Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Post what's on your mind

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
Apelles

Re: Post what's on your mind

Post by Apelles »

isha wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:57 pmI would prefer to entertain the honest contempt of a Boris Yeltsin too plastered to get off the plane.
Well, it just might happen that Biden won't actually be able find his own way off the plane either.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:39 pm I think a friendship I’ve had for almost a decade is over because of something I said when I was drunk.

If something was so important it shouldn’t be broken for something like that which means it wasn’t that important to him. I’m devastated.
Been thinking about this on and off since you posted, and couldn't help associate it with your later post on the other thread:
PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:26 pm Carling cos it’s cheap and I need to drink to forget a friend of near a decade couldn’t give a flying fck about me
I was once an ear-witness to SonNo.1 telling his long-standing girlfriend of the time that he'd had enough of having her phone him The Morning After The Night Before and complaining about feeling rough and/or apologising for stuff that had been said or done, and/or not remembering what had been said or done, and if that was going to be a regular feature of their relationship, she shouldn't bother calling him again. She never did.

SonNo.1 is not boozophopic (he went out of his way to buy 6 litres of strong French cider on a flying visit this weekend, to bring back to Belgium :roll: ) ... but some of us can't be doing with the "Irish" attitude to drink and will cut our losses sooner or later. :(
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Had some kind of a thing happen yesterday evening. Getting checked out. Could be minor, but could also be not minor so they are doing the scans. Sobers one up. Makes one rethink aspects of life. Hopefully it is just a passing reminder of life's uniqueness and fragility. I've been very lucky to be very healthy so far. And hopefully will be going forward! Anyway I am laughing right now at this image.
20230427_081129.jpg
20230427_081129.jpg (71.41 KiB) Viewed 8509 times
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

isha wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:58 am Had some kind of a thing happen yesterday evening. Getting checked out. Could be minor, but could also be not minor so they are doing the scans. Sobers one up. Makes one rethink aspects of life. Hopefully it is just a passing reminder of life's uniqueness and fragility. I've been very lucky to be very healthy so far. And hopefully will be going forward! Anyway I am laughing right now at this image.

20230427_081129.jpg
I hope you're going to be okay Isha, and that whatever happened yesterday evening was just a little glitch 🙏
Do keep us updated about it.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Obligatory safety notices included with power tools. Why bother? My latest acquisition came with 31 pages (double sided) of CE-marked safety instructions and risk warnings, printed in tiny font in numerous languages. These are in addition to the warnings printed in the instruction manual.

Now I understand the logic of telling people that one should take precautions when turning (e.g.) wood into breathable dust particles, but seriously: is the kind of person likely to kill themselves with an ill-advised power-tool purchase going to even look at these leaflets, let alone read them?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

And on the subject of pointlessness, there's a story in the French news today about the "friend" of a 15-year-old being arrested for pimping. The girl went missing from the outskirts of Paris a couple of weeks ago, but was found in a hotel in Bordeaux a few days later, due in part to the broadcast of a "missing vulnerable person" notice, including photos and a physical description.

Today, in the follow-up story, instead of photos of the arrested 18-year-old, the media are running copies of the missing person notice ... with the girl's face blurred. Why bother? Seriously, why? What possible benefit can there be now to blurring her image when the original notice is still widely available?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

There's hope for us yet. Last night, during a session of parliament in Paris, one of the civil servants in attendance suffered a heart attack and collapsed on the floor of the house. She was fortunate that amongst the deputés (=TDs/MPs) present was a volunteer firefighter/paramedic and a doctor, the one from Marine Le Pen's far right party, the other from Macron's centrists. In that moment, they put aside their political differences to work together on their patient, got her breathing, got her heart beating again, and had her stabilised before the official emergency services arrived on the scene.

