Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Making a bookshelf door

Measure twice, cut once...
Notso

Making a bookshelf door

Post by Notso »

So the young lad is asking me if he can have a bookshelf door for his bedroom,a quick Google shows it's more popular than I thought,has anyone here ever done this?
Or any chippies here that would consider doing it? Thanks
Memento Mori

Re: Making a bookshelf door

Post by Memento Mori »

That sounds cool. Any pictures of the type of thing he is looking for? Would it not be too heavy when loaded with books?
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

sounds like your son has class taste :)

Weight is not going to be a problem, you can get all sorts of stainless steel ball bearing hinges that will accommodate heavy loads.

Your starting point is a firmly fixed door frame, and the rest is just planning and logistics, and maybe some large amounts of benjamins if you have to pay someone, if you are not gonna have a go your self.
You have two elements of this that require slightly different skills.

The straightforward bit is the door hanging, the next step is the shelf/cabinet arrangement, and then the hanging.
Its not rocket science, it just needs finesse to give a seamless outcome.
Run of the mill chippy is more at home with standard house construction methods. New methods half train them and throw them out of a training school
with a cert after 6 months and call them trained carpenter joiners. BS in my opinion, but thats another thread.

If it was me, I would opt for a cabinet maker/shopfitter with previous work to view.
Notso

Post by Notso »

Memento Mori wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:52 pm That sounds cool. Any pictures of the type of thing he is looking for? Would it not be too heavy when loaded with books?
Oh man, just Google it and you'll be shocked at how popular it seems to be, putting in a frame seems to be the only way to handle the weight
Notso

Post by Notso »

kadman wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:15 pm sounds like your son has class taste :)

Weight is not going to be a problem, you can get all sorts of stainless steel ball bearing hinges that will accommodate heavy loads.

Your starting point is a firmly fixed door frame, and the rest is just planning and logistics, and maybe some large amounts of benjamins if you have to pay someone, if you are not gonna have a go your self.
You have two elements of this that require slightly different skills.

The straightforward bit is the door hanging, the next step is the shelf/cabinet arrangement, and then the hanging.
Its not rocket science, it just needs finesse to give a seamless outcome.
Run of the mill chippy is more at home with standard house construction methods. New methods half train them and throw them out of a training school
with a cert after 6 months and call them trained carpenter joiners. BS in my opinion, but thats another thread.

If it was me, I would opt for a cabinet maker/shopfitter with previous work to view.
Sound advice, cheers dude, My aul lad is handy enough at this stuff, the missus mentioned it to him earlier and now he's going to look into it,if it ever happens I'll resurrect this thread!
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Be positive, its gonna happen. Start sending them positive waves out there.

Any more info you need, just come on back, the door is always open. ;)