Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Post what's on your mind

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Post what's on your mind

Post by CelticRambler »

"Classic Clean" - does that mean there's a new-and-improved clean that was foisted upon us without our knowledge?

And is it the clean-up that lasts 50% longer, or what?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Well there was a few things for me..."Proven to clean effectively".... How exactly? The mind boggles at the possible experiments and proofs. How do MEGA and Classic cleans differ from the old clean and what exactly IS a classic clean...?

Bring back fluffy puppies on the bog roll. It was just the right amount of reference to dirty bums.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I must say 50km on the road wouldn't bother me. I regularly do 60km with a LOT of climbing starting in Killarney, out to Kate Kearney cottage, through the Gap of Dungloe, through the Black Valley, then up to the top of Molls Gap and back to Killarney past Mucross House. That's a "before lunch" cycle.....

I find that a "small but often" works wonders for fitness and getting used to the long spins rather than starting big. A few years ago I'd die at the thought of 20km on a bike.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I’m alone.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

isha wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:32 pm That sounds fabulous Hairy Joe. Beautiful day for it. I did a 50ishkm cycle with my kids in April on one crazy day and it nearly killed me.

What I had on my mind earlier today is far more prosaic. I went grocery shopping while waiting for the sun to get properly going and in the toilet paper aisle I thought - "Is this not just too much information!" 😳

IMG_20220910_162916.jpg
Interesting multi prong marketing approach, both new and since 1942
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:46 pm I’m alone.
Lucky bastard.

JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

CelticRambler wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:26 pm "Classic Clean" - does that mean there's a new-and-improved clean that was foisted upon us without our knowledge?

And is it the clean-up that lasts 50% longer, or what?
Someone should market toilet-paper with absolutely brutally honest taglines.

"Don't expect miracles. Not guaranteed against poke through occasionally. Use with caution and wash your hands you dirt-bird"

"It'll look clean, and that might be good enough for you, but remember to shower daily and change your flipping underpants you pig"

"You might need a pack of wet wipes also, just in case. Just saying"

"It's for your arse lads, not for sticking up your nose around the end of your index finger"

"Patterns and colours are for shirts. Just pick the white pack, FFS"

"It's for cleaning your arse. Don't think about puppies, just wipe your arse with it. Puppies don't make it any better"

"Better than Bitcoin in a pandemic situation. Buy a few extra rolls"

"Do not use instead of kitchen rolls to dry steaks before frying. You've been warned"

"If your cat is a little bastard, keep this stuff out of reach"

"Don't be a Blue Peter bell-end. Just throw out the cardboard tube and FFS put another roll on the holder. How many times do I have to...."

"Better than squares of newspaper hanging on a bit of string"

"Beats the 1980's Irish school greaseproof stuff, by a long shot"

"3 Ply lads. Always buy the 3 Ply"

I think that's all I have on my mind right now.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Jedward are absolute fecking bellends.

End of.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane

Post by 6456739 »

Like it or loathe it, the Marvel Cinematic Universe is a global phenomenon. Baffling that nobody's ever made a decent videogame out of it.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

I see a journalist was murdered in Las Vegas by a politician for exposing his affair. Imagine this had been a republican or god forbid a ‘maga’ candidate. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/11/us/l ... alist.html
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

La Marseillaise has been stuck in my head for the last two weeks.
It may be a sign 😂

Post by 765489 »

I'm dreading having to spend the whole weekend again painting, another wasted weekend doing something I absolutely detest. I wouldn't have this problem if I was living in a campervan.

Post by 765489 »

One more coffee and a couple more cigarettes. This place rocks by the way. We are very lucky to have an oldskool bbs hangout like this. Peace out folks.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Just tried the Lidl spreadable butter. How did they make it taste so horrid?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

The last of the summer visitors have just left. It's suddenly so peaceful! :mrgreen:

Looking forward to making efficient use of the whole day again.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:16 am The last of the summer visitors have just left. It's suddenly so peaceful! :mrgreen:

Looking forward to making efficient use of the whole day again.
I'm still swamped. 6 adults in house at moment. Thankfully husband has taken over cooking and bread making duties as I'm too tired. Next weekend they are all going on a road trip and for the first time in ages I will have the house completely to myself and I will lie down in the living area and make floor angels to celebrate the peace.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

Floor angels!! :P Do you have a rug or carpet and are you flexible? Wood would be better for the movement of arms and legs though.

My husbands relatives are home from Australia and they are all staying in his mam's house. It's no joke looking after guests even if they are family. I think you have to remind yourself that there is no need to be 'on' all the time.

Daddy is on my mind. I don't feel in control of his needs right now. Something new will appear just when I think I have a handle on things. The latest is a mystery back ache and I forgot to ring the doctor to find out what he said to him. I'm not great at this kind of thing. I've been putting off chatting with his solicitor about me being given power of attorney but I will have to do that tomorrow as well. If he lived with us I'd feel better but there isn't a hope in hell he would and sure he'd never manage the stairs.

JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

I still miss my oul’ lad.

Glad he missed the Covid sheite though. He’d have hated all the fuss.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

JayZeus wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:56 pm I still miss my oul’ lad.

Glad he missed the Covid sheite though. He’d have hated all the fuss.
Is he gone long Jay?
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

4 years last spring. Feels like a lifetime in some ways and only the other day in others.

What’s on my mind? Cancer is a c-word.

Post by 765489 »

I have no idea why I still have a Linkedin account and why I even bother logging into it. There is nothing of any interest on it to me. After I log out and have finished adding various random recruiters etc I get a pile of spam emails by the company. All my fellow work colleagues seem to have gone on to bigger and better things judging by their posts... I mustn't be doing it right. Anyway I find the whole thing disturbing... CEO hero worshipping... makes me want to puke.

Post by 765489 »

JayZeus wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:15 pm 4 years last spring. Feels like a lifetime in some ways and only the other day in others.

What’s on my mind? Cancer is a c-word.
I lost my mother a few years ago and it feels like a life time ago too. I feel guilty sometimes that I don't think of her often enough as she was a great mother to myself and brother. But it's strange. There are certain times, without me consciously realising it, she comes popping back into my head again. I remember a man telling me about his own parents passing away and it stuck in my mind that he said he has never really grieved for them. He just couldn't comprehend it and instead didn't do it but parked it. I think I am the same.

Post by 893456 »

I am very sorry for your loss.I was the same when I lost my mother.I wasn't strong enough to come to terms with it so I pushed it all away.And over the years it still stayed away.But as I've gotten older,I find I think of my mother and grandfather.For what reason I don't know.But a part of me believes that is their way of saying I'm still here and with me. Whether I like it or not heh.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

I often remember him vividly when doing various things. Like polishing my shoes, tying a tie, driving nails with a hammer and all sorts of other things. Hundreds of little things he taught me how to do properly. Same for my Grandfather. I remember them in those moments with great detail, how they sounded, the encouragement and all the rest.

I wear the same “make and model” aftershave as my Da did. That’s another one that triggers memory recall from time to time.

All of that is much nicer than the months of nightmares I had after he passed, close enough to a year of them, almost every night. I was always pretty okay dealing with death (emergency service exposure to it) generally speaking, but that whole experience was another thing entirely.

I’m MUCH more sensitive now. A few drama films watched with the wife have left me watery eyed and excusing myself before I’d end up blubbering away on the couch. I guess the grief on top of all the other suppressed reaction to other peoples witnessed grief just left me with too much to be impartial in my response to it now.

None of us handles this stuff the same way, that’s what I’ve learned by now.

What’s on my mind? I’m not sure if it’s a better thing to have time to put your affairs in order and die slowly, or to try to keep them that way so you can go out with a bang and none of the suffering yourself, even if it may be harder on your survivors. Feckin’ morbid thoughts. Go to bed JZ.

Post by 893456 »

JayZeus wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:54 pm I often remember him vividly when doing various things. Like polishing my shoes, tying a tie, driving nails with a hammer and all sorts of other things. Hundreds of little things he taught me how to do properly. Same for my Grandfather. I remember them in those moments with great detail, how they sounded, the encouragement and all the rest.

I wear the same “make and model” aftershave as my Da did. That’s another one that triggers memory recall from time to time.

All of that is much nicer than the months of nightmares I had after he passed, close enough to a year of them, almost every night. I was always pretty okay dealing with death (emergency service exposure to it) generally speaking, but that whole experience was another thing entirely.

I’m MUCH more sensitive now. A few drama films watched with the wife have left me watery eyed and excusing myself before I’d end up blubbering away on the couch. I guess the grief on top of all the other suppressed reaction to other peoples witnessed grief just left me with too much to be impartial in my response to it now.

None of us handles this stuff the same way, that’s what I’ve learned by now.

What’s on my mind? I’m not sure if it’s a better thing to have time to put your affairs in order and die slowly, or to try to keep them that way so you can go out with a bang and none of the suffering yourself, even if it may be harder on your survivors. Feckin’ morbid thoughts. Go to bed JZ.
I wear my father's aftershave and even smoke from my grandfather's pipe.It's funny as some of us get older we turn back to the old smells and lifestyles,heh
.I think when we do we honor them.