Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Galway: Laptop / Tablet appeal for refugee children who have just arrived

Location specific discussion here. We'll distribute threads into relevant subforums when there are active discussions
Séimhe

Galway: Laptop / Tablet appeal for refugee children who have just arrived

Post by Séimhe »

Hi folks,

I’m giving a small Acer tablet to the local refugees. About 75 people have arrived in my area from Ukraine, from very young to very old.

If anyone has something like that that they’d be willing to part with, it would really help. Unfortunately, this war has created a lot of single parents and they have limited ways to entertain their kids at present. It only has to be able to play childrens tv / movies / YouTube.

I don’t know exactly how many kids there are, but I won’t take anything that doesn’t have a child that needs it. And I’ll get a rough number next time I’m talking to them.

PM me if you can contribute and I can share more details and contact info.
isha
Verified Username

Re: Galway: Laptop / Tablet appeal for refugee children who have just arrived

Post by isha »

Sorry Seimhe, by the time I change laptops the older one is always well and truly banjaxxed.
But yesterday it caught my eye that I have an old graphics tablet. It's not the best model, just a Lidl one, but it served me well for a short time until I got my fancy one. And it hasn't been that much used.
I often think kids should all have graphics tablets. It's a much more creative, active way to engage with the inevitable screen. The children just have to download say Krita, which is an amazing free software and they will learn how to use it in a flash, you know how kids are.
What do you think about graphics tablets as well? No worries if not a goer
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Séimhe

Re: Galway: Laptop / Tablet appeal for refugee children who have just arrived

Post by Séimhe »

Hí Isha. I agree completely. I used to refurbish laptops with Edubuntu some years back and a graphics tablet leads to much healthier and creative choices for sure - in my opinion anyway.

I'm sure I'll get hold of a few laptops eventually, so I'll get back to you when that happens. For now I'm just aiming for a total of 15 devices to deliver all at once - so it doesn't create "haves" and "have nots".

Thanks again!