs or t stacks, milwaukee packouts or metal mechanics cantelever tool boxs
i try to keep most if not all accesories for that tool in the box . or at least a usable quantity of them. no point having 10 8mm sds bits in the box when 2 will do
i have some sets of bits that i like in some boxs because tey are small and easily contained but some boxs have loads of bits in them like the sds. the tool roll idea is great . im stealing that.

i keep bits like spade bits in a roll in the van along with a few bit sets and a small box for a few ramdom handy stuff that ends up with bits that were bought for a job thrown in.

then i have a large tool chest in the workshop for less often used bits , ones for workshop use or extras. its handy to keep them easily accesable.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Looked in here for a minute and with all them old memorable names I thought I was logging in to boards for a minute,
had to double check the address bar there.I'm off to the scratcher, last on out, turn off the lite. And pen turner you stay away from
those exotic timbers in the scrap bin, they have all been counted ;) :D
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

The scrap bin is empty.

I’ve a fine oul’ fire roaring away here though.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

JayZeus wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:53 pmhard to beat a bit of Wavin pipe with an end cap and a Quickstream screw cap on the other end. Make them up to whatever size you need. Works just as well for cold chisels and the likes.
There's a lad comes to our festival who makes bagpipe containers using the same system! Sells loads of them too. :D
Calahonda52
Verified Username

Post by Calahonda52 »

Am in bits reading this!
Anyone sharpen steel bits successfully?.
My box of "to be sharpened bits" is bigger than the useful one.
I bought a box of 100 steel bits after the crash 1.5 by 0.5 to 10 mm ( more of the smaller ones, only 5 10 mm ones) and I just use that.
My big SDS bits( 2.5" to 6" ) bits are in the original sleeves, in the attic, as they don't get much use these days but great to have them on a Sunday afternoon if needed
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Sounds like a thread is needed for drill sharpening then ;)

Post by 490808 »

Are most modern drill bits worth sharpening?

Yes I've old augers that are well worth the effort but any bit smaller than say 4mm I wouldn't even think of sharpening they are so cheap to buy and I'd take some convincing that anything between 5 and 10 mm was worth the effort.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

For good quality twist drills, it’s well worth learning how to sharpen them. It’s also not difficult and once you know how it’s dead handy to be able to set a drill up to work with whatever material you’re sticking holes into.