Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Post what's on your mind

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
Apelles

Re: Post what's on your mind

Post by Apelles »

CelticRambler wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:44 pm I'm guessing you've never imposed a "no food in the bedrooms" rule?
Have indeed tried enforcing that on a number of occasions, again it generally starts out well initially, but after a few weeks all the good intentions have completely petered away and the dishes are disappearing again.
CelticRambler wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:44 pmWell, with the additional info you've given, I'd go full ogre and tell him that from now on no family cutlery, crockery or glassware is to be taken out of the kitchen/dining room; if he wants to eat or drink in his bedroom, then he can buy his own, of a style that is sufficiently distinctive to allow it to be returned to him if/when it's ever found amongst the clean stuff in the dishwasher.
See CR, their's is the only bedroom thats on the ground floor. When the rest of us are gone upstairs to bed, they have the run of the place. And even when we are around, they kind of mostly stay in their room, gaming, listening to thrash metal and having take-aways delivered out to them.
If I did make them buy their own cutlery etc. All I could see happening is even more, bigger piles of dirty dishes, acuminating in their area.
I've found things growing in that room, that Assad might consider 'to dangerous' to use against insurgents.

CelticRambler wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:44 pmAs for the rancid power drinks, I would most definitely pile them up just inside his door. :twisted:
Yeah, gonna do that with the protein shakers from now on, just going to bag them up and leave them inside the door to his room.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Apelles wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:25 pm
Yeah, gonna do that with the protein shakers from now on, just going to bag them up and leave them inside the door to his room.
Don't bag them. That reduces their instructive stink power!
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Apelles wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:25 pmSee CR, their's is the only bedroom thats on the ground floor. When the rest of us are gone upstairs to bed, they have the run of the place. And even when we are around, they kind of mostly stay in their room, gaming, listening to thrash metal and having take-aways delivered out to them.
If I did make them buy their own cutlery etc. All I could see happening is even more, bigger piles of dirty dishes, acuminating in their area.
In that case, it sounds like you need to use a more subtle approach. Does the girlfriend keep to regular visiting hours, in the sense that you can be fairly sure she'll show up at a certain time every week? In which case, I'd suggest you furnish yourself with a good-sized plastic crate, and just as she arrives for her weekly shag, hand her the crate while telling him that you want it filled with all the missing tableware and to be left out for collection/dishwashing the following morning.

A direct order, no negotiation, and with the warning that you'll be banging on his door when you get up the following morning if it's not ready.

Then do the same thing again every week from there on. It might be judicious to use two crates - one that he'll keep in his room to fill progressively as the week unfolds (or at least the girlfriend will do it), and the second that you'll hand over empty on the Appointed Day to maintain the psychological aspect.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:32 am In that case, it sounds like you need to use a more subtle approach. Does the girlfriend keep to regular visiting hours, in the sense that you can be fairly sure she'll show up at a certain time every week? In which case, I'd suggest you furnish yourself with a good-sized plastic crate, and just as she arrives for her weekly shag, hand her the crate while telling him that you want it filled with all the missing tableware and to be left out for collection/dishwashing the following morning.

A direct order, no negotiation, and with the warning that you'll be banging on his door when you get up the following morning if it's not ready.

Then do the same thing again every week from there on. It might be judicious to use two crates - one that he'll keep in his room to fill progressively as the week unfolds (or at least the girlfriend will do it), and the second that you'll hand over empty on the Appointed Day to maintain the psychological aspect.
Right, I'll take on more of a Basil Fawlty approach to the whole situation. :lol:

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Know this has come up before and will again - but I’m on leave now till next Wednesday and watching day time telly - that Eir “gigglybit” advert makes me homicidal!!!

Right Children of the Corn vibe off that child in it!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane

Post by 95438756 »

There will never be another game like The Sims 3.
Oh, the sims 5 will be released ultimately.
The publishers maxis will use the same marketing that Microsoft did for windows Vista.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I'm not really a Bad Man, am I?

Working on the chicken-shed renovation this week, I kept hearing noises that sounded like "something moving about". It was a bird, a little fellow with an orangey-red tail, who had the ill-judged notion to start building a nest high up in the dry lining framing, where I'd removed the insulation so as to be better able to run some electric cables. Sorry, mister, but you can't build there ...

And then this afternoon I find that he's only opted to build a second nest on the opposite wall, above the door. Ah, hay-ur ... :x

It was a beautifully woven construction, with the freshest green moss (still damp), but fekkit, he has hundreds of square metres of other sheds and barns in which to create a place of his own, so down came that one too. :cry:
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:44 pm
It was a bird, a little fellow with an orangey-red tail
Dont feel bad CR, it will find another place to nest. Was it perhaps one of these Black Redstarts?

Screenshot_20230407_172744_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230407_172744_Chrome.jpg (266.28 KiB) Viewed 8149 times
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I’m fairly sure this would have me marked down as a big waycist .. but when you watch some of the scum on Judge Judy, you think Black Lives Matter should come with a codicil that says “but not all tbh..”
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Don't forget your Easter lily today

Whom you choose to remember with it,is of course your own business.

