Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Boards Hall of Fame

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
WokeHogan

Re: Boards Hall of Fame

Post by WokeHogan »

isha wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:44 pm You seem intent on stirring up shit. For what it is worth I think he is not racist.

The comments are being taken completely out of context. For example before we all had to regard every Ukrainian as a living saint, it was completely valid to say there were big issues in that country re sex trafficking, surrogacy farming, right wing extremists etc. It's perfectly arguable that cultures from different parts of the world clash, and that problems arise. We have a very liberal secular and technologically advanced society in Europe which took a long time wading through our own dark ages to develop and some immigrants are coming from places that are riddled with misogyny, homophobia, and extremely backward attitudes, and this can and does cause societal problems. Some people come to Europe and their only experience of women is seeing them confined to village huts or the kitchen, or completely swathed and chaperoned if elsewhere. It's incomprehensible to some belief systems that women have independence and self determination.

Cultural relativism is for virtue signalling idiots . Not all cultures or belief systems or education systems or social mores are equal. Some are better than others, fairer, more equitable, safer and freer especially for women, gay people and minorities.

So if you want to drag people about opinions taken completely out of context of a much wider nuanced discussions and expressed elsewhere, maybe do so there, where people can defend themselves properly.
I dunno. Remarks about "white flight," "white erasure," and hoping the Eastern European have more kids than "other" immigrants seem fairly fecking racist to me.

Fair play to C_L_S for pointing that out, is my point. They were asking for evidence and she pulled it out of the bag. That's rare.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

WokeHogan wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:57 pm I dunno. Remarks about "white flight," "white erasure," and hoping the Eastern European have more kids than "other" immigrants seem fairly fecking racist to me.
I’m reminded of that scene from “the life of Brian” where all the women are dressed up as someone else screaming for blood just because someone said Jehovah. Context is key wokehogan. We used to laugh at people like this, don’t use it as a field guide about how to conduct your business.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:44 pm You seem intent on stirring up shit. For what it is worth I think he is not racist.

The comments are being taken completely out of context. For example before we all had to regard every Ukrainian as a living saint, it was completely valid to say there were big issues in that country re sex trafficking, surrogacy farming, right wing extremists etc. It's perfectly arguable that cultures from different parts of the world clash, and that problems arise. We have a very liberal secular and technologically advanced society in Europe which took a long time wading through our own dark ages to develop and some immigrants are coming from places that are riddled with misogyny, homophobia, and extremely backward attitudes, and this can and does cause societal problems. Some people come to Europe and their only experience of women is seeing them confined to village huts or the kitchen, or completely swathed and chaperoned if elsewhere. It's incomprehensible to some belief systems that women have independence and self determination.

Cultural relativism is for virtue signalling idiots . Not all cultures or belief systems or education systems or social mores are equal. Some are better than others, fairer, more equitable, safer and freer especially for women, gay people and minorities.

So if you want to drag people about opinions taken completely out of context of a much wider nuanced discussions and expressed elsewhere, maybe do so there, where people can defend themselves properly.
Let’s not forget that I was served with a one week ban from Planks for noting that on Facebook when one posts a pro-gay message like Rainbow Laces, or a rainbow badge for Pride - 99% of the vitriol and abuse that follows is fr African and Middle Eastern men.

This is a fact and was dismissed as “racist guff”.

They’re not big on facts over there and sad to see that thinking permeating here with some of their users posting on our site.

Klaz for one has lived overseas extensively and been the victim of racism many times. I’d listen to them,
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

WokeHogan wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:16 pm Stuff about white erasure, white flight, hoping that Eastern European immigrants outbreed "other" immigrants. I didn't like how C_L_S carried him/her-self but those posts from K ring alarm bells for me.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/commen ... _119513015

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/commen ... _119513103
Yeah as expected, bollocks.

Not wanting a vile backwards culture to take hold here is pragmatic, not racist.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:15 am

Klaz for one has lived overseas extensively and been the victim of racism many times. I’d listen to them,

Just wanted to thank this observation - as far as I know, this is so.

Anyway yesterday in an attempt to see what the conversation was about I visited the discussion, and I got a headache almost instantly. I don't think one realises how stressful is that level of arguing and insulting and trying to trip people up, until one looks at it in the rear view mirror.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:08 am Just wanted to thank this observation - as far as I know, this is so.

Anyway yesterday in an attempt to see what the conversation was about I visited the discussion, and I got a headache almost instantly. I don't think one realises how stressful is that level of arguing and insulting and trying to trip people up, until one looks at it in the rear view mirror.
100% - if they held an amnesty and allowed banned posters back I’d run a mile the other way back to here!!

