Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Mobile sawmill - rent-a-man or buy-and-diy?

Measure twice, cut once...
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Mobile sawmill - rent-a-man or buy-and-diy?

Post by kadman »

Dont forget to do the trunk with a metal detector before you give it to your saw man at the factory. he wont thank you for hitting nails.

Any amount of critical thinking on this says get it ripped by a sawmill. No matter what way you crunch the numbers.

Because you are only producing fence posts after all :D Or an arrowsmith kiln for another thread :mrgreen:
Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank »

Let us know what you decide and how you get on CR.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

This fellas available for the digger work lifting the trunks,
And he works for peanuts, :lol:
Attachments
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsiZml0IjoiaW5zaWRlIiwid2lkdGgiOjYwMCwiaGVpZ2h0Ijo2MDB9fSwia2V5IjoicGhvdG9fMTkxMjY3MTY3In0=.jpg
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsiZml0IjoiaW5zaWRlIiwid2lkdGgiOjYwMCwiaGVpZ2h0Ijo2MDB9fSwia2V5IjoicGhvdG9fMTkxMjY3MTY3In0=.jpg (43.13 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Uncle Frank wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:37 am Let us know what you decide and how you get on CR.
Oh, I will! Just noticed that a small stash of crypto that I'd forgotten to dispose of is currently worth more than the machine, so the money is already "spent" ... in a manner of speaking. But fear not, kadman, it's still resting in my account! :mrgreen:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Uncle Frank wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:37 am Let us know what you decide and how you get on CR.
Well, once I got myself back on the road, I was able to call in to the saw mill manufacturer, taking a representative lump of knotty old oak with me, and got to see one of their five remaining machines in the flesh. I was not, however, able to put it to the test - the guy seemed to think it was an unreasonable request, seeing as there was a demo-log there on the rails and he could give me a list of satisfied users.

Hmm.

The demo log was oak - cut to a beam of about 30x30cm, and the finish on it was pretty good by my standards, but of course they might have just bought it from a local sawmill for the purposes of display! :lol:

In response to most of my questions about the technical aspects of the cut, the guy suggested that my preferred local bladesman would be the best person to advise. He pointed out that they machine is built to used a standard-sized blade specifically so that they'll be easy and cheap to find/replace, but for my purposes maybe the bladesman would suggest a finer toothed blade (and yes, before you ask, I have a preferred local bladesman, the father of one of the girls in my daughter's class in school)

In any case, the guy said there was no way they'd load the machine into my campervan (even though I have the payload available) so there was no question of taking one home with me. Come back with a trailer, he said (the trailer has less payload than the camper ... :roll: ) or have it delivered.

The money, therefore, is still resting in my account.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

You went there to buy his machine, and he would not do a test cut in your timber, tells me one of two things.
Either his machine is not fit for purpose, or he is not fit for purpose.
Its like going to buy a new car, the least you can expect is a test drive, you wouldn't buy one without it.

For me, thats a deal breaker. If he cant demo run his machine with your material, a fair enough request. What will he do for you if you have a problem and he has your money.....nothing.

Run Forest, run

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I went to collect some nice spalted beech for some bowls today.
I met a very interesting chap who took great delight in showing me some of his home made sawmilling machinery.

His pride of place was a homemade bandsaw mill that had very large capacity, powered by an electric start engine, and ran very sweet.
I was shocked at some of the refinements he had added to it. The mill moved up and down effortlessly at the press of a button, which drove a power steering motor. I spent a long time admiring this marvel which he had made.And it made his day when I said that I had bought loads of log sawn material, none of which could hold a candle to his quality of finish. It was 1000% cleanly cut, no ripples and straight.

He had a few homemade machines that worked great, I was really impressed, and we had lots on common on the timber front. It was a great few hours spent there, and a great source of new stock
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

And ... ... ... :?:

I mean, you did tell him that you know of a guy who'd appreciate the spec sheet and assembly plans, didn't you? 8-)
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

CelticRambler wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:32 pm And ... ... ... :?:

I mean, you did tell him that you know of a guy who'd appreciate the spec sheet and assembly plans, didn't you? 8-)
You never entered the conversation at all bud. He has no interest in skipping through the long grass with a load of french mademoiselles, that was quite plain from the cut of his jib.

He said to me it was no parlor queen , but it gets the job done. I thought it was class. The bandsaw wheels, were actually wheels, I mean wheels with tyres on, and the 40mm blade tracked as true as a brand new machine. he had a roof over the machine that moved with the bandmill. He was so proud of each and every nut, bolt and washer on it, and so he should be .

Plans you say, good god man there was no such a thing. Did da vinci have plans when he emulsioned the ceiling of the sistine chapel. No , he did it on the fly. And this man did the same thing, he did it on the fly, it grew from his imagination like a piece of art.

It was simple mathematics with a bit of physics thrown in, and he applied the recipe perfectly. He does not watch the tele as he has no need nor use for it. Just simple lifes pleasure, a very active mind. :)
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:15 pmDid da vinci have plans when he emulsioned the ceiling of the sistine chapel. No , he did it on the fly.
:geek: Uhhhh ... assuming you mean Michelangelo (coz Lenny wasn't involved there, but did detailed sketches of everything) he probably did have plans: Adriano Marinazzo has discovered what he believes to be Michelangelo’s first sketch of the Sistine Chapel. :D
Marinazzo believes the sketch, presumably dating from no earlier than the spring of 1508, may have served as a reminder and jotting for the artist when he was studying the surfaces to be painted and how to arrange the scaffolding.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:20 pm :geek: Uhhhh ... assuming you mean Michelangelo (coz Lenny wasn't involved there, but did detailed sketches of everything) he probably did have plans: Adriano Marinazzo has discovered what he believes to be Michelangelo’s first sketch of the Sistine Chapel. :D
In the time you spent correcting me you could have downloaded a set of plans for a selfbuild bandmill.
You have to start getting your priorities right. :lol:
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Had to step up to a bigger saw for my last milling project, a 5 meter oak log, so borrowed a friends Stihl 661 C-M and fitted it with a 36" bar and GB sprocket nose bar and 114 link Stihl RMX chain. Granberg Mk 3 mill does a fine job.

5cm thick slabs, 2 meters in length, totalled 17 slabs at up to 72cm at the centre of the widest log. The remaining 1 meter clear/knot-free section is being split with a froe to make spoke-shaved stick chair parts.
Oak Milling.jpg