Boards Hall of Fame

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
DeletedUser

Re: Boards Hall of Fame

Post by DeletedUser »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:41 pm Ireland is full (of transphobic racists)

#bekind

:D :D :D :D !!!

An actual signature from a planks user .... jeesus, must be a troll ?
Nah they’re just an absolute tool!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Avey Terrible

Post by Avey Terrible »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:15 pm Nah they’re just an absolute tool!!!
A tool with no life whatsoever

Post by 4589236 »

It's also good to remember the great posters on Boards over the years. We all remember Pighead, Mike65, Gordon, Degsy etc. You might not have always have agreed with them, but at least they understood the ethos of a message board. Posters you could have set your pocket watch to.
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

Is Wibbs still posting there, that guy is a rock of sense ...
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

The Whistleblower wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:31 pm It's also good to remember the great posters on Boards over the years. We all remember Pighead, Mike65, Gordon, Degsy etc. You might not have always have agreed with them, but at least they understood the ethos of a message board. Posters you could have set your pocket watch to.
Pighead was the lad who always talked about himself in the 3rd person yeah ?

was funny alright ..

Post by 678904673 »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:25 am Is Wibbs still posting there, that guy is a rock of sense ...
Still posting but not very actively. Always found them to be an excellent poster and would happily welcome over here
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

Happy Days wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:36 am Still posting but not very actively. Always found them to be an excellent poster and would happily welcome over here
I might lash him a PM ... but have to go over to planks .... uggghhhhh
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I can see the headline... Bishop Lashes Unsuspecting Man Minding his own Business.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Wibbs is a member here and has posted in the past. He knows where we are if he wants to post again. No need to spam him!
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

isha wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:09 am I can see the headline... Bishop Lashes Unsuspecting Man Minding his own Business.
FAR RIGHT RELIGIOUS CHRISTIAN MANIAC TRIES TO RECRUIT BOARDS MEMBER TO KNOWN HATE SITE
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:24 am FAR RIGHT RELIGIOUS CHRISTIAN MANIAC TRIES TO RECRUIT BOARDS MEMBER TO KNOWN HATE SITE
Better. Much better. :lol:
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 4589236 »

I see some of the usual suspects are in the Turgidy thread attempting to derail it.

It may seem like an extreme opinion, but I believe the Noel Kelly Talent Agency represents a current and growing threat to Irish democracy. Its stable of “stars” all push a single narrative, appear on each others shows and podcasts, and push a message that is always pro-establishment and the cosy consensus. Look at the lickspittles during the lockdowns.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Avey Terrible wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:25 pm A tool with no life whatsoever
Word!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

Post by 95438756 »

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

gugleguy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:31 pm More gold!
https://www.boards.ie/discussion/205828 ... tor#latest
That place is shite!!

KHD

Post by KHD »

gugleguy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:31 pm More gold!
https://www.boards.ie/discussion/205828 ... tor#latest

"There are a lot of pricks on this website." :D
Boardsie Exile

Post by Boardsie Exile »

As someone in the link above noted it's more about gatekeeping than moderation over there.
archfi
Verified Username

Post by archfi »

The Whistleblower wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:01 pm Haha, the scutter junkies. As a former moderator on Boreds I can say with some certainty that they aren’t all the one “poster”. I was told by another mod who claimed to know them that they are all former NUIG graduates who were indeed mates with the cliquey crew who once ran boards. All tedious running jokes, puerile lavatorial humour, and right-on “woke” centrist dad views. I was also told that at least one of them worked in RTE before moving to Noel Kelly “Talent” Agency. I can’t stand over that, but their boot licking of talentless no-marks like Turgidy and Clare Byrne would make sense then.

If you don’t sign up for the whole woke, #bekind, sneering pro-RTE, pro-FG, pro-Green, pro the status quo then they will literally shit all over you. Not a questioning thought or contrarian position on anything.
I knew I smelled NUIG off them...
archfi
Verified Username

Post by archfi »

The Whistleblower wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:04 pm I see some of the usual suspects are in the Turgidy thread attempting to derail it.

It may seem like an extreme opinion, but I believe the Noel Kelly Talent Agency represents a current and growing threat to Irish democracy. Its stable of “stars” all push a single narrative, appear on each others shows and podcasts, and push a message that is always pro-establishment and the cosy consensus. Look at the lickspittles during the lockdowns.
The main contributor (as in contributor who sparked conversation and kept a daily journal of Tubridy's awfulness as a radio host) was banned recently just after an abnormal influx of posts from the collective NUIG posse.
I haven't a clue why he was threadbanned as in I missed whatever it was.
That thread is dead on it's feet now.
Job done.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Reposting the below as a reminder to all....
Diamonds of Frost wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:59 pm I don't know that. He could be but under a different name. I'm not good at picking out who is who.

Unfortunately I feel that we may be alienating potential posters from coming here. It may seem a bit..... unfriendly given some of the strong opinions in this thread.

In saying that the beauty of GUBU is it's lack of censorship. There might be a balance needed though if we want to attract more users. I'm not sure. See I love a bit of chat about over yonder but at the same time I don't know if it's wise.
I do feel some of the stuff in this thread is alienating. Or worse, likely to attract new users who are only interested in contributing more of the same.