PS.....soz for any offence del🙂
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein

Post by 678904673 »

Setanta wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:58 am Don't forget your Easter lily today

I'm heading to my Father's for Easter Sunday dinner. If I came in wearing one of those I'd be cut out of the will if I haven't been already:)
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Setanta wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:58 am Don't forget your Easter lily today

Like our own national flag many of us of a certain generation became reluctant to be associated with the Easter Lily, it hasn't gone away you know.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

marhay70 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:46 pm Like our own national flag many of us of a certain generation became reluctant to be associated with the Easter Lily, it hasn't gone away you know.
Its a pity really,the troubles are thankfully over and never coming back

I think fellows like linked below are future of the Easter lily/commerations events across the country (hold non political/independent events with all welcome,but not tied up with whitewashing history of it either),

I'd have a huge interest in history,and probably spend too much time reading/watching such content :geek:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tomhennessy20

Tomorrow is Liam lynch 100 anniversary,held same rank in civil war as Micheal Collins,but been almost whitewashed from our history
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein

Post by 678904673 »

Setanta wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:59 pm Its a pity really,the troubles are thankfully over and never coming back

I think fellows like linked below are future of the Easter lily/commerations events across the country (hold non political/independent events with all welcome,but not tied up with whitewashing history of it either),

I'd have a huge interest in history,and probably spend too much time reading/watching such content :geek:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tomhennessy20

Tomorrow is Liam lynch 100 anniversary,held same rank in civil war as Micheal Collins,but been almost whitewashed from our history
Two reasons why Lynch has been largely forgotten. Collins was charismatic and a bit of a rouge. Lynch came across as an austere librarian. But the most important reason. Lynch was on the losing side.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Happy Days wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:21 pm Two reasons why Lynch has been largely forgotten. Collins was charismatic and a bit of a rouge. Lynch came across as an austere librarian. But the most important reason. Lynch was on the losing side.
I think Lynch never intended to survive the Civil War, his pride, or was it arrogance, made it imperative that he die in action and one thing that alienates me towards him, is he was prepared to take hundreds of his loyal followers with him. The war was lost, anybody with a day of military training could see that but he insisted on carrying on the fight.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Setanta wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:59 pm Its a pity really,the troubles are thankfully over and never coming back

Not everybody seems to have accepted that, 25 years on.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Happy Days wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:21 pm Two reasons why Lynch has been largely forgotten. Collins was charismatic and a bit of a rouge. Lynch came across as an austere librarian. But the most important reason. Lynch was on the losing side.
That is most important reason there at the end....he was on losing side.....kind of why i do like to wear lily's so as to remember likes of those, particularly in my own area,white-washed from history here

It annoys me,that people (political leaders) can and will whitewash/sideline history here for political ends,
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

marhay70 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:38 pm I think Lynch never intended to survive the Civil War, his pride, or was it arrogance, made it imperative that he die in action and one thing that alienates me towards him, is he was prepared to take hundreds of his loyal followers with him. The war was lost, anybody with a day of military training could see that but he insisted on carrying on the fight.
He was to attend a meeting in kilrossanty area the day after being cut down,with the rest of supposed army council prepared to vote for ceasefire....he being the deciding vote a month previously to continue the fight while waiting for something (possibly arms?)

Several leadership members stayed in clonea-power and rathgormack etc with cumann na mban members in the days before it,and were leaving onfoot when word filtered through of his dying....within weeks an order to dump arms was issued,and the rest,as they say,is history
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Setanta wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:58 pm He was to attend a meeting in kilrossanty area the day after being cut down,with the rest of supposed army council prepared to vote for ceasefire....he being the deciding vote a month previously to continue the fight while waiting for something (possibly arms?)

Several leadership members stayed in clonea-power and rathgormack etc with cumann na mban members in the days before it,and were leaving onfoot when word filtered through of his dying....within weeks an order to dump arms was issued,and the rest,as they say,is history
The war was over a long time before that but that's moot at this stage. Lynch had a sort of Scarlet Pimpernel quality about him which gives rise to the stories.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I think a friendship I’ve had for almost a decade is over because of something I said when I was drunk.

If something was so important it shouldn’t be broken for something like that which means it wasn’t that important to him. I’m devastated.

Setanta

Post by Setanta »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:39 pm I think a friendship I’ve had for almost a decade is over because of something I said when I was drunk.

If something was so important it shouldn’t be broken for something like that which means it wasn’t that important to him. I’m devastated.
What did you say?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Setanta wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:28 pm What did you say?
I can’t remember but I think it was probably something about how he keeps cancelling and putting me last.

marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:39 pm I think a friendship I’ve had for almost a decade is over because of something I said when I was drunk.

In Vino Veritas.
If you kept from saying it for ten years then obviously you agreed that it was something better not said, you've been proven correct. A lesson hard learned and now it's a case of just how much it takes to recover even a portion of what you had.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

marhay70 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:29 am In Vino Veritas.
If you kept from saying it for ten years then obviously you agreed that it was something better not said, you've been proven correct. A lesson hard learned and now it's a case of just how much it takes to recover even a portion of what you had.
Thank you - I’ll keep my distance for a while although it will hurt. Thank you.

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Maybe this is weird but I find it cringingly embarrassing the way the Irish media and government slobber over American presidents visiting Ireland. I know it's probably for the jobs but it's got inferiority complex written all over it, we humble gombeens milking the brims of our hats to yer lordship. Maybe we were colonised too long to ever be obstreperously independent.

I would prefer to entertain the honest contempt of a Boris Yeltsin too plastered to get off the plane.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...