Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Boards Hall of Fame

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
Hugh_Bigazz

Re: Boards Hall of Fame

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

Johnny Von Pintland wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:39 am Really like that Abdominal Dr Phibes poster. Not afraid to challenge cosy consensus thinking, and he’s extremely witty. Has a lovely turn of phrase as well. Tier-1 poster.
Except where he/she's blindly defending FG and all they do!!

Post by 95438756 »

If you replaced the Irish electorate with the Current subscribers on boards.ie they'd vote for an FG / Labour rump government.
The rest are opposition under SF.

Post by 765489 »

gugleguy wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:25 am If you replaced the Irish electorate with the Current subscribers on boards.ie they'd vote for an FG / Labour rump government.
The rest are opposition under SF.
So it's a bit like watching the proceedings in the Dáil - you learn nothing other than realising you've just wasted your time observing grown adults behave like juveniles and that its better for your sanity to switch to another station.

Post by 95438756 »

Dang. Ya got me ncdj. Me Watching too much of the Tith an oieacht channel or whatever it's called on telly!

Post by 765489 »

Surprised no one mentioned MT Cranium, the Canadian weather forecaster. Good knowledgeable poster.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:23 pm So it's a bit like watching the proceedings in the Dáil - you learn nothing other than realising you've just wasted your time observing grown adults behave like juveniles and that its better for your sanity to switch to another station.
I tried watching before but even children can behave better than they do. It’s all accusations and screeching. Such an embarrassment.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

The bun fights, we call it. Silly Billys. But sure you must remember seeing that the biggest gobshytes, defectives, narcissists and wimps were the ones who got most heavily involved in "young" political parties at school/university.
A good politician is fairly rare.

14361265_450_450_676_0_fit_0_cc508d165ccde28c6e9626945a945a11.jpg
14361265_450_450_676_0_fit_0_cc508d165ccde28c6e9626945a945a11.jpg (33.26 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:44 pm Surprised no one mentioned MT Cranium, the Canadian weather forecaster. Good knowledgeable poster.
Also sryanbruen (he of the Storm Bingo and storm comparison table) and Gaoth Laidir. The latter poster does a good job of balancing out weather and storm hysteria.

Several of the most knowledgable posters on the weather forum would be derided as climate skeptics by the screaming mob.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Climate! There’s no such thing as climate, you cis-neutred shinnerbot blue shirted patriarchal feminazis! Ilk-something-something! Arrrrrggghh!

Post by 95438756 »

JayZeus wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:37 pm Climate! There’s no such thing as climate, you cis-neutred shinnerbot blue shirted patriarchal feminazis! Ilk-something-something! Arrrrrggghh!
So you think you're qualified in all of these minutae.....

But are you truly woke?

Seriously. 8-)
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Can’t believe what I just read over there, truly a new low. The right ons posting mental health phone number line number in response to a valid, inoffensive observation and then justifying it by saying they want to help people. These same people that were so offended by talk of Biden’s cognitive abilities as to see the topic banned from discussion. The height of depravity and hypocrisy.

Post by 765489 »

BrianD3 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:15 pm Also sryanbruen (he of the Storm Bingo and storm comparison table) and Gaoth Laidir. The latter poster does a good job of balancing out weather and storm hysteria.

Several of the most knowledgable posters on the weather forum would be derided as climate skeptics by the screaming mob.
I seen your thread in CA on homecare. I'll be filling out that public consultation form tonight. Hope you don't mind me bringing it up here as i dont have an account on boards. I have spent at least 10 years of my life dealing with home care companies, the HSE and public health nurses due to my mother been in the later stages of MS. There are no words I can put down to describe the anger I have for most of the people I've had to deal with over the years on this. I've been through most scenarios you have posted in the other forum and at some stage, when I'm in the right frame of mind and have a couple of hours free time, I will describe my experiences that my dad and self had and also what my mother had to go through. You will hit many brick walls on your own journey through this, the HSE, the care companies and health nurses have a tendency to band together when you report something.

Look after yourself Brian, it's a stressful situation you are in.

If its inappropriate to post this let me know man and I will get rid of it. Just when I read your thread there it brought it all back to me with regard to what you have to now deal with.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

No problem at all, if I wanted to separate my posts "over there" from those here, I wouldn't have picked out the same username when registering.

Also, the more web traffic there is about issues like homecare, the better.

