Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Trivial things why gubu is better

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.

Trivial things why gubu is better

Post by 95438756 »

Over on boards, you get posters who theatrically declare that they are "leaving this thread for good and never posting again on it". And post again 5 minutes later.

There is also a loyal devoted clique of Joe Duffy and Ryan Tubridy fans / supporters. More Lurkers in Duffy's case.

Newly registered "experts" and "learned one" trolls. There's a lot more noise these days. This becomes a blight on bank holidays.

Re: Trivial things why gubu is better

Post by 765489 »

Format here is easier on the eyes. I don't feel like I'm gonna get clobbered by grammar nazis if I post something incoherent:)

Also there is an awful lot of posters over on the other side that literally post out of their arsehole.

In saying all of that there are some good posters over there but I couldn't be assed wading through the bullshit to get to them.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Sea lions don’t run the place over here :D

Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

***Raises finger to point out missing apostrophe, opens mouth to start talking, closes mouth and lowers finger as saying anything about the missing apostrophe would be a dick***

Post by 765489 »

A friend of mine read a book about the apostrophe once. I still can't understand why he would do such a thing ha.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Boards is over moderated by little Hitlers. In the years I posted on there I never insulted, harassed, defamed or humiliated any other poster. Yet I had "infractions", I was threatened with bans and for what? For not paying attention and posting in the wrong thread. I had these jumped up, anonymous little pricks who were probably half my age, talking down to me as if I was a spoilt child.
Gubu is not over moderated and is small enough to have a sort of "community" feel about it. People are posting their opinions and opinions will always differ, no need for patronizing and belligerent attitudes just because you don't agree.
Frank

Post by Frank »

This site doesn’t jump up and down the page about twenty times a minute.
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Lack of overzealous moderation a significant plus, absence of sock puppets holding court about excrement/preferred pronouns/wondrous FG is another bonus. "Simple" "as" "that".
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

marhay70 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:20 pm Boards is over moderated by little Hitlers. In the years I posted on there I never insulted, harassed, defamed or humiliated any other poster. Yet I had "infractions", I was threatened with bans and for what? For not paying attention and posting in the wrong thread. I had these jumped up, anonymous little pricks who were probably half my age, talking down to me as if I was a spoilt child.
Gubu is not over moderated and is small enough to have a sort of "community" feel about it. People are posting their opinions and opinions will always differ, no need for patronizing and belligerent attitudes just because you don't agree.
Word!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
quodec

Post by quodec »

Coincidentally, the original GUBU occurred 40 years ago this month. Malcolm MacArthur, the AG, Haughey et al!!! Fun times!

Post by 95438756 »

Wonder what he's doing now?
Selling soda bread??
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

quodec wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:49 pm Coincidentally, the original GUBU occurred 40 years ago this month. Malcolm MacArthur, the AG, Haughey et al!!! Fun times!
And the truth never came out - such was the power of the golden circle.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:17 pm A friend of mine read a book about the apostrophe once. I still can't understand why he would do such a thing ha.
That sounds like torture....
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

I like how nobody’s telling me that men can be women and insisting I pretend that to be true, or I’ll be banned.

Finger biting moderators and mickey wringing posters ruined that place.

When someone punishes you for pointing out their BS, you know you’ve ended up in a crappy corner of the internet.

That’s what boards is now. A backwater full of cousin loving knuckdraggers who’d breed amongst their own kin.

GUBU’s great. I like y’all, but I ain’t laying with y’all, neighbours.

Post by 95438756 »

Jayzeus you're like the Irish equivalent of the YouTuber 'Mental Outlaw'

Post by 765489 »

Celchick wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:14 pm Thread on Boards about that video mocking Michaela McAreavey - pretty much immediately: "The other side are just as bad". Ah Boards... never change. I mean, actually resorting to that shit in light of an innocent person being murdered for no reason. A person who had no political affiliation. I'm not even seeing that rot on Twitter.
Boards has alot of woodworm CK. Too late for fumigation unfortunately, the structure is completely fcked and needs to be demolished.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I still find it is in explicable why so few have jumped ship to here - a lot of it I put down to laziness and they aren't prepared to put in the effort that's needed to build a new board. Alternatively they could be glad to see the back of those of us that left to come here. :mrgreen:

And, at this stage, if they came here they would be seen as idiots for not quitting the absurdly broken mess that is Boards before now.
'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Reasons we’re better than Boards:

They have Renko. Beasty, end of the road (prat!!), Joeytheparrot and mods who take sides.

For a starter!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

JayZeus wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:24 pm I like how nobody’s telling me that men can be women and insisting I pretend that to be true, or I’ll be banned.

Finger biting moderators and mickey wringing posters ruined that place.

When someone punishes you for pointing out their BS, you know you’ve ended up in a crappy corner of the internet.

That’s what boards is now. A backwater full of cousin loving knuckdraggers who’d breed amongst their own kin.

GUBU’s great. I like y’all, but I ain’t laying with y’all, neighbours.
Ah now, let's normalise men burdened by a mental illness which accords them the right to use womens' restrooms at their own discretion and how dare you question gender ambiguity at the expense of concrete biological fact. By the way, straight white males (the horror) stoke the antipathy of obese sewer dweller(s) who monopolise that other site in a series of tedious guises. An "abominable" development my friend, don't try to "bendar" the truth pal, a "spicy" notion buddy, I cannot "belivia" dude.

#bekind
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
Frank

Post by Frank »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:08 pm Reasons we’re better than Boards:

They have Renko. Beasty, end of the road (prat!!), Joeytheparrot and mods who take sides.

For a starter!!!
Is the “lad” who “writes” every post “like” this still “knocking” around?
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Frank wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:36 am Is the “lad” who “writes” every post “like” this still “knocking” around?
You mean the ‘lads’ that always post within a few posts of each other? I’m sure there are more names.

https://www.boards.ie/search?query=raci ... =community
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Frank wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:36 am Is the “lad” who “writes” every post “like” this still “knocking” around?
Look no further than the etiquette thread in AH to meet the "family", mods either wilfully turn a blind eye to near identical posting styles or else they are easily bamboozled by one (possibly two) puppet masters bouncing IP addresses around like a pinball. My money is on the former, key alliances with power brokers afford "them" infinite scope to pollute threads with scatology.

Gubu slays the competition, common sense modding & the absence of factionalism are endearing qualities.

#bekind
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

No one over here uses the phrase ‘you do know…….?’ like a condescending prick. :lol:

Post by 765489 »

Gubu uses less processing power on your personal computer and mobile device due to webpages not having to render with multiple iterations of the same adverts and other crap as you scroll down the page. Gubu users are not using up the earths resources in a wasteful way like users of planks.ie.
Screenshot_20220606-192620_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220606-192929_Gallery.jpg
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:12 pm I still find it is in explicable why so few have jumped ship to here - a lot of it I put down to laziness and they aren't prepared to put in the effort that's needed to build a new board. Alternatively they could be glad to see the back of those of us that left to come here. :mrgreen:

And, at this stage, if they came here they would be seen as idiots for not quitting the absurdly broken mess that is Boards before now.
I wonder where they did go? An odd time I would pay a visit to Bargain Alerts to see if there are any, and today I scrolled through some of the forums I used to post on. Apart from Moderators, I only came across one or two user names I recognised. They may not have come here but they're not on Boards either.