Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Paint pine bedroom furniture

Measure twice, cut once...
Osciiboscii

Paint pine bedroom furniture

Post by Osciiboscii »

So I want to paint a dated pine wardrobe, locker, mirror frame, bed frame. Picked up a can of washable matt today in Woodies, cos it says suitable for prepared wood also. I also picked up a can of pure grip primer. Is that enough prep? Can i skip the sanding? This project could take a while... :(
Osciiboscii

Re: Paint pine bedroom furniture

Post by Osciiboscii »

Oops, i see there is a diy place where this should be..
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

What condition is the pine pieces to be painted. Are they in a raw state, or do they have a finish on them already which may need to be removed.
Being suitable for prepared wood means wood that has been cleaned sanded smooth and primed.

If your intended finish is a light color you may have been better with a light color primer.
It means you would need less coats of paint, but your grey can still be used all the same.

When you think you are good to go, practice on the back of the smallest piece you have. Then if you have any issues, it will be easier to deal with.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Thanks...it has that varnishy type finish you see on most modern pine furniture. I was hoping I could skip the sanding. The primer stuff is white, it's supposed to lock in knots and things. I think. Going to change the knobs too; found a lovely site www.anvil.ie. Very poor selection in Woodies.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

If it has the varnishy type of finish, then you may get away without priming it.
But you will have to snad the varnish lightly so that the new finish gets some adhesion to the varnish.

Like i said try it in a small area not seen, first.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Thanks - i must remember to do before 'n after pics!
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Here you go