Post by 765489 »

isha wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:08 am Just wanted to thank this observation - as far as I know, this is so.

I've read through some of it too. The only thing I could take away from it is that there are people out there that have little else going on in their lives other than logging on to an Internet forum to have an argument or get one up on a fellow anonymous Internet poster. These people think they are superior beings in their own head when, in reality, people don't give a fook about what they are saying and just think they are pathetic adults acting like children.

Post by 967543 »

BrianD3 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:14 am That thread (now locked) on #Bekind was like a car crash...must...not...look...but...somehow...have...to

How do people have the time and energy to post in such a thread. The poster "klaz" seems to be decent and genuine but is long winded and it looks like others get a kick out of making him waste his time responding to their goading.

It reminds me of school or any other environment where there is non physical bullying. Goad, goad, goad and then if someone hits back verbally or physically, they're the bad guy.
In fairness if you look at that thread you see vast majority of the thanks going toward posts that mock those #beKind SJW morons ...
FirstDegreeHurrDurr

Post by FirstDegreeHurrDurr »

WokeHogan wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:22 pmVery funny poster. Some of the more "controversial" posters on that site are great; very funny and right 100% of the time.

EmmettSpiceland, Pintman Paddy Losty, JohnnyFlash AKA Dr Phibes, CGI Livia Soprano. All absolutely fantastic posters.
They all have to work in the same office. Their constant backslapping of each other, sucking up to moderators and their tryhard wind-up shtick is way too similar for them to not know each other. I wouldn't mind them so much if they weren't painfully unfunny.

Post by 95438756 »

A thread has been started about how the OP gets angry when he's told by aquaintances that they don't want to have children.
And it's quite lively. I've thanked a poster that I always disagree with on everything else - Jaquon.
It's better off in PI. Again light touch modding in effect.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

Jequon. He has some questionable opinions but there's something about him that I kind of like. I don't think he does be on a wind up and like you I disagree with much of what he says. Maybe it's his complete disregard for trying to be something he isn't.

All speculation of course.

Light touch modding is good. AH shouldn't have 6 million mods. Mind you there is only one who seems active.
PI is for those who need advice and/or support rather than a platform to air their opinion.

Post by 893456 »

I like Jequon he doesn't give a shit what any one thinks of him. While at times I'd of disagreed with him he still stuck to his guns. Unlike alot of other posters I could name.

Post by 95438756 »

mmmm. Thread going a bit quiet.

Wonder how would the country perform ....... when Boards.ie was in Government.

Beasty as Toaiseach
Ten Of Swords Minister for Justice

What suggestions do other guernites have

Post by 765489 »

gugleguy wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:43 pm mmmm. Thread going a bit quiet.

Beasty as Toaiseach

*sharpens the prongs on my hayfork in preparation for the rebellion*
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

At least they couldn’t hide behind the excuse of being a private government as everything they did would be held accountable, unlike the cushy situation they currently find themselves in, not having to account to anyone.
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

gugleguy wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:43 pm mmmm. Thread going a bit quiet.

Beasty as Toaiseach

An intellectually impoverished Stalinist regime, controversial opinions/people removed without trace. Diktats handed down by Beasty, Ten Of Swords marshalling the Pravda wing. Dissent crushed mercilessly.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

LLMMLL Minister for “Womxn”

Post by 95438756 »

Odhrann: Minister for Arts Culture and An Ghaeltacht
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Overheal - Ambassador to the US (might get rid of him!!)

Post by 95438756 »

And now the latest delightful dumpster fire thread on boards:

"Why do people talk about their high salaries on the internet"

Of course the OP means on boards.ie
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Nope, that thread is mostly about the salaries mentioned on Askaboutmoney Money Makeover forum. Where people in Ireland on 100, 200, 300, 400k and/or with millions in assets ask strangers on the internet for free advice on managing their finances.

It's not about boasting or spoofing really, in fact the consensus is that posters in AAM are unlikely to be spoofing given the nature of that forum. So if we take what they are saying at face value, who are these people.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Biko just came to mind. A pleasant poster with interesting takes on things. Haven’t seen him around since he got threadbanned for a really stupid thing. The wind up merchants won that one.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

Avatar MIA, I think I liked him. Guy Person was definitely a good egg. There was woman poster from years ago and I can't remember her name. She contributed a lot to a thread about online dating, something 'Blonde' maybe.
Missdemeanor also but she could be rather cutting.
Fat Christy too was great fun.

Post by 95438756 »

Gordon - a Moderator. moderated Prison. Had a sense of humour too unlike present day mods
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

Mods getting called out on the bad modding
https://www.boards.ie/discussion/205826 ... affairs/p1