Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

tesla make a billion. not all good news

kadman
Verified Username

Re: tesla make a billion. not all good news

Post by kadman »

dawg wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:02 pm Another day, another Falcon 9 launch

This one to deploy 53 more Starlink satellites

Starlink can be considered as a version of NBP, but for the world and focused on rural connections ( the type that are usually expensive to achieve )
NBP ( broadband for RoI ) is projected to cost approximately €3bn.

Starlink ( rural broadband for the world ) is expected to require $5bn - $10bn before it is cash flow positive and will probably have a total investment of $20bn - $30bn when fully built.

When put in context, does NBP seems a bit spendy ?
Sounds like it makes sense to get Elon to do the NBP for us, and maybe finish the childrens hospital too. ;)
dawg

Post by dawg »

Hey Wibbs, lighten up :D

Understand that its not just OK to fail, its part of the development process

Think of things that we take for granted today and how they would have been thought of 50 years prior to their realization

- flexible endoscopy ( 1970s ? ) - imagine telling a doctor practicing in the 1920s about that
- internet ( 1970s - 1980s ) - explain that to people of the 20's & 30's
- smartphones ( late 1990s ? ) - tell someone in the 1940-50s that they would be walking around with a phone/computer/camera combo in their pocket with access to something called 'internet'

Wasnt the Apollo program 50 years ago ?

Post by 765489 »

kadman wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:09 pm Sounds like it makes sense to get Elon to do the NBP for us, and maybe finish the childrens hospital too. ;)
Add the Metro into that too :D
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:46 pm Add the Metro into that too :D
And the Western Rail Corridor. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I think we best get a list going then.
I remember checking for a broadband signal years ago in my area, and back then it was forecast 2026, and that was at least 5 + years ago.
Got a recent flyer in the door, and it says we are on target for 2026 :lol: :lol:

Maybe he could get electric trains back on the old rails :D
Wibbs
Verified Username

Post by Wibbs »

dawg wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:14 pm Hey Wibbs, lighten up :D
No!! :D :D

Understand that its not just OK to fail, its part of the development process

Think of things that we take for granted today and how they would have been thought of 50 years prior to their realization
Ok...
- flexible endoscopy ( 1970s ? ) - imagine telling a doctor practicing in the 1920s about that
Actually medical types used glass rods to look inside people in the early part of the 20th century. Internal refraction was known from the 19th.
It would be fairy easy to do so. They were already used to moving pictures, the telephone, indexing and libraries and in larger countries in the world like America they were very used to buying stuff from catalogues via the post. Basically tell them imagine doing all that across your phoneline.
- smartphones ( late 1990s ? ) - tell someone in the 1940-50s that they would be walking around with a phone/computer/camera combo in their pocket with access to something called 'internet'
Similar to the above. For me the biggest shock of the smartphone wasn't the phone itself, nor the interwebs connectivity, but the camera and the explosion in its use of all things.

The thing is those ideas would sound strange, but not so strange. I mean in the early part of the 20th century people were convinced we'd be flying around high rise cities in wee autogyros with huge solar collectors in deserts heating oil to drive generators to power the cities. Secondly all of those ideas have existing ideas and tech within them. The indexing system on the interwebs comes from the invention of moveable type printing and the explosion of books that followed in short order. Previous to that hand written manuscripts didn't have contents pages or indexing, rarely enough even cohesive titles or one subject matter. Printed books required that, as did the libraries that sprang up to store them. Thirdly and probably most importantly such inventions followed the basic laws of physics, it was the ideas and engineering that had to catch up. For example if you grabbed Isaac Newton in a time machine and brought him to mission control to watch the first moon landing he would understand the physics. Hell, he invented much of it.
It was, but the physics haven't changed. You need a shít tonne of grunt to get out of Earth orbit to get to another heavenly body in a short enough time to allow for humans to travel there safely. And get back. It's heavy lifting as much as finesse in many ways. The Saturn V threw around 140 tonnes of gear into orbit, then fecked 60 tonnes at the moon, a record that still hasn't been broken and that was to get just three blokes and two craft with the internal living space the size of a couple of SUV's to the moon(with a cool ickle car).

The fact that they could do it in the 1960's, with boffins using slide rules, pen and paper, a minumum of integrated circuitry and onboard computers that ran to around 40K of ram and rom in such a short time demonstrates this. Indeed that's the big problem with the nutters who think we never went and it was all a hoax. With 1960's flim, video and special effects technology it would have been harder to fake it than to actually go. Even today with the very cool CGI stuff we have space still looks "wrong" in many ways. The First Man flic looks good with the scenes of the spacecraft in space, but the landing sequence looks way off and the scenes on the moon are clearly not real.

Another thing about tech. Newer isn't always better, or rather not always as robust. In spaceflight the KISS principle is primary. Take Apollo 11. When they climbed back in and took off their suits Aldrin hit and broke off a circuit breaker that was part of the ascent engine circuit. To stop it tripping and causing the engine to misfire, he jammed a pen into the socket completed the circuit and sorted it. Now imagine a line of code or a teeny tiny microscopic circuit failing in a touchscreen panel or chip buried in the gubbins. Not nearly so easy to bypass. When the Soviet Foxbat plane landed in Japan in the 70's with a Russian asylum seeker on board the Americans were shocked and sniggered at the fact they used vaccum valve tubes like an old radio set rather than transisters and the like. Only thing was the Russians were quite aware why they were doing it. In the event of a nuclear war and EMF bursts the valves would be far more resistant to the pulses than the newer tech transisters. If we get a big solar flare hitting us like the Carrington event of the 19th century, your iphone and PC will be fooked, but your grandparents valve radio will likely still work.

So yes we will have better materials and better tech, but the physics of spaceflight remain the same and those physics, especially deep spaceflight aren't easy at all.
Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

You mean Capricorn One wasn't a documentary? It wasn't much of a movie either, anyway I still think Wallace and Gromit got to the moon but somebody else beat them to it as how else did the gas cooker get there. :D
'no more blah blah blah'
Wibbs
Verified Username

Post by Wibbs »

Science fiction has kinda fecked with the realities in a lot of ways(enjoyable though it is). For example a staple of scifi is a spacecraft that can take off from the ground and fly straight into orbit. No staging involved. We still haven't come up with a single stage to orbit vehicle. The physics are too gnarly. So far at least. A single stage to orbit vehicle that then has enough juice to keep on going to another body is so far beyond us at the moment we'd need the services of the Hubble to see it.
Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

dawg wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:14 pm Think of things that we take for granted today and how they would have been thought of 50 years prior to their realization

Wibbs has made a passing reference to it, but what I find somewhat humbling in the face of all our "modern technology" is how, back then in the 1920s (and 30s and 40s and 50s and 60s and 70s and 80s ...), so many great improvements in technology were imagined for the 2000s. Look at just about any "futuristic" movie from those days and we've achieved almost none of the major developments imagined by their directors/writers.

As for getting to/staying on Mars - I'm all in favour of pushing the boundaries of scientific exploration, but tend to side with Bill Maher when it comes to notions of expanding our horizons to include the Red Planet:

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I enjoyed that - he has my vote as I could even understand his scientific chart. :D
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

As it happens, I put up the wrong one - that's from four years ago; he did an updated version two years ago.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

And then we have this carry-on: Russia fired a missile at one of its own satellites over the weekend, generating more than 1,500 pieces of trackable orbital debris and hundreds of pieces of smaller debris ... enough of which ended up in the ISS's orbit to force its evacuation.
The Nasa astronauts Raja Chari, Tom Marshburn, Kayla Barron, and the European Space Agency astronaut Matthias Maurer floated into their SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft for safety, according to a report by Spaceflight Now.

At the same time, the Russian cosmonauts Shkaplerov and Pyotr Dubrov and the Nasa astronaut Mark Vande Hei boarded a Soyuz spacecraft on the Russian segment, Spaceflight Now said.
Pretty conclusive proof that for all the speeches about global cooperation and conference commitments to protect the environment in the future, we're still (as a species) quite happy to dump a load of rubbish into every part of the universe we colonise and feck the consequences, for ourselves or others. :roll:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

CelticRambler wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:14 am And then we have this carry-on: Russia fired a missile at one of its own satellites over the weekend, generating more than 1,500 pieces of trackable orbital debris and hundreds of pieces of smaller debris ... enough of which ended up in the ISS's orbit to force its evacuation.

Pretty conclusive proof that for all the speeches about global cooperation and conference commitments to protect the environment in the future, we're still (as a species) quite happy to dump a load of rubbish into every part of the universe we colonise and feck the consequences, for ourselves or others. :roll:
Awww....but sure space is empty, and big, and nobody owns it........................so we can fill it full of shite like we are used to. Who cares, there is no litter warden up here......sure we're grand.
Its what we do, human species is worse than any bacteria, and we will continue to be such. When the same people are at the COP table that are responsible for producing the crap, then same old story.
Aren't they burying still the surplus material from turbine blade production, thats non degradeable.

Its like nuclear power, we create a sytem of generating power, that creates crap we cant dispose of.

Post by 490808 »

Sorry, going off topic but had to find somewhere to post the video.....

Mention earlier about trying to explain mobile phones to someone in the 40's and 50's

How about the 20's?

I thought the antenna was just genius and I assume the fire hydrant makes a good earth?
Wibbs
Verified Username

Post by Wibbs »

The Continental Op wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:39 pm Sorry, going off topic but had to find somewhere to post the video.....

Mention earlier about trying to explain mobile phones to someone in the 40's and 50's

How about the 20's?

I thought the antenna was just genius and I assume the fire hydrant makes a good earth?
They even spun up the oul ipod to get a tune across the airwaves. :D That's the ting; any time new tech comes out people pretty much always strive to make it smaller and portable. The car radio a good example. Radio sets went from huge and expensive industrial yokes to smaller military type doohickeys and then big oul things sitting in your living room originally powered by batteries. I remember an elderly rellie of mine telling me when she was a kid being sent out of a Saturday to the local shop where she'd get the accumulator for the wireless recharged. Anyway one US company started making adaptors that would allow people to run their wireless off the mains. Then they thought about "hey, what about a wireless in your car?", so they built one and sold it. The company's name? Motorola. A mashup of Motor and rola from Victrola a popular record player(the dog in His Master's Voice is listening to one). They went on to sell the first successful transistor, then the first portable telly, did a load for NASA and the first portable phone, all before 1970. So I don't think mobile phones and the like would come as that much of a shock to people in the past.
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Apple could be worth $3 trillion :shock: in the next few days.
If Apple were a country it would be the fifth biggest economy in the world.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Elon Musk has warned that his SpaceX company faces a “genuine risk of bankruptcy” unless it can pick up the pace and get its ambitious Starship rocket into a fortnightly service.

The aerospace company is developing Starship to take humans back to the moon and ultimately to Mars, but a slower than anticipated rate of progress on the production of its Raptor engines has created a “disaster”, Musk told staff in a memo leaked to the blogsite Space Explored.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

2u2me wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:52 pm The aerospace company is developing Starship to take humans back to the moon and ultimately to Mars. [/i]
It's gas the way they always make it sound as if Mars is just a little bit further than the moon.

I think if Earth, the Sun, and Mars are lined up just right, the quickest trip would be about 7 months. That's to get there. Then they have to wait again for the optimum time to return. 'Trips' to mars are still a long way off.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Scotty wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:28 pm It's gas the way they always make it sound as if Mars is just a little bit further than the moon.

I think if Earth, the Sun, and Mars are lined up just right, the quickest trip would be about 7 months. That's to get there. Then they have to wait again for the optimum time to return. 'Trips' to mars are still a long way off.
In 2016 Musk said he could get a person to Mars for $140,000. It currently costs about $55million just to get one person into orbit.
Many of his promises as of late have been on the level of Elizabeth Holmes. No wonder he sold stock there recently at a record high.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

He's made similar claims about The Boring Company, a business he owns which makes underground roads. He reckons eventually they'll be able to build them for a few $100k per km. He's done a few in Vegas and a few more are under construction.

He reckons The Boring Company will eventually build whole underground cities on Mars.