Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Gold

schmittel
Verified Username

Gold

Post by schmittel »

Anybody here like gold as an investment?

It was good to me last year, less so this year! Bought in 1880 - 1900 region, and nursing a few losses. Feels like it is a bit of a critical moment now, it's recovered well from getting hammered last week but if it is going to move higher needs to do so sooner rather than later IMO.

I was bullish because I think inflation will be a problem. Still think inflation will be a problem, but my confidence in gold has taken a knock!
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Gold

Post by kadman »

I didn't realise you were that old 1800 :lol:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Considering 90+% of gold that was ever mined is still in existence, and 90+% of silver is in landfil, I think silver might do well in the coming years.
Big push on green energy now would ramp up the demand for silver for industrial use.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

kadman wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:17 pm Considering 90+% of gold that was ever mined is still in existence, and 90+% of silver is in landfil, I think silver might do well in the coming years.
Big push on green energy now would ramp up the demand for silver for industrial use.
Yep, I like silver/precious metals/commodities in general and have some exposure. Just not as much as gold!
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Serious manipulation going on in precious metals , in particular gold and silver markets makes you wonder if there will ever be a major break out in the markets for precious metals.
But the gold certificates and holding paper gold is way more risky than someone giving you the odds on favourite in Kempton park :D
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

I’m with you on risky paper gold. Still undecided on the manipulation!
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I think the LBMA setting the rate is manipulation on a grand scale. And when you throw paper gold into the mix , its hard to predict how gold will go. But if we look at the present situation with global warming, and the commitments to halt it or slow it down, I think thats going to be the single biggest impulse on the silver price. I dont think there is any single piece of technology that does not require silver.

And when you look at data, being the most lucrative form of currency trading worldwide at the moment, its going to take mega tons of silver to preserve that currency into data storage centres on a global wide scale. Not to mention every other gizmo with a battery that we have become accustomed to, and demand in our life .

I would see any one holding silver is going to see the benefits of it in the future. AS for silver and gold paper , anyone who has that is holding the most expensive toilet paper on the planet.
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

I have (indirectly) some gold and gold miners in my portfolio, about 1% I would say. The "point" of gold is that it should trade at the same "real" amount over time and act as a store of value. However, it has not for a long time now, it trades at a considerable premium. So either gold is not a store of value and is just speculation or long term, consistent speculation has driven the price above the "store of value price".

I would not rely on it for inflation protection, it should be part of an arsenal.
Handlemaster

Post by Handlemaster »

The move of Palantir to buy gold was interesting
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Go Gold!!!

If it can close the week out in high 1830s I’ll be very happy!
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

I got out of my spot gold positions at a profit in March thanks to Putin, but I still have a fairly large exposure via holding gold miners which have tanked spectacularly.

Gold bounced off 1650, and looks like it might, (touch wood), have momentum. Let's hope so!