Ideally, thousands of people would swamp the public consultation with their experiences as all of it is FOIable with identifying info removed. Unfortunately, we know from previous public consultations on various topics that very few people make submissions.
Last edited by BrianD3 on Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 765489 »

BrianD3 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:46 am Ideally, thousands of people would swamp the public consultation with their experiences and all of it would be FOIable with identifying info removed. Unfortunately, we know from previous public consultations on various topics that very few people make submissions.
I'll be making it my business to do it. I would have been reticent to do it while my mother was alive due to repercussions as we were threatened on numerous occasions with review of services when we brought up certain issues. I will not hold back on the b@stards.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

knownunknown wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:49 am Can’t believe what I just read over there, truly a new low. The right ons posting mental health phone number line number in response to a valid, inoffensive observation and then justifying it by saying they want to help people. These same people that were so offended by talk of Biden’s cognitive abilities as to see the topic banned from discussion. The height of depravity and hypocrisy.
Are you talking about the thread in AH that was closed (and then reopened thanks to me :D) when a poster mentioned suicide? Their post was deleted and helplines were posted in it's place.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:31 pm Are you talking about the thread in AH that was closed (and then reopened thanks to me :D) when a poster mentioned suicide? Their post was deleted and helplines were posted in it's place.
No, in current affairs, it popped up both in the trump and Biden threads. Has since been cleaned up so there is no longer any record of it.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

knownunknown wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:03 pm No, in current affairs, it popped up both in the trump and Biden threads. Has since been cleaned up so there is no longer any record of it.
I see. I rarely frequent those threads although I do like to read a lot of the others on that forum. Would rarely post in them though.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:05 pm I see. I rarely frequent those threads although I do like to read a lot of the others on that forum. Would rarely post in them though.
You’re probably right the discussions there and how people are treated is really horrible. The poster who had the mental health phone number levelled at them has since been banned and the one who said it is still going so I really think the moderation is to blame.
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

gugleguy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:06 pm Passed away tragically - fell into canal and drowned while drunk: Pygmalion a boards classic early on.
Great wit and nuance.
Was an acquaintance of mine in university, were in a few societies there together. That was such a sad time. Ten years ago this year, the search for his body went on for about a month.

Post by 95438756 »

On a recent thread on boards.ie the OP wonders why Israel gets away with so much? A growing number of bleeding hearts..

Well, it has since 1948. I remember when I was a teenager watching a BBC documentary about how Israeli soldiers broke Palestinian protesters arms with their own hands. I remember when rte reported when an Israeli commander felt "insulted" by an Irish UN peacekeeper he slapped the Irish man across the face. Israel industry also manufactured the favoured Uzi sub machine gun. (An daption of a czec design incidentally)
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Alf Stewart. I thought he was good fun. Turns out he was also McMurphy who was also lots of other accounts. Or something. Strange if true because I remember Alf's posts as being just a bit of craic and not political.

I remember there was a poster called Conor74 I think. He was a solicitor apparently. I don't know what my opinion was of him but I think he was very strong in his beliefs, a no messin kind of lad. He disappeared.

Post by 95438756 »

Latest pair of threads from a noob over on boards.ie: "liveline gold"
: He purchased a "package" from Samsung.

..As a Home user, he wants to sue Samsung.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Interesting to watch what an echo chamber actually is. It should be studied…for science. Years planks has banned anyone who vaguely disagrees from their US political threads and the fruition of this is people who had so much potential now more interested in silencing the opposition then in having discussions. They become hysterical at the mere site of a conflicting opinion.

Their arguments have gone blunt, they rather strawman then make any argument of their own, they don’t even know what a fair argument is anymore. It’s like Darwin’s survival of the fittest, if there is no driving force to become fit then you become fat, lazy and incapable of making rational points and arguments.

They are relishing in the raid on trump, no heed paid at all to what the charge is or that this sets a new precedent. They are just bloodthirsty, brainwashed by their daily intake of CNN and Brian Stelter. It matters not that this is now the latest in a long string of investigations that went absolutely no where, ( remember impeachment 1 or 2? Or the mueller report? Or the case against his taxes? Or the Steele dossier? Or the lies of Danchenko?

“They’ll finally get him this time” was the sentiment from the mods and regulars as they foamed at the mouth, eager for impending trump arrest after each of those. The same sentiment being expressed right now over there. When this all blows up and nothing comes of it they’ll just start banning anyone who remembers what happened right now and what is being said. Anyone with a memory over there is automatically an enemy. Ignorance is bliss.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

knownunknown wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:24 pm Anyone with a memory over there is automatically an enemy. Ignorance is bliss.
The mutability of the past is the central tenet of Ingsoc. Past events, it is argued, have no objective existance, but survive only in written records and in human memories. The past is whatever the records and the memories agree upon. And since the Party is in full control of all records, and in equally full control of the minds of its members, it follows that the past is whatever the Party chooses to make it.

George Orwell.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 95438756 »

The Salman Rushdie stabbing thread has of course descended into a fight between athiests and woke religious over on boards.ie.