Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Co Wexford - Gorey

Location specific discussion here. We'll distribute threads into relevant subforums when there are active discussions
schmittel
Verified Username

Co Wexford - Gorey

Post by schmittel »

What's with the traffic situation on Gorey Main St? Was there recently, the first time in many years. Traffic on the main st was always chronic in previous visits but that was because all southbound N11 traffic funnelled through the town.

Now they have the bypass in place I assumed the traffic problem would be solved but it was bumper to bumper in both directions in the middle of the afternoon, i.e not rush hour. Where is all the traffic going to/coming from?

It's a terrible shame as it has the makings of quite a nice little town otherwise.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Co Wexford - Gorey

Post by Del.Monte »

When the Gorey bypass opened the Main Street got a little bit quieter but the town has grown so much in recent times that a lot of the traffic is generated locally. I'm so ancient that I can remember it with tumbleweed blowing down the street and it was just a place to stop for an ice cream on the way to Wexford.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Painting by Gorey artist Michael Sheridan.

One of the few reasons to visit Gorey - in my opinion - is French's Pub on the Main Street. An oasis for lovers of 'old men's' pubs - which I have been since my teenage years. A place where time has stood still - the counter top worn down from countless elbows, dark and not festooned with bicycles and tractor seats hanging from the ceiling. Full of locals rather than tourists and you're unlikely to run into the social influencers set in here. I haven't ventured into Gorey since the pandemic and I hope the pub is still there but I fear that some day it, and its contents, will end up in a skip to be replaced by a ghastly pastiche of itself.
'no more blah blah blah'
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

I had my first ever Chinese meal in Gorey. August 1983, sit down restaurant on the main street.