Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Post what's on your mind

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
DeletedUser

Re: Post what's on your mind

Post by DeletedUser »

Jeremy Corbyn and the left wing morons glorifying Hamas at the same time as piles of Jewish bodies are viewed around the world.

Bastards. Utter, deluded fecking Nazi bastards.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

They’re not Nazis though. I really wish people would stop using that term so arbitrarily.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

JayZeus wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:28 pm They’re not Nazis though. I really wish people would stop using that term so arbitrarily.
I used it deliberately in the sense Hamas want to wipe out all Jews from the planet, which sounds familiar…
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:23 pm I used it deliberately in the sense Hamas want to wipe out all Jews from the planet, which sounds familiar…
Yeah, I know it was deliberate. But Hamas are absolutely not Nazis. That’s exactly my point.

Turning Nazi into a generic term and using it as such blurs the lines on something that should never become abstracted from the facts and realities of the heinous acts the Nazis committed.

Hamas are not Nazis. Men are not women. Speak and write the truth.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

JayZeus wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:37 pm Yeah, I know it was deliberate. But Hamas are absolutely not Nazis. That’s exactly my point.

Turning Nazi into a generic term and using it as such blurs the lines on something that should never become abstracted from the facts and realities of the heinous acts the Nazis committed.

Hamas are not Nazis. Men are not women. Speak and write the truth.
Fair point JZ !!

I just abhor antisemitism - not least of all due to my Jewish heritage.

I tried to make a point.

Post by 678904673 »

I have a rat in the house. Well at least 2 I reckon. Spent most of last night trying to catch them. But they're cunning buggers
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It's the time. Some days ago himself turned the compost heap and I suddenly heard scrabblings in the house. We have caught eleven mice in three days 🥺😥🤢 - they all made a beeline for the house when the compost heap, where they were obviously living, was disrupted. It's awful to be such a big time mouse murderer, but I won't have them.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

isha wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:37 am It's the time. Some days ago himself turned the compost heap and I suddenly heard scrabblings in the house. We have caught eleven mice in three days 🥺😥🤢 - they all made a beeline for the house when the compost heap, where they were obviously living, was disrupted. It's awful to be such a big time mouse murderer, but I won't have them.
Funny story, I used work for a provider installing stuff in residential homes. Working on this home for this woman, I got to the house first, she arrived and let me in then she carried on about her business. Next thing I heard the screams out the back, thought there was a mass murderer!! She had humane mouse traps and was letting a mouse go over the back wall and it ran up her sleeve :lol:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

So greedy gutser rushes in, grabs some fresh homemade scones, lobs a load of butter and jam onto them without paying any tribute or attention to the baker, and then rushes off.

But they were really really cheesey scones....muahahahahahah!

😏

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

To make up for a rather shyte month, the Gods of TECH enabled me to discover what was mysteriously using up more than half the space on my C drive and having pressed DELETE I feel personally lighter in every way 🎉💃
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

... and ... ?

Are you going to leave it to our imaginations? :lol:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

CelticRambler wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:46 pm ... and ... ?

Are you going to leave it to our imaginations? :lol:
Failed print files. I had a lot of printing of high resolution large documents to do in a previous job.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ahhhh.

Thanks. I'll sleep easier tonight now! :mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I wouldn't kiss the Blarney stone. 🤢 Eeew people slobber.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

This is why I could never settle back into a life in Ireland.

One of the memorable images from the first day at the event I was at was seeing progressive waves of people arrive at the front door of the venue in full hiking gear - same as myself. I counted a grand total of four vehicles parked outside, and two of those belonged to the evening's performers. I can't imagine such a willingness to embrace car-free travel in Ireland.

And secondly: almost every first conversation started with the question "what language will we speak?" especially when there were three or more in the group. My conversational German has come on in leaps and bounds since Friday ! :)

Incidentally, regarding the last point, despite being the only person of Irish origin there, three times I was asked if I wanted to (or could!) speak Irish. A Swiss-resident French flautist told me she'd tried to learn the language, while studying at the trad school in Limerick, but found it ... challenging. :lol:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It's not that I don't like speaking in tongues, I'm quite okay at French, even German I understand and can hobble by in, and my Irish is pretty good, I just wouldn't kiss the Blarney stone because of all the other people who had been smooching it before me 😒🤢
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Sorty Isha - I didn't mean for that post to seem to refer to yours. I wouldn't be inclined :? to kiss that overhyped rock either. :)

Post by 678904673 »

isha wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:49 pm It's not that I don't like speaking in tongues, I'm quite okay at French, even German I understand and can hobble by in, and my Irish is pretty good, I just wouldn't kiss the Blarney stone because of all the other people who had been smooching it before me 😒🤢
Just speak loudly and slowly at them in English. The natives will eventually get you gist :lol:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Happy Days wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:09 pm Just speak loudly and slowly at them in English. The natives will eventually get you gist :lol:
At work in Alsace during the summer, I had a Chinese lady compliment me on my excellent English. :mrgreen:
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Sitting here with the family in the dark apart from loads of candles. it's good fun but they're all taking turns going out to my van to charge their phones and text their friends.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Do they know they'll have to repay the debt with physical labour when the van needs a push start in the morning? :mrgreen:
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Greta wouldn't approve as its not environmentally very good . . But feck it, I'm leaving the engine running for them.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

:shock: In that case, I hope you're going to bill them.

Do none of them have external battery packs? I've been running my phone on one of them all day coz, you know like, a phone is essential these days and you wouldn't want to find yourself dependent on finding a free socket in z hotel or a train or a family member's van, would you? :P
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Oh they have those battery packs alright, already all used up . . You know how hard teenager's are on these things.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

EV economics.

A new electric Citroën is coming to a forecourt near me next year at a price that's really quite sensible (barely 10k with subsidies) and I started wondering if it'd be a good time to trade in the 19-year-old Mégane that serves as my runaround. So I took a gander at the EV discussions over in the Other Place, and see they're still having orgasms over the prospect of being able to drive 400km on a full charge, having left their pride-and-joy plugged in somewhere for eight overnight hours.

Then I went to a committee meeting on Friday, saw there was cheap petrol available nearby and decided to get a top-up. Ten minutes (including card processing time, which was about half the duration), three-quarters of a tank, and the dashboard display says I'm good for another 640km (or about six months based on my current consumption).

Over the way, a few people threw up some Euros/km costs for longer journeys, and I was quite surprised to see how expensive these supposedly cheap-to-run vehicles are. One guy's trip through France last summer cost him almost as much in electrojuice as my camper cost me in dinojuice during the same period. It seems the whole "cheap-to-run" concept is based on not actually using the vehicle, but leaving it plugged in to some cheap (or free) source of electricity for as long as possible.

Now there might still be good reasons to swap the temperamental Mégane for a shiny new Citroën, but I reckon it'd take somewhere in the region of 35 years for it to make financial sense! :lol: