Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Co. Waterford Staycation - recommendations please?

Location specific discussion here. We'll distribute threads into relevant subforums when there are active discussions
BettyBee

Co. Waterford Staycation - recommendations please?

Post by BettyBee »

So we are gonna do The Greenway and wanna find a nice place to stay a night or two afterwards.. maybe east of Dungarvan... but would prefer no more than an hrs drive from Kilmacthomas... can anyone recommend somewhere not to big? All we need is some nice scenery, a place to sleep and be able to get something to eat/drink... don't wanna stay in Tramore or Waterford - dunno what Dunmore East is like... Anyway, any suggestions? I know Ireland is busy now but we prefer off the beaten track if possible.. think hidden gems.. TIA
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Co. Waterford Staycation - recommendations please?

Post by Del.Monte »

I haven't been on the greenway since it was a railway back in the 1980s - very scenic back then. I would say that Dungarvan would be a good base. My photo shows the annual weedkilling train at Ballyvoyle Viaduct in 198x - a year or two after closure - the greenway crosses this bridge as far as I know.

'no more blah blah blah'
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

That's a great picture.

Interest in doing similar myself OP, so will keep an eye on this! Let us know how you get on.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

BettyBee wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:17 am So we are gonna do The Greenway and wanna find a nice place to stay a night or two afterwards.. maybe east of Dungarvan... but would prefer no more than an hrs drive from Kilmacthomas... can anyone recommend somewhere not to big? All we need is some nice scenery, a place to sleep and be able to get something to eat/drink... don't wanna stay in Tramore or Waterford - dunno what Dunmore East is like... Anyway, any suggestions? I know Ireland is busy now but we prefer off the beaten track if possible.. think hidden gems.. TIA
Not really a hidden gem, but Lismore would tick those boxes for me, it's a cracking little spot.

Post by 490808 »

What type of stay? Hotel, b&b, self catering camping?
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

The Continental Op wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:30 pm What type of stay? Hotel, b&b, self catering camping?
BnB or hotel - not too €€...

lismore is nice but looking for somewhere further East.. have done The Greenway a few times - love it - hence we wanna do it again - there is something about been on the route - listening to the birds - wind in your hair - ocean on one side - mts on the other - its bliss.. but I don't know East of Dungarvan.. so would like to stay somewhere where we could explore that,.. is there a nice place near Dunmore East? like a little village with bnb and a pub or something? We could always stay in Kilmac if not - its fab
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

So we got a place to stay in Dunmore East - woo hoo - really looking forward to it now,. might not bother with the greenway as we have done it before - might just explore The Copper Coast and DE..
Any recommendations for the area? we love the outdoors - might take a gander around Stradbally

Post by 490808 »

If you like the beach with sand and sea on a good day Stradbally is nice. I'd be a bit jaded as on a really good day parking can be a nightmare (mainly weekends).

If you want a near private beach with about 1km of sand then try Clonea upper, not the busy Clonea. Either walk from Ballyvoile cove over the stoney beach to Clonea Upper or park at Clonea Castle and walk around (1/2 km either way). You can also get to the middle of it if you take a look at a map of the area. Access is difficult so on a busy day you might see half a dozen people there. Check the tide times for Dungarvan on easytide http://www.ukho.gov.uk/easytide/EasyTid ... onLength=7 and aim to arrive about an hour before low tide for the max sandy beach. If you have done the Greenway the beach I'm on about is the one you can see from the viewing point were everyone stops where you get the first good view of the coast after the bridge.

BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

great thanks for that - we will be there on a weekend - i don't necessarily need long sandy beaches - I prefer off the beaten path.. we are only staying in DE to be able to eat n drink n not drive

Post by 490808 »

You can see that beach easy enough but its certainly off the beaten track :D
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

thanks - I can't see clonea upper beach on google maps - just clonea lower.. ? and clonea castle is miles from the coast?
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

Hi Folks, had thee most amazing time in the SSE last week.. (we didn't bother with The Greenway- Headed straight for The Coper Coast/Dunmore East areas as not been to either before).. OMG how had I not been there before I don't know... but hey, we were blessed with the weather.. gee - the scenery was sooo beautiful.. so many beautiful coves, cliffs and beaches - and we explored most of them.. got some epic views... (and pics).. stayed in Dunmore East area... The Strand Inn was manic - avoided it.. not our scene.. loved The Spinnaker and Azzuro... Power's Bar too.. though stayed outside.. lots of cliff walking in that area too.. hook head next staycation..could see it in the distance - so close but yet so far..

Special places - The UNESCO copper mines centre.. (love physical Geography).. then Kilfarrasy Beach (that was like a field trip based on what we learnt at the centre).. scenery was unreal too.. loved Tra Na Mo.. Ballyduwane (wow)... Stradbally Cove.. (did a cliff walk in that area which was class - views over the whole cliff line towards Helvic Head)..

Oh we stopped at The Engine House in Bunmahon a few times during our stay.. really nice place for a pit stop/lunch/drink etc.. fab space and staff were v cool.. great vibe there..

Met lovely locals along the way (esp. 1 elderly gentleman in Stradbally lol).. Dunmore East was v busy and not many locals.. (didn't realise how much of a holiday home village it is).. still, met some nice people... it really is such a pretty place..

Super time had - heaven down there.. would love to live there sometime actually... hmm.. and some beaches wer practically empty (guess cos there are so many)..

Oh got close to The Metal Men too but was disappointed that we couldn't get nearer