Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Unique Reasons for abandoning the other social site

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
Samson

Re: Unique Reasons for abandoning the other social site

Post by Samson »

I understand the owner modding their site, want to eventually make money, but its a special kind of idiot who does it for free, whats the opinion of posters about this?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Lads. Staaaahhhppp. Plz.
😑
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
AmEireCan

Post by AmEireCan »

The past few posts are a good example of how cliques form. In-jokes teasing kadman (because the regulars know he was a past mod on Boards) and references to Wibbs’ watch collection (another in-joke only regulars would get). An outsider looking in would have no idea what’s going on, decide not to intrude on the group of friends chatting and decide to leave. Not berating anyone, just making an observation.

Already on Gubu it seems there is a core group of maybe only a dozen regular posters who are keeping the site active. It’s only natural that they learn bits of info about each other from interacting so frequently on the threads.
AmEireCan

Post by AmEireCan »

Samson wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:05 pm I understand the owner modding their site, want to eventually make money, but its a special kind of idiot who does it for free, whats the opinion of posters about this?
Has there ever been an Internet forum that paid the mods?
The closest I can think of are the sponsored “talk to” forums on Boards for Bank of Ireland etc. Even then, they are paid employees of Bank of Ireland, not of the forum.

To answer your question: yes, I think anyone who willingly works for free to make someone else rich is very foolish indeed.

Post by 765489 »

AmEireCan wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:45 pm The past few posts are a good example of how cliques form. In-jokes teasing kadman (because the regulars know he was a past mod on Boards) and references to Wibbs’ watch collection (another in-joke only regulars would get). An outsider looking in would have no idea what’s going on, decide not to intrude on the group of friends chatting and decide to leave. Not berating anyone, just making an observation.

Already on Gubu it seems there is a core group of maybe only a dozen regular posters who are keeping the site active. It’s only natural that they learn bits of info about each other from interacting so frequently on the threads.
I don't see any cliques on here. Just posters having a bit of banter like on any other good forum. I like reading what most of the posters have to say on here, Wibbs and Kadman included. Life is too short to be serious all the time. If the forum was just about covid or the latest woke fad, I wouldn't be here. I'm here mostly for the laughs and interesting posts.

In fairness this is mostly a very relaxed forum which is allowed flow. Just need more posters posting.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I think those that are the main posters are posting for a few reasons. They would have interests in a wide variety of topics, as well as trying to put out a lot of different topics to encourage others to post. I would love to see more topics thrown out there by lurkers or noobies. I mentioned this a long time ago that if its left to a few to throw stuff out there, that it will start to look as though the more prevalent posters are hogging the space. So i would encourage everyone to chip in.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Samson wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:05 pm I understand the owner modding their site, want to eventually make money, but its a special kind of idiot who does it for free, whats the opinion of posters about this?
I'd say they're no more idiots than those who add content for free? No?
AmEireCan

Post by AmEireCan »

Scotty wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:58 pm I'd say they're no more idiots than those who add content for free? No?
Us contributors can dip in and out as we please. I can make one post a year if I want or never post again (god willing, says you ;) ).

Mods on the other hand are obligated to delete spam, respond to reports, intervene if threads get into legally murky territory etc. Sounds like a pain the ass for no compensation. If you have secrets to share as an ex-mod please spill the beans.
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

AmEireCan wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:41 pm If you have secrets to share as an ex-mod please spill the beans.

Coke

& hookers

is all I'm sayin ... :mrgreen:
Wibbs
Verified Username

Post by Wibbs »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:47 pm I enjoy Wibbs' musings I have to say!!!
I'm useful as a soporific anyway. :)
Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.
Wibbs
Verified Username

Post by Wibbs »

AmEireCan wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:48 pm Has there ever been an Internet forum that paid the mods?
Many moons ago I did know of one guy who was paid to mod a sporting forum. This would be back in the mid noughties when forums would have been at or close to their peak. From what I recall it was nixer money, but he did it in the evenings after work kinda thing. There were other examples of big company forums and the like who had paid mods, but yeah they would have been a minority alright.
To answer your question: yes, I think anyone who willingly works for free to make someone else rich is very foolish indeed.
Nobody got rich from Boards. Even at its peak around 2009-2011 it was the poor relation earnings wise of what would become adverts. When Daft bought into them it was adverts which was the bit they wanted, boards was secondary and after online ad revenues were slashed it was a difficult entity to keep afloat. Hence it's been through so many subsequent owners. Plus there is much to what Scotty wrote. All of us are content providers on "free" platforms in one way or another for big companies that are rich, some scarliy rich. And powerful. The vast majority of content providers on youtube are not making living wages from it and they'd put in more effort and expense than someone modding a forum, but google are making billions from them. At least youtube has a more direct mechanism for earning money. Onlyfans even more directly if you're ok with getting your tackle out. Facebook doesn't unless you're paid externally as an "influencer" to advertise tat to eejits. Ditto for twitter and the like. But we're a social animal so we continue to engage en masse while a tiny percentage make bank on the back of that.

The reason I did the modding thing was as a bit of craic at first, then I ended up being a carer, which meant an odd mix of no free time and lots of it. It was an escape in many ways. Kept my mind occupied. Would I have done it if that hadn't happened? Yeah, but not for long. I never got the abuse some did. I don't know why they kept at it.
Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

I left there years ago. Just got bored was all. There was some really sound people on it that I still talk to from time to time on my facebook account when IM not banned.

I rejoined the other place a few nights ago after getting permabanned on reddit and one of the girls told me to try out this place . Seems fairly snazzy so far. If you posted in After hours, Waterford city or Motorbikes on boards then you might remember me lol. Tis me the drunk fella haha.
AmEireCan

Post by AmEireCan »

Regarding the above post, I completely understand the boredom aspect. Boards could be incredibly repetitive and cyclical. Every November like clockwork the debate around Irish people wearing the poppy would pop up. Then dole bashing threads. Then Dublin is a crime-ridden kip. It got to the point where before even clicking into a thread, you could read the title and predict which posters would be on the first page and what their opinions would be. I’m convinced certain activists had a Google alert set for any mention of Sinn Fein on the site. The Shinnerbot phenomenon is very real.

What’s really sad is there are guys on the transport forum who have been discussing the rail link to the airport for the past 20 years. My heart breaks for them every time the project gets pushed back a few more years. When will they realize this is Ireland and it’s never going to happen. ☹️
Saint_Mel

Post by Saint_Mel »

The redesign was the main thing that reduced.my number of visits
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

Saint_Mel wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:28 am The redesign was the main thing that reduced.my number of visits
I made an account a few days ago but for the life of me I can't see a "new posts " button on my phone screen at all so I got lost and pissed off out of there .