Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Post what's on your mind

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
DeletedUser

Re: Post what's on your mind

Post by DeletedUser »

I’ve got a cold, after three fcking weeks I’m still wheezing and sniffly :(
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:54 pm I’ve got a cold, after three fcking weeks I’m still wheezing and sniffly :(
Sorry to hear that. I have met so many people who have been left with a dreadful cough or chestiness this year. I'm recommending this product which a friend of mine, who was suffering weeks after a cold, used and found very helpful. You can get it in health stores.
I'm just linking this source randomly but Google Dr Wolz Vitalkomplex and you will find it.

https://downtoearth.ie/products/dr-wolz ... plex-500ml
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:15 pm Sorry to hear that. I have met so many people who have been left with a dreadful cough or chestiness this year. I'm recommending this product which a friend of mine, who was suffering weeks after a cold, used and found very helpful. You can get it in health stores.
I'm just linking this source randomly but Google Dr Wolz Vitalkomplex and you will find it.

https://downtoearth.ie/products/dr-wolz ... plex-500ml
Much appreciated thank you!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

isha wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:45 pmCongratulations!
TY.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

My daughter got locked out of Netflix and asked me for the login details, I had to look them up on my password document, as I have never logged out and it was an email address I never use and had forgotten I have. I logged in and found 1329 unread emails, all from Netflix!!
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

There needs to be a new New Deal.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Computer, stop telling me there's been a new login from Chrome desktop to X, y or z app. Yes. I know.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I'm bursted from power washing. Far too much of my life is a battle with ever advancing muck and algae. It's like holding back the tide 😭
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Have I been way to lenient on my son and his girlfriend?
I've allowed this situation to escalate to this point when in reality, I should have nipped it in the bud ages ago.
I think I've been too polite, and too complicit for their own good for too long now.
I've tried saying it nicely many times and in many ways and they acknowledge me, but then after a brief cessation, things continue on as before.

Dishes, bowls, cups, glasses and cutlery, we have lots of each, however, over a brief period, they all disappear into the 'abyss' that is my sons bedroom, without being ever repatriated to the kitchen dishwasher, unless there's a certain amount of negotiations involved.

I don't want to be ogre of the house, that's always giving out, or falling out about such 'seemingly trivial matters', but it's just so feckin annoying.

What would you do?
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

Apelles wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:28 am Have I been way to lenient on my son and his girlfriend?
I've allowed this situation to escalate to this point when in reality, I should have nipped it in the bud ages ago.
I think I've been too polite, and too complicit for their own good for too long now.
I've tried saying it nicely many times and in many ways and they acknowledge me, but then after a brief cessation, things continue on as before.

Dishes, bowls, cups, glasses and cutlery, we have lots of each, however, over a brief period, they all disappear into the 'abyss' that is my sons bedroom, without being ever repatriated to the kitchen dishwasher, unless there's a certain amount of negotiations involved.

I don't want to be ogre of the house, that's always giving out, or falling out about such 'seemingly trivial matters', but it's just so feckin annoying.

What would you do?
Is your son over 18 ?

If yes, feck him out on the street.

Cruel to be kind ...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Apelles wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:28 am Have I been way to lenient on my son and his girlfriend?

What would you do?
It depends on his age. My oldest son was a complete headwrecker. He is 32 now and still creates a zone of chaos all around him whenever he comes home. It's just his nature to be chaotic, untidy, and well...brilliant. He is awesome really, and very kind.
Give out a bit. But not overly much. There are far FAR worse things he could be doing.
If however he is into his twenties etc, give him a kick in the hole.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Definitely don’t give out when he actually returns the stuff to the kitchen, ‘oh I guess you were hoarding them up there’ or something along those lines. This will discourage them being returned.

Maybe you don’t do this so ignore if required but I see many people giving out when the thing is being done that they want, they discourage the behaviour that they actually want.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:53 am Is your son over 18 ?

If yes, feck him out on the street.

Cruel to be kind ...
isha wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:22 pm

It depends on his age. My oldest son was a complete headwrecker. He is 32 now and still creates a zone of chaos all around him whenever he comes home. It's just his nature to be chaotic, untidy, and well...brilliant. He is awesome really, and very kind.
Give out a bit. But not overly much. There are far FAR worse things he could be doing.
If however he is into his twenties etc, give him a kick in the hole.
He's our eldest, he's twenty three and still at college. He works one day a week at the weekend.
He goes to the gym every day, and drinks those 'milk based' protein shakes in plastic shakers, which he leaves scattered around the house like unwashed 'stink bomb booby traps' to any unsuspecting do-gooders, who in the act of opening one of these yolks to put in the dishwasher, is nearly knocked out by the rancid stench they emit.

His bedroom is a very large space, but pretty much a 'no go' area for the rest of us. I haven't done it up in ages and have no intention of doing so while he treats it as a dumping ground for lord knows what?

But generally, he's a good, funny lad and I'd never kick him out . . . unless he had somewhere decent to live.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

knownunknown wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:40 pm Definitely don’t give out when he actually returns the stuff to the kitchen, ‘oh I guess you were hoarding them up there’ or something along those lines. This will discourage them being returned.

Maybe you don’t do this so ignore if required but I see many people giving out when the thing is being done that they want, they discourage the behaviour that they actually want.
Do you mean in a reverse psychology type of way?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Apelles wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:17 pm He's our eldest, he's twenty three and still at college. He works one day a week at the weekend.
He goes to the gym every day, and drinks those 'milk based' protein shakes in plastic shakers, which he leaves scattered around the house like unwashed 'stink bomb booby traps' to any unsuspecting do-gooders, who in the act of opening one of these yolks to put in the dishwasher, is nearly knocked out by the rancid stench they emit.

His bedroom is a very large space, but pretty much a 'no go' area for the rest of us. I haven't done it up in ages and have no intention of doing so while he treats it as a dumping ground for lord knows what?

But generally, he's a good, funny lad and I'd never kick him out . . . unless he had somewhere decent to live.
Kids and young adults like the rest of us can be pains in the asses. Mine are a small few years older than yours and there were times when I was at the end of my tether. The only thing I can really say - because everyone has to deal with their stuff with their kids their own way - is that I never regret having not fallen out with them.

Some things have to be let slide. It's up to you to decide what they are. In fairness kids can find their parents very irritating also. Eyes on the goal. Which is getting on with them really well for the rest of your life.

Re stinky used milk shake things - line them up on his pillow for him :P
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

isha wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:38 pm
Re stinky used milk shake things - line them up on his pillow for him :P
That would require entering the no-go zone . . Some serious protective gear would be necessary.
ezgif-3-adaaedd162_64.gif
ezgif-3-adaaedd162_64.gif (292.73 KiB) Viewed 4443 times
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Apelles wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:26 pm Do you mean in a reverse psychology type of way?
I haven’t made myself clear. I mean that if you might pass a negative comment when he brings the shakers back this might be stopping him from doing it in the future. Big if.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

knownunknown wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:26 pm I haven’t made myself clear. I mean that if you might pass a negative comment when he brings the shakers back this might be stopping him from doing it in the future. Big if.
I get ya. I think I must've now tried every approach from just messing and slagging him about it, to pulling him aside for a serious, quiet word. Nothings worked in the longterm as yet. His girlfriend used to be very tidy but she now seems to have given up and taken on his mantle.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Mention, with as much gravitas as you can muster, to the girlfriend, that you thought you saw a mouse in that room, although it looked a bit big for a mouse. :)
Calahonda52
Verified Username

Post by Calahonda52 »

complete bo**lox, being slavishly subjugated/subservient to you adult child in the hope of a future relationship.
Children are born to dominate/not be dominated.
Time to recognise this
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

marhay70 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:41 pm Mention, with as much gravitas as you can muster, to the girlfriend, that you thought you saw a mouse in that room, although it looked a bit big for a mouse. :)
If they thought for one second, that there was a rodent of any discription in their room, they'd honestly hunt it down and keep it as another pet. Anyway, one of the cats already spends a lot of time in there with them, and since getting the cats, we've never once had a stray mouse about the place.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Calahonda52 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:56 pm complete bo**lox, being slavishly subjugated/subservient to you adult child in the hope of a future relationship.
Time to recognise this
So . . . your advice is . ?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Calahonda52 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:56 pm complete bo**lox, being slavishly subjugated/subservient to you adult child in the hope of a future relationship.
Time to recognise this
I think both parts of this post fall under the definition of hyperbole.
No one thinks parents should be slavishly subjugated to their children.
The other is a weird way of looking at perhaps the most profound relationship all people have. And the effects on people of a mess up in it are lifelong. Both ways. (Though some rare cases may be unavoidable).
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Apelles wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:16 pm If they thought for one second, that there was a rodent of any discription in their room, they'd honestly hunt it down and keep it as another pet. Anyway, one of the cats already spends a lot of time in there with them, and since getting the cats, we've never once had a stray mouse about the place.
Maybe you have a wimpy cat. I saw one in my back garden the other day turn and run from a blackbird. Now a magpie I could understand, they are , without doubt, airborne terrorists, but a blackbird? :shock: :shock: :shock:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Apelles wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:28 am Dishes, bowls, cups, glasses and cutlery, we have lots of each, however, over a brief period, they all disappear into the 'abyss' that is my sons bedroom, without being ever repatriated to the kitchen dishwasher, unless there's a certain amount of negotiations involved.

What would you do?
I'm guessing you've never imposed a "no food in the bedrooms" rule?

Well, with the additional info you've given, I'd go full ogre and tell him that from now on no family cutlery, crockery or glassware is to be taken out of the kitchen/dining room; if he wants to eat or drink in his bedroom, then he can buy his own, of a style that is sufficiently distinctive to allow it to be returned to him if/when it's ever found amongst the clean stuff in the dishwasher.

As for the rancid power drinks, I would most definitely pile them up just inside his door. :twisted: