Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

ESPECIALLY to annoy kadman ... :D

Measure twice, cut once...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

ESPECIALLY to annoy kadman ... :D

Post by CelticRambler »

From the only woodworking YouTuber I follow: this week he brings into the woodshop - an angle grinder, an anvil, brass and steel. :lol:

In case the auto translation goes berserk, the wood he's using is box (salvaged from a friend whose box hedges were being ravaged by a parasite) and ebony (given to him by a friend who had it growing in his garden in the Cameroon!)

Serious question (for those who make it to 11 minutes: why does he heat the stem of the metal insert to red-hot before shoving it into the hole he's just drilled in the handle? Would that not tend to leave it a bit loose when the metal cooled down? :?:
kadman
Verified Username

Re: ESPECIALLY to annoy kadman ... :D

Post by kadman »

Well whether you get the answer in english or french, and considering you work with metal in woodworking :D
You should know the answer.
Hot metal shape, burns the wood exactly to match the profile of the metal, and it heats the wood, which dries it,
and then shrinks, and tightens.

here endeth the lesson. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

On the contrary, I am impressed by this tradesman. And if you post more of these, Gubu.ie would be better served than you cavorting with dancing maidens :D

Nice workshop and machinery. His turning chuck saves a lot of headaches too. Woodturning is magic to watch how a rough piece turns into artwork.
That tool would not suit me when I am sewing on my walking foot machine, as I have mallet fingers , not fancy dainty digits that need to be protected. :mrgreen:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:34 pmHot metal shape, burns the wood exactly to match the profile of the metal, and it heats the wood, which dries it,
and then shrinks, and tightens.
Well, see, I knew that was the logic behind putting metal strips on cartwheels or around oak barrels, but those'd be on the outside of the woodwork and end up compressing all the joints inside to make them sturdy/watertight.

But he's effectively using the same technique I use to get an ancient screw or nail out of a piece of even more ancient oak, and I can reap the benefits of that expansion/contraction cycle well after the offensive metal has cooled down enough to be safe to handle ... :?:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

He appears to be a good tradesman, and ordinarily I would be tempted to watch more of his work,
But the fact that its in a different language would put me off, rather like watching a chinese movie with subtitles.
Unfortunately, even though I was taught french and german in school, my schooling was interrupted on a few occasions by family moving to and fro between uk and Ireland.

But in my defence i am fluent in cockney...............mate, if that counts :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by kadman on Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Not sure if I posted it on this site or another, but his videos are very reassuring to watch because he regularly includes/admits to mistakes that he's made (or sheer stupidity :mrgreen: ) the likes of which frequently plague my work. :D

He has a big CNC machine too that he uses for a lot of flatwork with a worksurface of about 2.25m² :shock: - makes for a nice combination of traditional handcraft and sensible modernism.