Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Unique Reasons for abandoning the other social site

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
WokeHogan

Re: Unique Reasons for abandoning the other social site

Post by WokeHogan »

Berties_Horse wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:49 pm Rather one-sided moderation of Covid forum was the final straw, where posters advocating for continued restrictions could freely take potshots at others who held contrary views. Indeed, backseat moderation was granted to those in favour of authoritarian governance with a goldenshill benefitting more than most. And then you had a seamusless flip flop artist who possessed an uncanny knack for holding two contradictory views at once. In addition to being a diehard apologist of all things FG and NPHET, not to mention displaying fascist leanings promoting the ostracising of unvaccinated from society.

I took the resident moderator to task for letting these dishonest and disingenuous bluff merchants complete licence, while ruthlessly stifling those who dared criticise Tony Holohan for possessing dictatorial tendencies and his role in casting hundreds of elderly people to their deaths (flippantly placing them in nursing homes during a peak wave pre-vaccination). A site ban immediately followed for having the temerity to stand up against a somewhat biased echo chamber, especially considering all those establishment posters with well-paid vocations and secure pensions were getting the gold star treatment from day one of the pandemic.

I leave boards with the inverted peace sign to all those I clashed with on that forum, and a metaphorical handshake of respect for those who confronted the miserable pedants inhibiting the freedoms of others...and calling out relentless bombardment of propaganda from RTÉ and other vehicles of government malfeasance. As for Tony Holohan? His day of judgement will come, none of us with goldfish bowl memories have forgotten his role in the cervical check scandal. Despite his desperate attempt to wrestle control of the narrative. The arrogant fraud has blood on his hands, and when the sentence is handed down I'll crack the seal on that single malt.
Reads like you already cracked it last night, mate.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Haven’t really thought about it since I closed my account so there’s little point in rehashing any of their failings, we all know what they are anyway. One of the best things I’ve ever done.
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Predictably the scutter junkie and his sock puppet show made a cameo, two accounts that were dormant for months posting within minutes of each other. Gratifying to inhabit the mind of another for free, can anticipate one's reaction at will. That's an immense power to have, and I don't wield it lightly.
Last edited by Berties_Horse on Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

I haven't abandoned it completely as I'm fond of chatting property market stuff, of which there is little of here, so I still check in over there from time to time. Don't post as much anymore though as lost interest after getting incessant abuse for expressing the opinion that property in Ireland might be overvalued!

On a recent visit a covid vaccine thread caught my eye, and I made the mistake of dipping my toe in there to contradict a particularly unpleasant and intractable individual. The abuse I received in the property forum was like a mothers warm embrace compared to this poster's response. I couldn't help but notice that Isha also had a run in with him earlier in the thread and received a similar kicking.

The thread title/subject is "Covid vaccines safety" and whatever your views on that particular issue, the fact that over there this discussion is only permissible in the Conspiracy Theories forum tells you everything you need to know about the site.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

I never really got the Beasty bashing until a couple of recent threads where he jumped in to assert his "authority", seemingly clueless about what was going on. E.g. this thread which was locked due to apparently being fake news. Yet the Indo, several tabloids and local media (newspapers and radio) carried the story, were they all disseminating fake news.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/205821 ... -tullamore
WokeHogan

Post by WokeHogan »

Berties_Horse wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:18 pm Predictably the scutter junkie and his sock puppet show made a cameo, two accounts that were dormant for months posting within minutes of each other. Gratifying to inhabit the mind of another for free, can anticipate one's reaction at will. That's an immense power to have, and I don't wield it lightly.
No offence pal but I think that you should submit yourself to a "Higher Power" instead.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

BrianD3 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:34 pm I never really got the Beasty bashing until a couple of recent threads where he jumped in to assert his "authority", seemingly clueless about what was going on. E.g. this thread which was locked due to apparently being fake news. Yet the Indo, several tabloids and local media (newspapers and radio) carried the story, were they all disseminating fake news.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/205821 ... -tullamore
He’s a Captain Mainwaring type but without the charm.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

WokeHogan wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:40 pm No offence pal but I think that you should submit yourself to a "Higher Power" instead.
And if you’re ever missing the other place you can read the guff it’s famous for here. Like that. No refuting points - just snide put downs.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

AmEireCan

Post by AmEireCan »

isha wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:36 pm After ODB died I just could not stomach it, as it reminded me of how she had been treated by so many for very valid, reasoned opinions.
Can someone please explain in plain language why this poster ODB was so important and is held on a pedestal above the thousands of other users on that site? I stopped browsing the other place a long time ago and thus am unfamiliar with the current inner circle clique.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

She seemed a really nice friendly person, willing to debate / could hold her own opinion but disagree with class and manners.

And I’m FAR from any clique as am banned!