Some of criticism levelled at GUBU on boards is that it is just disaffected posters whining about boards. If your first impression of this site was this thread, that sounds like fair criticism.

Yes GUBU is strongly lacking in censorship, but that's not to say anything goes. If you're discussing and debating your points of view in a reasonable and respectful fashion, you're not going to be censored here for your opinions. But you will get a ban for being a dick. And I think some of the comments in this thread are far closer to being a dick than being reasonable or respectful.

I've no intention of closing this thread, and have given a little more leeway to dicks in this thread for a few different reasons, mainly because I realise there is a depth of feeling on the subject of boards, and people can lose the run of themselves on this topic when they might be more balanced in other threads.

But please all posters here, if you value this site and would like to see it grow and attract more members, can you leave out the personal stuff on this thread? It's really not helpful.

By all means discuss particular posts and threads, link to them, and comment etc - we'll all understand what you're talking about without having to resort to personal attacks.

On balance I think it is OK to discuss the modding and specific mods. After all, the wheels coming off Boards modding was one of the reasons this site was started in the first place.

But don't get personal please. You can take it as a given, that most people on this site will probably agree with you that Beasty is a total and utter **** or whatever, so you're not really adding anything by spelling it out.

If you see some examples of lunatic modding, link to it and great, let's all have a laugh at the nonsense, but there is nothing to be gained by indulging in personal abuse.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I would have thought by now, that getting such a hard on for what goes on in boards had run its course, but obviously not. I'm surprised by that really.But hey , whatever floats your boat.
Avey Terrible

Post by Avey Terrible »

Guburnor wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:19 am Reposting the below as a reminder to all....

I do feel some of the stuff in this thread is alienating. Or worse, likely to attract new users who are only interested in contributing more of the same.

Some of criticism levelled at GUBU on boards is that it is just disaffected posters whining about boards. If your first impression of this site was this thread, that sounds like fair criticism.

Yes GUBU is strongly lacking in censorship, but that's not to say anything goes. If you're discussing and debating your points of view in a reasonable and respectful fashion, you're not going to be censored here for your opinions. But you will get a ban for being a dick. And I think some of the comments in this thread are far closer to being a dick than being reasonable or respectful.

I've no intention of closing this thread, and have given a little more leeway to dicks in this thread for a few different reasons, mainly because I realise there is a depth of feeling on the subject of boards, and people can lose the run of themselves on this topic when they might be more balanced in other threads.

But please all posters here, if you value this site and would like to see it grow and attract more members, can you leave out the personal stuff on this thread? It's really not helpful.

By all means discuss particular posts and threads, link to them, and comment etc - we'll all understand what you're talking about without having to resort to personal attacks.

On balance I think it is OK to discuss the modding and specific mods. After all, the wheels coming off Boards modding was one of the reasons this site was started in the first place.

But don't get personal please. You can take it as a given, that most people on this site will probably agree with you that Beasty is a total and utter **** or whatever, so you're not really adding anything by spelling it out.

If you see some examples of lunatic modding, link to it and great, let's all have a laugh at the nonsense, but there is nothing to be gained by indulging in personal abuse.
Very fair comment. It's posts like this that make me like this site.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

kadman wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:15 pm I would have thought by now, that getting such a hard on for what goes on in boards had run its course, but obviously not. I'm surprised by that really.But hey , whatever floats your boat.
For a very long time it was Ireland’s digital town square, even during the lockdowns this was evident. Sure it’s a ‘private company and can do what it likes’ but it gives off the appearance of being fair and impartial(dispute forum, feedback forum etc..) but really they just punish anyone who disputes anything that goes against their politics and they don’t appreciate any negative feedback.

Imagine your local town square got taken over by people running around telling everyone else how bad they are and putting muzzles on others while professing that their ideology is the only accepted one, this wouldn’t be allowed. Why do we allow this in digital spaces?

We have libel laws yet these cowboys can go around calling people trolls that they disagree with, it’s just not on.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

knownunknown wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:16 pm For a very long time it was Ireland’s digital town square, even during the lockdowns this was evident. Sure it’s a ‘private company and can do what it likes’ but it gives off the appearance of being fair and impartial(dispute forum, feedback forum etc..) but really they just punish anyone who disputes anything that goes against their politics and they don’t appreciate any negative feedback.

Imagine your local town square got taken over by people running around telling everyone else how bad they are and putting muzzles on others while professing that their ideology is the only accepted one, this wouldn’t be allowed. Why do we allow this in digital spaces?

We have libel laws yet these cowboys can go around calling people trolls that they disagree with, it’s just not on.
So, whats the point about the continuous bitching about boards, i dont understand it. Its a fruitless exercise that achieves nothing. Better off posting stuff here that builds up the site, sniping about boards doesn't do it. But like i said if it rocks your boat...
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

kadman wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:02 pm So, whats the point about the continuous bitching about boards, i dont understand it. Its a fruitless exercise that achieves nothing. Better off posting stuff here that builds up the site, sniping about boards doesn't do it. But like i said if it rocks your boat...
For me it makes me feel better to slag off the utter pricks who site banned me for nothing tbh