Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Mr Kadman - are you up for a bit of skyscraping?

Measure twice, cut once...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Mr Kadman - are you up for a bit of skyscraping?

Post by CelticRambler »

A bit of wood, a bit of glue, and Björn's your uncle! :mrgreen:

Skellefteå now has one of the world’s tallest wooden buildings.
nosing 20 storeys above the low-rise skyline, Skellefteå has a fitting monument to its carbon-cutting credentials. The Sara Cultural Centre and its towering Wood Hotel stand as beacons of what it is possible to do with timber – and store about 9,000 tonnes of carbon from the atmosphere in the process.

The technology behind it is surprisingly simple. The two main materials are glued laminated timber (glulam) and cross-laminated timber (CLT). The former is made from layers of lumber bonded together, with the grain running in the same direction, giving it a higher load-bearing capacity than both steel and concrete, relative to its weight. It is ideal for columns and beams, and forms the structural bones of the cultural centre, which is home to two theatres, a museum, an art gallery and a library.
The “self-finish” nature of structural mass timber, which can simply be left exposed, means that the tower was incredibly quick to build, doing away with the usual wet trades of plastering and decorating. A whole year was saved by using wood, compared with steel and concrete, with a storey completed every two days. The number of truck deliveries was also reduced by about 90%, with practically zero waste on site. Like bits of a giant balsa-wood model, the pieces came from factories ready to be bolted together, some in panels 27 metres long, while the trees were harvested from within a 60km radius of the site – and have all since been replenished. Just like the region’s forest-foraged restaurant menus, this is meaningful local sourcing rather than a green veneer.

The climate isn’t the only beneficiary. Building in wood seems to have a positive effect on construction workers. While a normal building site is a noisy, toxic place of fumes and dust, a timber one is a picture of serenity. “The people building this would never go back to steel and concrete,” says Jesper Åkerlund from contractor Holmen, which is analysing improvements to its workforce’s mental health following the project.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Mr Kadman - are you up for a bit of skyscraping?

Post by Del.Monte »

Don't woodworm love plywood? :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I dont know how I missed this so far. But its a great building and achievement for timber based buildings.
But you will be waiting for decades if you think you will see something similar in Ireland any time soon.

Glulam beams are used here, but in very small quantities, and have to be imported from Sweden. Mainly as roof and floor support beams in larger government buildings and churches. There is still a strong reluctance to used wood for house building except for basic structural requirements using low grade wood, not for aesthetics.
When i worked in Timber frame design I had the opportunity to work with a German software manufacture that had an amazing programme for timberframe buildings from domestic through to commercial. It was the best available at the time, and probably still is.
Despite my best efforts I could not get any company to even trial this programme, but I was using it myself and it was the best on all counts.

Timberframe in Ireland is, and always has been a dirty word for house building. Its not that long ago that timberframe was not allowed to go beyond i ground floor story, and when a noted manufacturer went to 3 story's it was though we had landed on the moon.

Sweden is probably decades ahead of most other countries for timberframe, as they keep all their top quality timber and only selling 4th grade timber outside of sweden. Their 4th grade is our number 1 C24 timber.

And of course when Burlington Bertie tried to sell of traunches of coillte to Helvetia of Sweden that put paid to any investment on our timber producing abilities. The fact that Coillte was setup to protect the timber growing for the people of Ireland, did nothing for Berties thought processes as he thought it was his to do with as he wished.Irish people....pishaw.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Funny thing about this thread is I am actually contemplating building a large a frame shed using all wood ( exept the roof will be galvanised sheeting ). I love large wooden sheds / american barns I see in other countries and happened upon this article in a farming forum in the UK.

Thoughts ?

I hear the price of wood from Sweden is about to drop as the market they had in Russia is not available anymore due to the sanctions thing.

This is a lean to but you get the idea.

https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php ... ir.378521/
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

KHD wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:00 pm Funny thing about this thread is I am actually contemplating building a large a frame shed using all wood ( exept the roof will be galvanised sheeting ). I love large wooden sheds / american barns I see in other countries and happened upon this article in a farming forum in the UK.

Thoughts ?

I hear the price of wood from Sweden is about to drop as the market they had in Russia is not available anymore due to the sanctions thing.

I would be surprised if timber comes down to a price to make it financially viable.
First thing that struck me was the points brought up in post 11. The guys architect appears to know his stuff.
Another thing is that the building appears to have no bracing to prevent frame racking. I am not sure that the vertical narrow boards would do the job.
Snow loads on a roof can allow a lot of weight to sit, and wind loads on an end face , these things need to be given a once over by an engineer.

I dont know whether a farmer needs building permission for animal out houses or not, but it needs to be built within regs.............not that anyone in your lifetime will be out to look at it :lol:
KHD

Post by KHD »

Well that knocks that idea on the head. Will go with my original heavy metal plan :mrgreen:

I do have a small potting shed for the polytunnel, all wood, built from scratch by my builder friend. You could almost live in it it's so cozy. Apart from the spiders.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I wouldn't rule it out.
But my biggest concern would be prices in Sweden may come down, but dont thing the irish importer will pass the savings onto you.

Go for it, but I reckon you will probably get a modular thing cheaper if its not a very large shed.

Now that the government are going to put the call out to europe for 60 thousand construction workers for 2023 there will be no shortage of workers.

They probaby intend to locate them in Wexkraine in the field next to Del :lol:
KHD

Post by KHD »

kadman wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:48 pm I wouldn't rule it out.
But my biggest concern would be prices in Sweden may come down, but dont thing the irish importer will pass the savings onto you.

Go for it, but I reckon you will probably get a modular thing cheaper if its not a very large shed.

Now that the government are going to put the call out to europe for 60 thousand construction workers for 2023 there will be no shortage of workers.

They probaby intend to locate them in Wexkraine in the field next to Del :lol:
If he is going to manage these lads in Wexkraine he'll have to get an old Reliant Robin and change his online handle to Del boy :mrgreen:
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

KHD wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:00 pm

No harm. I was building a logstore a couple of months ago and I went looking for marine ply, I'm still recovering from the shock. Ended up gathering old pallets. Not as handy but or as pretty but at least I didn't need to remortgage the house.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I hear what you are saying on sheet material prices, they have gone through the roof.
I recently inquired about a flat pack kitchen for speed on a kitchen of my own. I was nearly fleeced by the quote, that I did not order.
Purely because there were so many inaccuracies in the software programme that would have costed me over 2000 euro extra for parts I was not getting, parts I never ordered, and over charging on other items.
Luckily I had tested this programme many years ago for the same company, and knew how crap it was. So I did my own quantitys, and compared them to my quote. I flagged this up to the well known supplier and was told, its a software glitch that would have been sorted when you ordered. Bullshit.

Anyway I have decided to make my own kitchen now, because the lead in time to order is 8 weeks :shock: :shock:

And since checking the sheet material price I need I see it has more than doubled in the last 12 months. But I can beat the 8 week lead in time comfortably and will save myself about 4,000
Win , win. :D
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

I don't buy them often but last week I stopped to get two sheets of 12mm mdf, just to put down as temporary floor protection for driving a scissor lift on.
Two years ago I'd paid €16 a sheet for same, I was gobsmacked this time when they charged me €79 for two sheets.
Material prices are flipping outrageous!
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Apelles wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:16 pm I don't buy them often but last week I stopped to get two sheets of 12mm mdf, just to put down as temporary floor protection for driving a scissor lift on.
Two years ago I'd paid €16 a sheet for same, I was gobsmacked this time when they charged me €79 for two sheets.
Material prices are flipping outrageous!
Another golden opportunity to be fed the old "War in Ukraine" price hike bullshit. Any retailer here wont miss an opportunity to blame some one else, but charge you :lol:

You might have found cheaper options on donedeal for floor covering sheets