Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Your Bucket List!

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
quodec

Your Bucket List!

Post by quodec »

Name the top three things still left on your bucket list......

So here's mine:

1: Go tornado chasing in the US mid-west.
2: A week travelling around Iceland in an all-terrain vehicle.
3: Get up close an personal with a US aircraft carrier.

What's yours?
isha
Verified Username

Re: Your Bucket List!

Post by isha »

Spend a few months doing nothing when the weather is perfect on one of the quieter Islands off Vietnam like Nam Du or Phi Quoc or one of them that is even quieter.

Live in Tibet for a while. In a yurt. Properly in the middle of nowhere. But where there are other Tibetans.

Make a proper full length all in feature film.

That's just the start of my list. I want to repeat the above. And have a farmhouse in Gozo where I live part of every year and can go look at the temples anytime I want. A place by the sea. Warm sunshine. I would love to live in a place where there is a lot of perfect sunshine and eat my breakfast outside in the mornings.

Now look what you've done. I'm wistful for all the things I don't have!
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

quodec wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:42 pm Name the top three things still left on your bucket list......
[ThreadKillModeOn] :? This is a concept that I've never been able to understand. If there's something you really want to do before you kick the proverbial, why don't you just do it instead of putting it on a list?

And how discontented with your lot in life do you have to be, if you've got a list of things that you feel would make your life more complete and/or having been worth living? :?

You can guess, then, that I have no "bucket" list, so there's not even a top one never mind three. But I really would like to get the next 12m of my new road graded by the end of today, so that at least that job's done if I die in my sleep tonight. :mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It's perfectly possible to be happy NOW and still have dreams and fuzzy fantasies.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Found this online and it suits my philosophy - “The day we stop dreaming is the day we start dying.” The trouble is everything on my dream/bucket list is too damn expensive. I've seen the World - Western Europe anyway - and that will do me. Perhaps a visit to the Festiniog & Welsh Highland Railways would be a good start - the last time I was on the Festiniog Railway was in 1997 and the rebuilding of the 25 mile long line between Portmadoc and Caernarvon was at a very early stage. If you haven't been you haven't lived as regardless of your interest in trains the scenery is worth it alone.

'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:53 am It's perfectly possible to be happy NOW and still have dreams and fuzzy fantasies.
Indeed - but why do they have to be fuzzy? And why is it your impending death that gives them some extra special value?

The closest I ever came to making a "bucket list" was shortly after I moved to France and, as part of a local authority sponsored "be a better immigrant" programme, one of the exercises was to make up a list of things I would really like to do, regardless of how unrealistic they might be. The point of the exercise wasn't, in fact, to make us immigrants feel more integrated, but to show that there was nothing that couldn't be arranged if you knew who to contact. My interlocutrice sorted out first steps towards realising all five of my "fantasies" within one week.

Post by 765489 »

Mostly travel desrinations on my bucket list. Will likely involve trains and staying a couple of nights here and there along the way.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

CelticRambler wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:44 pm Indeed - but why do they have to be fuzzy? And why is it your impending death that gives them some extra special value?

The closest I ever came to making a "bucket list" was shortly after I moved to France and, as part of a local authority sponsored "be a better immigrant" programme, one of the exercises was to make up a list of things I would really like to do, regardless of how unrealistic they might be. The point of the exercise wasn't, in fact, to make us immigrants feel more integrated, but to show that there was nothing that couldn't be arranged if you knew who to contact. My interlocutrice sorted out first steps towards realising all five of my "fantasies" within one week.
It's just things I like to think about, not really gotta do this before I die. Those would be things I would love to do if I had money.

But in the meantime I am pretty happy, and peaceful, even though things are a bit crap for me at the moment, objectively speaking. I would like to maybe go to Sardinia for a holiday some time in next 12 to 18 months. That's not beyond the bounds of possibilities and that is cool. Meanwhile if I die tomorrow I have no regrets or unfulfilled longings. It's all gravy.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

isha wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:29 pm It's just things I like to think about, not really gotta do this before I die. Those would be things I would love to do if I had money.

But in the meantime I am pretty happy, and peaceful, even though things are a bit crap for me at the moment, objectively speaking. I would like to maybe go to Sardinia for a holiday some time in next 12 to 18 months. That's not beyond the bounds of possibilities and that is cool. Meanwhile if I die tomorrow I have no regrets or unfulfilled longings. It's all gravy.
And if that doesn't work out for you - there's always Bray. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

:idea: Oh! I've just remembered: Two weeks ago, I did have something - three buckets, on my Lidl list! :mrgreen:

I doubt they'll feature in the top three of my all-time favourite buckets, though. That'd be a toss-up between a reclaimed 10l bucket of paint (used for collecting and rinsing veg), a good, solid, 30l one that serves as a general purpose bucket in the garden and puts up with a lot of abuse, or one of the children's sand-buckets (small, bright yellow) which I use outdoors as an amplifier for my phone if/when I want to listen to the radio or other streamed audio. The colour makes it easy to see where I've left it.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Another one I remembered. Spend Christmas and New Year up in the north of Scandinavia far away from everyone except family, with snow and trees all round me, living in a wooden cabin with an open fire and lots of firewood and a hot tub on the porch from which I can see the aurora borealis in all its splendour.

It's the simple things 😉
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Your post reminded of another item that I could add to my list - unsurprisingly it involves steam trains and Wales again! Ever since visiting Devil's Bridge in the late 1970's I have wanted to stay at the wonderful Hafod Hotel and be snowed in for a couple of weeks. Not too many guests and plenty of food and drink - heaven.

Devil's bridge lies twelve miles east of Aberystwyth at 820 ft above sea level and is best approached by steam train on the Vale of Rheidol Railway. It's beautifully sited at the top of the valley and surrounded by magical waterfalls for which the area is famous. I was back about twenty five years ago but only popped in for a drink as we were on the train, and I'm still determined to return there sometime - and get snowed in!

'no more blah blah blah'
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

1/ Go record / CD shopping in Japan.

Post by 765489 »

Spend a night in a hotel made of ice.
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

Since Im all messed up in the head my bucket list is simple.

1. Travel all over Ireland on my motorbike.
2. Go to a concert .
3. Have a fecking job and not be relying on disability.
4. A little place of my own would be nice.
46a

Post by 46a »

Snort pure coke out of the belly button of a 20 year old(tops) Latina whore in south America

Post by 765489 »

Go to a country that grows peaches. Pick one off a tree fully ripe and eat it. Then do it again 15 times until I get a pain in my stomach.

It must be some taste sensation to eat a fully ripe peach off a tree. Rather the the hard yokes that are shipped to the wholesalers here.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:24 pmIt must be some taste sensation to eat a fully ripe peach off a tree.
It is. I can confirm (from the peach tree in my own garden). But not nearly as amazing as eating hot apricots off the branch. 8-)
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Swim with great white sharks. Am doing it for my 60th!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Finish my private pilots license
Cross open seas in a boat I build myself
Ride a BMW touring bike through every country in Europe (I'm about half-way through)
Build a small house, with completely traditional, completely off-grid capability
Fill that house with only furniture I've built myself
Get my immense mind and competent hands to understand how to work a poxy sewing machine