Post by 765489 »

Reminds me I have a pile of planks to sort out tomorrow.
CheekyChapette81

Post by CheekyChapette81 »

I will add to my reasons even if its unpopular...

As a bisexual female with a female partner, I attracted alot of unwanted attention (I'm talking PMs asking for threesomes) after just mentioning once I think, my personal situation.
Mods did feck all. I know others have said there's an overly liberal stance over yonder, and I actually agree, but scratch the surface and the bolloxes come out to play, believe me.
They all need to grow up a touch.
”she was cool-as if the whole world seemed to spin around her in smooth jazz” -Atticus
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

I still like Boards and use it but less these days. My fondness for it is mostly for historical reasons. The moderation appears to be looser due to the limitations of the migration but I could be seeing something that isn't there.

Not so long ago I messaged a number of them due to an unfortunate experience of mine and shure the response was lacking to say the least. I couldn't shake the feeling had I been part of the clique my concern would have been taken more seriously and the other mods in the clique would have at least acknowledged me.

I should be more mature than this I realise. Here I am bitching on a different forum.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

... so no unique reasons so far. For a while there, I thought this thread was going to be fun. :cry:
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

CelticRambler wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:58 am ... so no unique reasons so far. For a while there, I thought this thread was going to be fun. :cry:
It would be hard to find unique reasons. These things are usually the result of diverse people being of one mind about the same thing. :)
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:28 pm I still like Boards and use it but less these days. My fondness for it is mostly for historical reasons. The moderation appears to be looser due to the limitations of the migration but I could be seeing something that isn't there.

Not so long ago I messaged a number of them due to an unfortunate experience of mine and shure the response was lacking to say the least. I couldn't shake the feeling had I been part of the clique my concern would have been taken more seriously and the other mods in the clique would have at least acknowledged me.

I should be more mature than this I realise. Here I am bitching on a different forum.
TBH when I saw a poster or two being allowed, nay encouraged, to abuse posters in any gender discussion because they were on the "right" side - it was like a sign post saying "the end is nigh".

I related a true story about a family member's homophobic abuse online and noted that 90% of those making vile comments were of African origin (like actual Africa - Kenya and Ghana etc in their profile).

This got me a week's ban for racism!!!

They don't care about discussion or debate - just wokery and keeping to the one true opinion. Very sad.

JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Eejits telling me that they get to choose the pronouns I will use when referring to another, applying their flawed logic and twisted sense of reality was the beginning.

Two mods were the middle, as they slapped me every chance they got for pointing out that a spade is a spade, and not a shovel. Not just the usual hot topics of gender identity politics and so on, but any time I had the cheek to say something was a nonsense.

I didn’t realise it at the time, but the end was quickly approaching. The migration was embarrassing for all of them, but their expectations they could move data to North America and then ignore the few of us who kicked up about successive breaches of GDPR drew the line for me.

An echo chamber being run by folks who think their users (content creators and advertising audience really) owe them something is just the pits.

It took a few weeks to stop auto-typing ‘board….’ Into the address bar on a browser, but that bad habit is gone. Thank fork for that. Such a waste of time for the past couple of years!

Post by 316670 »

Would appear Wibbs was tapped up with the offer of being made a Mod, Gubu has them rattled!
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I enjoy Wibbs' musings I have to say!!!

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

NotThatDevnull wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:14 pm Would appear Wibbs was tapped up with the offer of being made a Mod, Gubu has them rattled!
Not sure what you mean as Wibbs has been a Mod on Boards for years?
'no more blah blah blah'
AmEireCan

Post by AmEireCan »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:38 pm I related a true story about a family member's homophobic abuse online and noted that 90% of those making vile comments were of African origin (like actual Africa - Kenya and Ghana etc in their profile).

This got me a week's ban for racism!!!

They don't care about discussion or debate - just wokery and keeping to the one true opinion. Very sad.
The totem pole of oppressed peoples is tricky to keep track of as its constantly changing. Blacks seem to be placed higher than gays recently and thus are shielded from homophobic accusations. 100 years ago women fought for the right to vote. Now they are being assaulted by men wearing skirts and we must accept it because transgenders are in vogue.

Only way to beat them at their game is to not play.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Maybe its the inner circle he will be called to....oooooooohhhh, lucky Wibbs :mrgreen:

Post by 95438756 »

Just don't be so green with envy about it kadser

Post by 765489 »

As long as its no a ploy to steal his lovely watch collection to pay off the out of hours Vanilla support bills.. :D
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

gugleguy wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:01 pm Just don't be so green with envy about it kadser
If it happens, he will be all powerful, and could unleash that power on any unsuspecting boardsie, :lol:

I was never offered that kind of accolade for my troubles. Wibbs must be special. ;)