Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Boards Hall of Fame

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
isha
Verified Username

Re: Boards Hall of Fame

Post by isha »

Ugh. Didn't see that as I gave up early in the day. I'm going to have to Google what bint means as long ago I made a mistake not knowing what nonce means. Where do people get these words? 😅
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Oh it's a very interesting etymology as it happens.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/bint

Post by 95438756 »

isha wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:37 pm I prefer a quieter place than an aggravating place lit by gas.
Hydrogen gas, always on the point of exploding.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bint

Trust urban dictionary to give me the low down. Anyway, just a diverting aside!!
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:40 pm To add - as a woman to see a man calling one of us a “horrid pissed bint” for raising a potential safety issue as a man was in the ladies toilets - why do we bother ??
If this was all to eliminate or at least criminalise hate there would be no need for the protected characteristics part, the law would apply to everybody. This would be a lot easier to get on board with.

Why do they only apply to minorities? They want to penalise racism against black people yet allow it against white people. They want transgender activists to be able to spew hate (like you quoted above) while silencing their critics. They want special rules where they are treated different the very opposite of justice, which is supposed to be blind. And it’s our minister for justice enforcing this, clown world.

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

knownunknown wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:49 pm If this was all to eliminate or at least criminalise hate there would be no need for the protected characteristics part, the law would apply to everybody. This would be a lot easier to get on board with.

Why do they only apply to minorities? They want to penalise racism against black people yet allow it against white people. They want transgender activists to be able to spew hate (like you quoted above) while silencing their critics. They want special rules where they are treated different the very opposite of justice, which is supposed to be blind. And it’s our minister for justice enforcing this, clown world.

I would never dream of calling someone a black bitch (upon pain of cancellation) yet a large black woman who ran into me at Heuston while using her phone and not looking was comfortable calling me “fat white slag” - either it’s ALL bad or NONE is bad.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:59 pm I don't know that. He could be but under a different name. I'm not good at picking out who is who.

Unfortunately I feel that we may be alienating potential posters from coming here. It may seem a bit..... unfriendly given some of the strong opinions in this thread.

In saying that the beauty of GUBU is it's lack of censorship. There might be a balance needed though if we want to attract more users. I'm not sure. See I love a bit of chat about over yonder but at the same time I don't know if it's wise.
I do feel some of the stuff in this thread is alienating. Or worse, likely to attract new users who are only interested in contributing more of the same.

Some of criticism levelled at GUBU on boards is that it is just disaffected posters whining about boards. If your first impression of this site was this thread, that sounds like fair criticism.

Yes GUBU is strongly lacking in censorship, but that's not to say anything goes. If you're discussing and debating your points of view in a reasonable and respectful fashion, you're not going to be censored here for your opinions. But you will get a ban for being a dick. And I think some of the comments in this thread are far closer to being a dick than being reasonable or respectful.

I've no intention of closing this thread, and have given a little more leeway to dicks in this thread for a few different reasons, mainly because I realise there is a depth of feeling on the subject of boards, and people can lose the run of themselves on this topic when they might be more balanced in other threads.

But please all posters here, if you value this site and would like to see it grow and attract more members, can you leave out the personal stuff on this thread? It's really not helpful.

By all means discuss particular posts and threads, link to them, and comment etc - we'll all understand what you're talking about without having to resort to personal attacks.

On balance I think it is OK to discuss the modding and specific mods. After all, the wheels coming off Boards modding was one of the reasons this site was started in the first place.

But don't get personal please. You can take it as a given, that most people on this site will probably agree with you that Beasty is a total and utter **** or whatever, so you're not really adding anything by spelling it out.

If you see some examples of lunatic modding, link to it and great, let's all have a laugh at the nonsense, but there is nothing to be gained by indulging in personal abuse.
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:09 pm The hate speech and transgender thread there is a fcking joke!

A certain number of swords is mod and posting - literally to wind people up and is attacking the poster and taking part in pile ons (you can imagine the usual suspects - Boguls, Robert the thief, uhohnothotmail, emilyspiceland (names changed to protect the knobheads ….)

It’s ugly and brutal and typical of the woke hellhole Planks is now.
<SNIP>
Last edited by Guburnor on Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't be a dick.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:52 pm <SNIP>
MOD NOTE: Banned for 24 hours.

EDIT - I have just lifted the ban, giving you the benefit of the doubt that maybe you were catching up with previous posts and you were yet to read the post above.

Will all others please take note, there will be a lot less leeway on personal posts in future.
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

haha yes, I hadn't read it yet.

cheerrs
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

I Love Boards!!!

They are all a great bunch of LADS!!!

:D
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:56 pm I Love Boards!!!

They are all a great bunch of LADS!!!

:D
Paradise itself, Kim Jong uimhir a haon endorses this message. Synchronized applause now and a relieved tear in the eye. That's the spirit, careful not to contract lockjaw after rimming your master. Glorious.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
Avey Terrible

Post by Avey Terrible »

That thread is septic. So many posters on there seem to have childlike minds.

Post by 678904673 »

I see we're getting a nice mention on Boards:)

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/205826 ... He/him/his
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

"hate sites" ... I mean , this is the level you're dealing with !!!

HATE SITES ??? I mean Gerrruppp ourra dah!!!
Avey Terrible

Post by Avey Terrible »

Not only does he seem to live his life on boards but he's also obsessed with this place too. *waves*
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

I hear you're a racist now father
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Hugh_Bigazz wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:03 pm I hear you're a racist now father
What’s the official line the church is taking on this sort of thing? Only the farm takes up most of my time and in the evening I like a cup of tea and I mightn’t be able to devote myself full time to the old racism.
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

Post by 95438756 »

Donald Trump thread :

The tommy helmeted mod has enough, DE De de.....

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/205815 ... _119812218
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

gugleguy wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:20 pm Donald Trump thread :

Stick to the agenda you imbeciles!
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Christ he’s one insufferable prick!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
KHD

Post by KHD »

gugleguy wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:20 pm Donald Trump thread :

The funny thing about that guy is that posters are putting up with him. People over there in them threads obviously like an authoritarian figure leading the discussions and been talked down to like they are 12 years old. Its actually quiet sad and pathetic. At least the threads flow on this site apart from the rule of don't be a dickhead to each other, which is common sense.

Post by 95438756 »

Not a fair point khd, but a Great one from you.
Otherwise boards would have become a ghost town well before now.
KHD

Post by KHD »

gugleguy wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:15 pm Not a fair point khd, but a Great one from you.
Otherwise boards would have become a ghost town well before now.
Probably a bit ott in my comment G I know, since Gubu began I've been visiting the site less and less. Only time I go into it now is if someone posts something about what someone said for a gawk. Even some of the forums I did like I couldn't be arsed with now. This site has a great ethos, just need more members and people posting, but I'm confident it will in time.