Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Sad Demise of the "Right to Repair" Bill at the hands of the US Government

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.

Sad Demise of the "Right to Repair" Bill at the hands of the US Government

Post by 95438756 »

Put in Smoking Room forum on purpose, because it does'nt matter a dang how it will turn out for EU / Ireland.

Watching Louis Rossmann videos on Rossmann Repair Group channel puts the whole thing in context:

In tech, Apple wants as much as possible to make their phones and computers as irreprable as possible. In Farm Machinary, John Deere wants to ensure likewise, even if it's a tiny easily replaceable part on your Tractor.

For me, this means shortening the lifespan of your favourate laptop and smartphone. And whatever you do, don't break them!

Here in Ireland, it's my own unpopular opinion that 99% of phone shops that have sprung up overnight in O'Connell Street and in the shopping malls are shoite. Indeed I have a dim view of the official Irish 3 / Vodafone / Eir / everybody else repair agent based in Sandyford.

What's your take on this state of things?
Frank

Re: Sad Demise of the "Right to Repair" Bill at the hands of the US Government

Post by Frank »

To me it shows that nobody is really interested in carbon footprint outside of the posturing for a bit of show. Repairing old things would be a huge win but it’s a huge win that makes rich people make less money.

Post by 490808 »

I see this as very badly thought out.

Look at it another way. Say the right to repair means that more people that couldn't otherwise afford say top end phones get to use second hand repaired one. Guess what the aspirations of the group will be for their next phone.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Since the advent of hp, on credit, on the tick, set by, pay weekly, we have long since been a throwaway society, and replace it with a new one, on credit.

Most of us have lost the hand/eye skills to repair, refurbish, and rebuild any modern day item that breaks down, like they were manufactured to from computer chips all the way through to monsanto seeds with modified terminator genes where they are no use for seeding next years crops.
Its not a revelation, its been like this for decades. Luckily I repair and recycle most of what I have , and can happily live without a phone if that goes.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Between this and built in obsolescence, we're screwed.

Post by 95438756 »

Though not going down without a fight in America.

Post by 95438756 »

Not dead yet.
Rossmann even launches a broadside against Raleigh bikes UK. Entertaining too.watch out for the language.

Post by 95438756 »

Nudder concise vid which should'nt tax any gubernites ADHD. WIll Smith even gets a mention.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Companies will always win. The world is set up for them to win.
jmcc
Verified Username

Post by jmcc »

gugleguy wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:27 pm For me, this means shortening the lifespan of your favourate laptop and smartphone. And whatever you do, don't break them!
Hardware has a finite lifespan. There was a mention of laptops having about an 18 month operational lifetime. The charging connection (USB) often fails first in mobile devices because the miniature USB connectors are not robust. Then there are the batteries which have a limited number of recharging cycles before failure and that's all before the displays and other components. The increasing miniaturisation, multi-layer printed circuit boards and use of surface mount components have made it more difficult to repair a lot of modern electronic equipment. Most people are unaware of a concept in Electronics called the "economical repair". If The cost of time and parts is greater than the cost of replacement and the device is a few years old then it is not an economical repair. DIY is fine but repair shops are businesses.

Regards...jmcc

Post by 95438756 »

going down in a blaze of glory....come on thank my post, even my foes should thank me!