Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Post what's on your mind

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
jmayo

Re: Post what's on your mind

Post by jmayo »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:53 pm I know a lad that has bought himself a jiggler ... it moves the mouse every 10/20/30 etc seconds so he always appears green on Microsoft teams.
He's been doing this for months and company is none the wiser, he says he works approx 1hr a day.

He is my new personal hero.
Nah it is the guy that has two or three remote jobs on the go at the same time.
He manages to engage in two Teams/Zoom calls at the same time and just juggles between the two.

He did state that 3 simultaneous calls becomes rather difficult.

Anyone remember the guy that subcontracted his job to some lad in India?

Post by 678904673 »

marhay70 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:20 pm Went into the local town this morning to pick up my prescription. Not one disabled parking bay out of about fifteen in all, was available, and only one was occupied by a car with a blue badge. Education my arse, we have the laws, now enforce them.
A friend of my OH consistently parks in the Mother & Toddler spaces. Her argument is that she has a child. Which is correct. However her child is 15, able bodied and built like a prop forward. :x
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Happy Days wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:29 pm A friend of my OH consistently parks in the Mother & Toddler spaces. Her argument is that she has a child. Which is correct. However her child is 15, able bodied and built like a prop forward. :x
My wife does that with me in the car, says I'm like her oldest child she's constantly minding
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

WTF is going on with Dublin hotel prices ???
I was planning to spend a few nights in Dublin, we got a nice house rented for a week in Portmagee and so before that thought i'd spend 2/3 nights in Dublin .... fecking FORGET IT !!

I even checked as a test for next January (assuming i'd left it too late) ... still mental prices, same on AirBNB ...

is visiting Dublin becoming a rich exclusive thing ? When Dublin makes Norway look cheap, you know things are fucked ...

Post by 678904673 »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:55 am WTF is going on with Dublin hotel prices ???
I was planning to spend a few nights in Dublin, we got a nice house rented for a week in Portmagee and so before that thought i'd spend 2/3 nights in Dublin .... fecking FORGET IT !!

I even checked as a test for next January (assuming i'd left it too late) ... still mental prices, same on AirBNB ...

is visiting Dublin becoming a rich exclusive thing ? When Dublin makes Norway look cheap, you know things are fucked ...
Dublin is marketed as a "Blue Chip" destination. So hotels can charge big prices knowing wealthily Americans/Europeans will be happy to pay. They don't need to rely on the domestic market.

It was differnt during Covid when they only had the Irish market and did drop they're prices quite a bit.
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

And the strange thing was, the prices in Kerry were decent, I would have thought they would be sky high too, due to Portmagee and the skelligs etc..
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

A few years ago myself and herself went to Paris for a long weekend.
Everyone was telling me how expensive Paris was.
It was in some respects.
However it was about on par with Galway City price wise.
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

we spent 2 weeks+ in the north of norway last summer - most expensive place - €170 per night - family of 4, a cabin with kitchen + bathroom - it was nice.
We stayed in other places that were fecking gorgeous and €120 a night ... one AirBNB was €100 a night for a lovely house ... lots of room ..

Car cost €1000 for 16 days ...

OK pints were out of the question ... but I could manage the odd can at the local Kiwi supermarket.

This year so far :
3 Nights in Dublin - €1000.
I week in Kerry - €1000

Car - for 1 week - €1500.

It's a joke.
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

Hey,
I am thinking of getting Train to Cork from Dublin, is Cork the closest train station to Portmagee in Kerry ?

Also, my inlaws are coming with us they are in their late 60s, but are Spanish nationals, will they be able to travel for free on the train ? or is that for irish OAPs only.

Also, should I book far in advance ? it will be around late July.

I see there is a 80e day return family ticket, that should at least take care of my kids, my wife and myself..

just see Cork - Portmagee is 2h40m drive :O
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

Try Farrenfore or Killarney are nearer for Portmagee.
Regarding hotels in Dublin, I stayed in the Clayton Ballsbridge recently and the price was €200 for a two bed family room per night incl breakfast. Other hotels were much more expensive. It's close to the DART too.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

The curious world of child-related economics. For no particular reason, I tuned in to Sky this morning to see what the Britannic Islanders are up to these days and was struck by the juxtaposition of two stories.

First the "great news" that a one-year old child is going to be cured of a rare illness, thanks to the NHS concluding a deal with Big Pharma to carry out the necessary treatment for "less than" the RRP of £2.8 million.

Followed immediately by a report on the "crisis" affecting working mothers, because they have to choose between work or minding their children on account of the cost of childcare, to pay for which the government has no money.

£2.8m to fix one broken child (whose parents chose to name "Teddi" :x ... sister to Nala :? ) when a fraction of that could stop hundreds - maybe even thousands - of others getting sick if their parents were assisted in looking after their more basic needs, such as good food and plenty of out-door exercise.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:05 pm There's a story now at the top of the RTE website about the rape of two tiny children by a stepfather, facilitated by their mother, and it makes me think very dark thoughts. I think sometimes, and I know it's monstrous, that some people should get a death penalty. I hate thinking that. But I wouldn't lift a finger to save them.
I'm with you - I used to work with one of these nutters who believed that anyone was worth saving, she was doing this altruistic kidney donation and I asked how she knew it wasn't going to a rapist or a wifebeater ?

"I don't care, we are all God's children".

That is true but I like the vengeful Old Testament God myself, he wouldn't be hugging a paedophile and giving him a kidney!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

One of those days when you HAVE to have a Lucozade.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

If o see one more Women’s Day event hijacked by those freaks in frocks I will throw up!!!

You don’t know what it is like to be a woman, you never can so fck off!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I came to the site to post the following and saw your post above.

Yesterday, international Women's Day, was a laugh - every political party, national organisation and media outlet must have burst themselves over the past month trying to book the hugely in demand trans identifying males to platform, applaud and give them awards. There was hardly enough blokes to go round. There must have been jealousy - oh, you guys booked a more famous trans woman than us to speak on IWD 😭😭😭

Here's what I came to post. It could go in gender thread but sure it'll do here. The Houses of the Oireachtas had their lad out for the day

This same person is responsible for posting the below. It's just a fecken laugh now.
20230309_052334.jpg
20230309_052334.jpg (161.97 KiB) Viewed 3250 times
20230309_052138.jpg
20230309_052138.jpg (110.54 KiB) Viewed 3250 times
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:33 am I came to the site to post the following and saw your post above.

Yesterday, international Women's Day, was a laugh - every political party, national organisation and media outlet must have burst themselves over the past month trying to book the hugely in demand trans identifying males to platform, applaud and give them awards. There was hardly enough blokes to go round. There must have been jealousy - oh, you guys booked a more famous trans woman than us to speak on IWD 😭😭😭

Here's what I came to post. It could go in gender thread but sure it'll do here. The Houses of the Oireachtas had their lad out for the day

This same person is responsible for posting the below. It's just a fecken laugh now.

20230309_052334.jpg
20230309_052138.jpg
Oh he’s just lovely!

Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

isha wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:13 pm One of those days when you HAVE to have a Lucozade.
Did you have some? It's my go to for curing all ills. In fact I might have a bottle today. It's the absolute worst stuff you could drink but it brings so much joy :D

I will be embarking on a new way of living next week that will be seriously inconvenient. No car for a while. Lord help me save me and have mercy on me. I will be drowning in lucozade for comfort.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:28 pm Did you have some? It's my go to for curing all ills. In fact I might have a bottle today. It's the absolute worst stuff you could drink but it brings so much joy :D

I will be embarking on a new way of living next week that will be seriously inconvenient. No car for a while. Lord help me save me and have mercy on me. I will be drowning in lucozade for comfort.
I was drinking a bottle as I posted yesterday. I have a handful of bottles of Lucozade over the course of a year, each of them taken in a "Give me strength!" time of need. 😁

Good luck with the carlessness.. get back to having your vehicle as soon as you can. I didn't have my own car for ages and I shudder to think back on all the inconvenient smelly bus journeys, lift shares, begging for lifts, waiting to use his car and the endless walking / cycling over mountains I did which regularly involved telling lardy, reddened, potato-faced strangers that no thanks, I don't want a lift in your lovely big jeep. 😬
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

I am....erm...well I won't be able to drive any car :oops: :roll: The less said about it all the better!!

I shall emerge with great fortitude and stamina :lol:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I think it's high time the ass-and-cart made a comeback.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:25 pm I think it's high time the ass-and-cart made a comeback.
As long as there are no rules governing how we drive it :? :lol:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Is it time to review this year's garden plans? Lidl have cacti on special. :shock:

Nice big ones too. Obviously not as big as the critters that grow wild in Arizona, but far bigger than the microscopic yokes that my granny had on her windowsill.

Only if I buy one (or four) as a centre piece for (each of) my planter(s) out the front (average temp in the sun ~50-60°C the last few years) then I'll have to buy more stuff to make the collection complete ...

Still, it could be a good way to guarantee that it'll rain all summer long. :mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Throwback Tuesday- i've just used a public facility where the toilet had a floating fag butt. I hang out in only the classiest of joints. 😏
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Had my Canadian citizenship ceremony yesterday. So that was a thing.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Norman Breaks wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:19 pm Had my Canadian citizenship ceremony yesterday. So that was a thing.
Congratulations!