Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Boards Hall of Fame

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
knownunknown

Re: Boards Hall of Fame

Post by knownunknown »

kadman wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:02 pm So, whats the point about the continuous bitching about boards, i dont understand it. Its a fruitless exercise that achieves nothing. Better off posting stuff here that builds up the site, sniping about boards doesn't do it. But like i said if it rocks your boat...
I’d say just a small percentage of my overall posts are about boards and the ones that are for example a few pages back were highlighting the hypocrisy of the place, how users on the right side of things could post while threadbanned even eventually getting it removed while others incur a siteban. I wouldn’t feel the need to document this stuff except for the powers that be over there try to deny it happens. They have the power to edit, amend and remove posts all in a desperate attempt to write various narratives, but they don’t have the power to do that here.

It’s a matter of record in one small thread in one small forum. Maybe there is a fine line between criticism and bitching and it’s too easy to cross between the two. I’ll try better.
KHD

Post by KHD »

When new members come on board its a good place to get all the stuff you wanted to say on planks off your chest but could not. Sort of like weening a calf from its mother, a resting point before you go full Gubu.

When you go full Gubu planks becomes a distant memory, except when new members join. :mrgreen:

I do enjoy when people post ridiculous threads from there though as I love to have a gawk at some of the posts.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

Guburnor wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:19 am Reposting the below as a reminder to all....

I do feel some of the stuff in this thread is alienating. Or worse, likely to attract new users who are only interested in contributing more of the same.

Some of criticism levelled at GUBU on boards is that it is just disaffected posters whining about boards. If your first impression of this site was this thread, that sounds like fair criticism.

Yes GUBU is strongly lacking in censorship, but that's not to say anything goes. If you're discussing and debating your points of view in a reasonable and respectful fashion, you're not going to be censored here for your opinions. But you will get a ban for being a dick. And I think some of the comments in this thread are far closer to being a dick than being reasonable or respectful.

I've no intention of closing this thread, and have given a little more leeway to dicks in this thread for a few different reasons, mainly because I realise there is a depth of feeling on the subject of boards, and people can lose the run of themselves on this topic when they might be more balanced in other threads.

But please all posters here, if you value this site and would like to see it grow and attract more members, can you leave out the personal stuff on this thread? It's really not helpful.

By all means discuss particular posts and threads, link to them, and comment etc - we'll all understand what you're talking about without having to resort to personal attacks.

On balance I think it is OK to discuss the modding and specific mods. After all, the wheels coming off Boards modding was one of the reasons this site was started in the first place.

But don't get personal please. You can take it as a given, that most people on this site will probably agree with you that Beasty is a total and utter **** or whatever, so you're not really adding anything by spelling it out.

If you see some examples of lunatic modding, link to it and great, let's all have a laugh at the nonsense, but there is nothing to be gained by indulging in personal abuse.
But Guburnor, your mention of Beasty and how most think he is whatever is very much in keeping with the personal comments you don't want.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:12 pm But Guburnor, your mention of Beasty and how most think he is whatever is very much in keeping with the personal comments you don't want.
:mrgreen: Nice one Diamonds.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

KHD wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:13 pm :mrgreen: Nice one Diamonds.
8-)
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:12 pm But Guburnor, your mention of Beasty and how most think he is whatever is very much in keeping with the personal comments you don't want.
Hmmm, I think Beasty can be all things to all men, hence my mention of him as "a ****, or whatever" - in my case what I actually meant was "You can take it as a given, that most people on this site will probably agree with you that Beasty is a total and utter dude"

On reflection, I can understand why you might have misunderstood my meaning, as perhaps it was pushing it to suggest most would agree.

My bad, point taken.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Guburnor wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:38 pm Hmmm, I think Beasty can be all things to all men, hence my mention of him as "a ****, or whatever" - in my case what I actually meant was "You can take it as a given, that most people on this site will probably agree with you that Beasty is a total and utter dude"

On reflection, I can understand why you might have misunderstood my meaning, as perhaps it was pushing it to suggest most would agree.

My bad, point taken.
Ah here. :mrgreen:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:22 pm For me it makes me feel better to slag off the utter pricks who site banned me for nothing tbh
You are part of a long list of boardsies who were banned for nothing, me included with a lifetime ban that they denied. But you know what, I've moved on,and so have dozens of others who were banned. In the scheme of things, who gives a shite. But if that makes you feel better, who are you gonna slag when they are gone, you are going to have to set up your own" slagofboards.com"

Go for it.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Just thinking... I'd love a big coffee mug with the letters GUBU on it. You'd think Del would already have these for sale on adverts. :mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

kadman wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:12 pm You are part of a long list of boardsies who were banned for nothing, me included with a lifetime ban that they denied. But you know what, I've moved on,and so have dozens of others who were banned. In the scheme of things, who gives a shite. But if that makes you feel better, who are you gonna slag when they are gone, you are going to have to set up your own" slagofboards.com"

Go for it.

I find having been right about the things I was sneered at or sanctioned for is the best healing balm.
Hunter did have a laptop. The EUDRA vigilance website has been recording serious adverse events from the shots since the beginning. And even Nicola Sturgeon is now a TERF 😆

Otherwise I think best to handle it like the break up of any bad relationship - as fast as possible know yer better off without the big fat loser and move on.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I am an ex.Boardsie who still stalks the site for a couple of mins first thing when I switch the laptop on in the morning. Del Monte hasn't posted there since shortly after the Vanilla migration and won't be again. Judgement Day can still be found on Adverts.ie but Standing Bear and several other short-lived re.regs have disappeared into the ether never to be seen again. Tis a sad tale especially poor Standing Bear .... :cry:
'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

kadman wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:12 pm You are part of a long list of boardsies who were banned for nothing, me included with a lifetime ban that they denied. But you know what, I've moved on,and so have dozens of others who were banned. In the scheme of things, who gives a shite. But if that makes you feel better, who are you gonna slag when they are gone, you are going to have to set up your own" slagofboards.com"

Go for it.
Fair point well made!!!

I will try to be the bigger posted KMan!

The tea mug with GUBU sounds a class idea tho btw!!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

:D Tea mug is a great idea, i'd buy one
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

New mods for AH I see.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Why do you have to request to join the soccer thread on boards anyway?

Post by 678904673 »

quodec wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:50 pm Why do you have to request to join the soccer thread on boards anyway?
From my memory the soccer thread tended to attract a particularly nasty kind of WUM. Hence why access is restricted. Though I suspect access is only gibmven to the chosen few
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

How are the guests that are staying in the imaginary mansion getting on I wonder? It will be a year shortly that this got dreamt.

Post by 95438756 »

So I started another thread on planks about inconveniences on a bank holiday.
A poster, along the lines of 'the landmass op' said that they were inconvenienced by the fact that there were no post or delivery services in Ireland on bh Mondays.
No, Ireland hasn't become completely mini United States, but we're getting there.
Go my dose of today's schadenfreude anyway.

Post by 678904673 »

gugleguy wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:33 pm So I started another thread on planks about inconveniences on a bank holiday.
A poster, along the lines of 'the landmass op' said that they were inconvenienced by the fact that there were no post or delivery services in Ireland on bh Mondays.
No, Ireland hasn't become completely mini United States, but we're getting there.
Go my dose of today's schadenfreude anyway.
You're post seems to have drawn the ire of the "#bekind" mob
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

That's sounds like a mob that should be lined up, shot and covered with lime and dirt.

#gettof***
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

JayZeus wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:22 pm That's sounds like a mob that should be lined up, shot and covered with lime and dirt.

#gettof***
Isn't that a bit extreme Jay? :|
KHD

Post by KHD »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:38 pm Isn't that a bit extreme Jay? :|
JZ is from the wood working forum, not somebody to be messed with. :mrgreen:
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

KHD wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:50 pm JZ is from the wood working forum, not somebody to be messed with. :mrgreen:
Now I'm frightened K! :shock:

:lol:
KHD

Post by KHD »

I better shut up before I become a sheet of MDF.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

KHD wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:13 pm I better shut up before I become a sheet of MDF.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: