Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Work colleagues / College Classmates who ring / email you at the wrong time

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.

Work colleagues / College Classmates who ring / email you at the wrong time

Post by 95438756 »

Excepting emergency workers police fireman etc

I'm talking about office colleagues or classmates who want you to review an issue.
Had a Chinese colleague who would ring me on the phone really early in the morning here from China.
Cool guy otherwise. though.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Re: Work colleagues / College Classmates who ring / email you at the wrong time

Post by JayZeus »

It's really simple. Put your phone on do not disturb mode ( including scheduled) for times you don't want to be available.

I am never disturbed 'out of hours' by people for reasons that don't meet a high standard. They either don't have my number, or my phone won't pass their call through.

Anyone who needs to be able to reach me in an emergency is in the favourites list on the phone for phone calls, meaning their call will reach me. But their WhatsApp messages, SMS etc won't result in any audio/vibrate notifications when do not disturb is active.

If someone won't pick up the phone and call, it's not an emergency. If it's not an emergency, fire away and send your sms or whatsapp and I'll get to it when I get to it.

And if someone on that favourites list wants to call me in the middle of the night, they'd better have a bloody good reason, or they're removed from the favourites list the first time they abuse my confidence in putting them there in the first place.

I've had only a mobile phone since 1994. I'm so far past the point where I give a flying monkey what anyone else thinks about me not answering, not calling them back straight away, not giving them my number etc. It's my phone, for my convenience.

Fine for anyone else to work whatever way they want but at the end of the day, if someone else disturbs you in the night, it's your own fault these days. Everything's so configurable that there's no reason I can think of for it not to be in your full control.