Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Quote of the Day

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
Verified Username

Re: Quote of the Day

Post by 8760976543 »

"People are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling."
- Dr. Kelso

Post by 765489 »

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree." - Martin Luther.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

For fifteen years the writer Varlam Shalamov was imprisoned in the Gulag for participating in “counter-revolutionary Trotskyist activities.” He endured six of those years enslaved in the gold mines of Kolyma, one of the coldest and most hostile places on earth.
Not one quote but a link to a long 'quote'. 45 things Varlam Shalamov learned in the Gulag. It is moving.

https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/201 ... the-gulag/

''The extreme fragility of human culture, civilization. A man becomes a beast in three weeks, given heavy labor, cold, hunger, and beatings.'' ~ Varlam Shalamov
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

"When we are not sure, we are alive."
Graham Greene
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. - Elie Wiesel
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

20211112_060615.jpg
20211112_060615.jpg (99.66 KiB) Viewed 4987 times
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

What is true is already so. Owning up to it doesn't make it worse. Not being open about it doesn't make it go away. And because it's true, it is what is there to be interacted with. Anything untrue isn't there to be lived. People can stand what is true, for they are already enduring it.

Eugene Gendlin. Philosopher.

A good resolution for a new year.

Post by 765489 »

If you haven't found something strange during the day, it hasn't been much of a day. - John Archibald Wheeler

Post by 765489 »

E_5UjMTVQAI5AVq.jpg
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.” - January 14, 2013
Benito Mussolini.

Apt quote for the times we are in when one is supposed to surrender autonomy to the bio-secure state. In my little opinion, of course! 😛
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Heard a Latin phrase that sums up the JD and AH trial, “ Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus”

Post by 765489 »

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever. – Carl Sagan
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

You cannot separate the air that chokes from the air upon which wings beat -John Perry Barlow

Post by 765489 »

In peace the sons bury the fathers. In war the fathers bury the sons. - Herodotus
SmartinMartin

Post by SmartinMartin »

No matter how good looking a woman is, someone, somewhere is sick of her shit.

A wise old Corkonian.

Post by 765489 »

The one entered my mind this morning when I heard the news on Gorbachev.

Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff. - Frank Zappa.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Seamus Heaney was nine years gone today.

His quote (well, poem!):

“Be advised my passport’s green, no glass of ours was ever raised to toast the Queen”!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:30 pm Seamus Heaney was nine years gone today.

His quote (well, poem!):

“Be advised my passport’s green, no glass of ours was ever raised to toast the Queen”!!
Hard to believe that long has passed. I was fortunate to meet him a few times. He was a noble man.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Getting information from the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant - Mitch Kapor.
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

"The little wisdom that the world possesses, was introduced by lunatics.” - H-G.R de Mirabeau
KHD

Post by KHD »

Stupidity has a habit of getting its own way. - Dr. Landowska, line from the movie The Day After.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I saw this on the internet today and I wholeheartedly agree with it. Especially in the face of constant warnings of end of days re ww3 or climate extremism.

CS Lewis
“In one way we think a great deal too much of the atomic bomb. ‘How are we to live in an atomic age?’ I am tempted to reply: ‘Why, as you would have lived in the sixteenth century when the plague visited London almost every year, or as you would have lived in a Viking age when raiders from Scandinavia might land and cut your throat any night; or indeed, as you are already living in an age of cancer, an age of syphilis, an age of paralysis, an age of air raids, an age of railway accidents, an age of motor accidents.’

In other words, do not let us begin by exaggerating the novelty of our situation. Believe me, dear sir or madam, you and all whom you love were already sentenced to death before the atomic bomb was invented: and quite a high percentage of us were going to die in unpleasant ways. We had, indeed, one very great advantage over our ancestors—anesthetics; but we have that still. It is perfectly ridiculous to go about whimpering and drawing long faces because the scientists have added one more chance of painful and premature death to a world which already bristled with such chances and in which death itself was not a chance at all, but a certainty.

This is the first point to be made: and the first action to be taken is to pull ourselves together. If we are all going to be destroyed by an atomic bomb, let that bomb when it comes find us doing sensible and human things—praying, working, teaching, reading, listening to music, bathing the children, playing tennis, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep and thinking about bombs. They may break our bodies (a microbe can do that) but they need not dominate our minds.”

Post by 678904673 »

"No bird soars to high if he soars on his own wings."

William Blake