With all the ructions going on at present, it's nice to know that good side of humanity can still be found in unexpected places.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Looking forward to watching the Coronation tomorrow and hoping, as I always do on these sort of occasions, that everything goes smoothly.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-famil ... ehearsals/
'no more blah blah blah'
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:56 pm Looking forward to watching the Coronation tomorrow and hoping, as I always do on these sort of occasions, that everything goes smoothly.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-famil ... ehearsals/

Post by 678904673 »

All the fuss about Bruce Springsteen playing here. Yes he's had some good tunes. But the way the Irish musical press treat him you'd swear he was the musical messiah
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Happy Days wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:13 am All the fuss about Bruce Springsteen playing here. Yes he's had some good tunes. But the way the Irish musical press treat him you'd swear he was the musical messiah
Never done it for me but he's supposed to be a nice guy by all accounts.
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Headed home from work at 5pm after an exhausting shift, my mind going 90 to the dozen with a list of cleaning tasks I had ahead of me as visitors coming tonight. My son visited briefly at the weekend and when I came through the door I saw that he had cleaned the whole place spick and span before he left. I actually gasped!! Bit emoshunel now to tell the truth. 🥺😭
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

isha wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:55 pm Headed home from work at 5pm after an exhausting shift, my mind going 90 to the dozen with a list of cleaning tasks I had ahead of me as visitors coming tonight. My son visited briefly at the weekend and when I came through the door I saw that he had cleaned the whole place spick and span before he left. I actually gasped!! Bit emoshunel now to tell the truth. 🥺😭
Isn't great to eventually find out, that all the lessons/lifeskills that you taught your son through the years, are finally paying a decent dividend. :D
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I decided to have some toast. In a couple of fluid movements, standing in the one spot, I took down the butter dish off a shelf, I reached for the bread knife and I took down the long bread board which I had resting on top of the toaster (it's usual spot). As I finished those movements the large enamel bread bin slid silently and effortlessly across the countertop towards me, all by itself, ready for me to take out the bread. I got such a fright.
A second later I figured out that another hidden breadboard behind the bread bin had slid down slowly and pushed the bread bin exactly to me. But for that second I was living in a Ripley's Believe It Or Not episode 😳😳
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

isha wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:09 am I decided to have some toast. In a couple of fluid movements, standing in the one spot, I took down the butter dish off a shelf, I reached for the bread knife and I took down the long bread board which I had resting on top of the toaster (it's usual spot). As I finished those movements the large enamel bread bin slid silently and effortlessly across the countertop towards me, all by itself, ready for me to take out the bread. I got such a fright.
A second later I figured out that another hidden breadboard behind the bread bin had slid down slowly and pushed the bread bin exactly to me. But for that second I was living in a Ripley's Believe It Or Not episode 😳😳
Ghosties? :?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

That's what my daughter reckons 🙂
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Mileage was a useful word. Kilometreage just doesn't have the same ring to it or usefulness.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

When some people opt for different pronouns like they/them do they still refer to themselves as I,me and myself? :?: :?
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

knownunknown wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:31 am When some people opt for different pronouns like they/them do they still refer to themselves as I,me and myself? :?: :?
I'd imagine the more narcissistic ones will eventually develop some sort of illeistic, verbal tic . . . but Apelles would never do that.

Post by 678904673 »

Nevermind pronouns. I've decided to refer to myself in the fourth person
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Happy Days wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:22 am Nevermind pronouns. I've decided to refer to myself in the fourth person
Singular or plural? :mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

How come nobody has yet invented a motorway petrol station franchise called SNACKS & JACKS?

Post by 678904673 »

isha wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:51 pm How come nobody has yet invented a motorway petrol station franchise called SNACKS & JACKS?
A name like that might attract the wrong type of clientele:)

Post by 95438756 »

Deactivated my Twitter account - rambunctious toddler Elon Musk has really banjaxed it good and proper in the quest to get as much revenue as he can out of it.
Still have Facebook to waffle on when I want.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Facebook. The ruination of an entire generation’s social aptitude.