Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What words no longer mean what you thought they meant

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
knownunknown

What words no longer mean what you thought they meant

Post by knownunknown »

What’s the latest newspeak or which words are becoming thought crimes and are in need of banning…? :roll:

I see how the fact checkers are now trying to rewrite the meaning of recession and it got me thinking about others.

Woman: Nobody knows what it means, if you do you’re a transphobe
Transphobe: Anyone who disagrees, no matter how slightly, with the LGBTQ community.
Antiracism: The act of judging everyone by skin color in order to defeat racism.
Inclusion: excluding people who disagree with us
Be kind: be kind to me while I’ll be nasty to you.
isha
Verified Username

Re: What words no longer mean what you thought they meant

Post by isha »

Supporting suing for peace or proposing peace negotiations now means you are a despicable, distasteful Putinbot who probably eats babies as snack food. 👀

It used to be you were a hippie 😭
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 95438756 »

Cool Dude

1980: Now I'm a cool dude - I rock

2022: Now I'm a cool dude - ok boss I'll act the Muppet because I'm paid to do so then.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Gay. When I was growing up it meant happy go lucky. Larry Grayson is the first person I can remember, suggesting its current meaning.
NickNickleby
Verified Username

Post by NickNickleby »

Woman.

Story from 1970's. Guy from Malahide was on a date to the cinema with a 'girl'. During one of the more boring scenes in the film, he discovered the 'girl' had some unexpected accoutrements. Didn't believe the story myself. Until was in the Grand (I think that's where it was) at a dance and someone pointed out the girl, and how she had an adam's apple - to reinforce the original story. Of course it could have been just a nasty rumour and the poor girl wondering how she couldn't get a dance.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

I think the most important thing is to refuse to discuss alternative meanings for words like Woman, Man, Women and Men. Or Male and Female.

Don't engage with morons who want to pretend those things mean something other than what we bloody well KNOW they mean.

Truth. That's a word some people think means something other than what it does too. Lies, likewise. They're not interchangeable, but those who want to pretend the words on the first line mean something else, they're the kind of people who think truths, facts and lies are all relative. They're not.

/rant.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

I just remembered how vaccine used to mean having immunity against disease but during the pandemic this was updated from immunity to protection.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

marhay70 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:57 am Gay. When I was growing up it meant happy go lucky. Larry Grayson is the first person I can remember, suggesting its current meaning.
Showing your age there marhay (my spell checker attempted to type margay :lol: )
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

knownunknown wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:44 pm Showing your age there marhay (my spell checker attempted to type margay :lol: )
if you saw me in the flesh you'd have no doubts about my vintage. Sexuality is one thing I never had a problem with, testosterone can be a blessing and a curse :)
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

JayZeus wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:14 pm Truth. That's a word some people think means something other than what it does too. Lies, likewise. They're not interchangeable, but those who want to pretend the words on the first line mean something else, they're the kind of people who think truths, facts and lies are all relative. They're not.

/rant.
Good word to pick there I remember OED made ‘post-truth’ their word of the year a few years back meaning: “Post-truth is an adjective defined as ‘relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief’”

I think the best way to describe these people is as post-modernists. Reality itself is subjective and no such thing as truth exists, at least according to them, so they are willing to lie and gaslight others in a bid to shape public opinion and push their ideology.

Post by 765489 »

knownunknown wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:35 am Good word to pick there I remember OED made ‘post-truth’ their word of the year a few years back meaning: “Post-truth is an adjective defined as ‘relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief’”

I think the best way to describe these people is as post-modernists. Reality itself is subjective and no such thing as truth exists, at least according to them, so they are willing to lie and gaslight others in a bid to shape public opinion and push their ideology.
Or another thing I see more of lately is that a "truth" is posted up on twitter and subsequently debunked as utter bullshit, but because it has being retweeted so much and given oxygen on main stream media outlets, the lie remains the truth. People have a natural tendency to not admit they were wrong so either ignore the fact that the bullshit they peddled was misinformation or just label people who call them out with some obnoxious term to discredit them.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

The Q word (q**er - I hate it, I've known too many lovely men beaten up while that slur was thrown at them).

It used to be a nasty euphemism, slur, insult to gay men - now it's been "reclaimed" by sad, boring wannabes like that **** Jameela Jalil who is as straight as I am but wants attention.

You come out as gay. It can be troubling, difficult, emotional, scary, positive (hopefully) but it's something the gay community still have to do.

If you are "coming out" as any of these made up things like non binary etc - then just f**k right off.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Although I don’t like the meanings of words being changed I do like how offensive slags have been ‘reclaimed’. Surely it’s nothing but a positive for a word to lose its power of insulting people.

Otherwise I’d agree with this multi sexual stuff. Its straight, gay or bi other than that you’re just making things up!
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

knownunknown wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:56 pm Although I don’t like the meanings of words being changed I do like how offensive slags have been ‘reclaimed’. Surely it’s nothing but a positive for a word to lose its power of insulting people.

Otherwise I’d agree with this multi sexual stuff. Its straight, gay or bi other than that you’re just making things up!
I recall a young Asian man in the UK called his business Paki Shops - reclaiming an insult his family got, I hope he did very well - the N word has been widely used by the black community.

Though I once called myself a paddy and almost gave an English person a heart attack!! "I thought we couldn't use that word ???"

Yeah you can't - we can lol!!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

Irish.

Post by 678904673 »

Remember when Woke meant to wake up up after a nights sleep