Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The Dentist

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Re: The Dentist

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

Day 2 in the horrors.

Yesterday I was back at the dentist. I had one extraction one filling and periodontal treatment all under IV sedation. I feel awful quare still. Talking is an effort. Why the fúck is it such an ordeal for me. Think I will get dentures.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

That reminds me of the habit of newly weds who could afford it to get teeth out and set of dentures... my m in law in 1946. The old wive's tale was that you lost a tooth for every child...
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Cobham wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:03 am That reminds me of the habit of newly weds who could afford it to get teeth out and set of dentures... my m in law in 1946. The old wive's tale was that you lost a tooth for every child...
In teeth then I would have 5 or 6 kids. Thankfully I have none :D
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Dentist is horrible of the horriblest. My daughter had a horrid dental thing recently, all wisdom teeth out at the same time. She said she came home, cried for a long time and then wrote a very angry poem.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I haven’t seen a dentist in 15 years and have dire teeth, at least those left.

What I have is beyond a phobia!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

isha wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:42 am Dentist is horrible of the horriblest. My daughter had a horrid dental thing recently, all wisdom teeth out at the same time. She said she came home, cried for a long time and then wrote a very angry poem.
All out at the same time? :o I hope she never returns to that dentist.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Well it was considered a good investment! and final touch for the new bride like they get facials/nails etc these days.
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Dentistry has come on leaps and bounds to the butcher style years ago. No excuse now for bad dental hygiene.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:55 pm Dentistry has come on leaps and bounds to the butcher style years ago. No excuse now for bad dental hygiene.
Jesus even trolling on here, get lost will you eh ?
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:06 am I haven’t seen a dentist in 15 years and have dire teeth, at least those left.

What I have is beyond a phobia!
It's mad how dentists instill such fear in us but I'd say childhood experiences have a big part to play.
I vaguely remember a million years ago going to a lad in the local health clinic, it was part of some school scheme or something. It was horrible. I remember waiting to go in knowing torture awaited.

I think a skilled and experienced dentist will not hurt you badly. Pain should be at a minimum. Of course there will always be those like myself who have a small threshold for pain but even then it should be bearable.

None of that matters though when you are terrified of getting work done. It's possible to make it happen in very slow steps but if you don't feel that you can now well maybe the day will come when you do feel more able. It was years for me.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:33 am It's mad how dentists instill such fear in us but I'd say childhood experiences have a big part to play.
I vaguely remember a million years ago going to a lad in the local health clinic, it was part of some school scheme or something. It was horrible. I remember waiting to go in knowing torture awaited.
I remember that. Up until 1980 we went to a local dentist, then it shifted up to the local health centre which was in the grounds of the hospital. I think that stopped when I started secondary school in 1984.

I remember going back to the local dentist a couple of years later and he remarked that I hadn't been there since 1980. When I untactfully said "I was at the clinic since then", he made a face and became sour.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

nlgbbbblth wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:02 am I remember that. Up until 1980 we went to a local dentist, then it shifted up to the local health centre which was in the grounds of the hospital. I think that stopped when I started secondary school in 1984.

I remember going back to the local dentist a couple of years later and he remarked that I hadn't been there since 1980. When I untactfully said "I was at the clinic since then", he made a face and became sour.
Yes a health centre type place was where I went. It was late eighties/early nineties for me but I have very hazy memories. Definitely tears and fears anyways. Some absolute butchers back then and no doubt still today.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Well,this is a fun read🙃,

I've to get hopefully a root canal to save the tooth or an implant next week😩
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Setanta wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:24 pm Well,this is a fun read🙃,

I've to get hopefully a root canal to save the tooth or an implant next week😩
You will be fine. I had one during a good spell and it was so simple and easy. The dentist was incredible and all the stars aligned.

If you are nervous don't pretend to be otherwise. Explain and ask for either a sedative or if possible IV sedation.

Other than that just make sure you get all the anaesthetic possible. After that's given ask the dentist to start small just to check if you are feeling pain, if you are, and it's ok to, ask for a top up.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:39 pm You will be fine. I had one during a good spell and it was so simple and easy. The dentist was incredible and all the stars aligned.

If you are nervous don't pretend to be otherwise. Explain and ask for either a sedative or if possible IV sedation.

Other than that just make sure you get all the anaesthetic possible. After that's given ask the dentist to start small just to check if you are feeling pain, if you are, and it's ok to, ask for a top up.
Oh sure it's me own fault, probably neglected myself last few years,so want to get back on track abit

I didn't know you could ask for a top-up on anaesthetic 🤔,something il deffo be doing

though It can't possibly be any worse than the agony I've gone through last few weeks, worse than any bone breaks,taking 11 painkillers a day to dull it is unsustainable and abit unsafe in what I work at tbh.

The way everyone grimaces at mention of root canal is eyebrow raising however....il report back,if I survive🤕
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

I'm sure there is a maximum amount of anaesthetic but I was definitely given more after the first dose so do ask.

The grimace is likely more to do with the thoughts of what it involves. There won't be a bother on you and the relief afterwards will make it all worth it.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

It is the hygenist I dread... I make sure to remind her that I have sensitive gums and to give a bit extra of the numbing gel that she applies.
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

I have to get me teeth done . As a kid I was scared ta feck of the dentist.
Bla bla bla with the agoraphobia I can't actually male it to the dentist.
I have a few broken teeth , which where grand for ages but lately they've been fair painful.

I will make it down some day so I'm just gonna see will they pull the feckers .
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:09 am I'm sure there is a maximum amount of anaesthetic but I was definitely given more after the first dose so do ask.

The grimace is likely more to do with the thoughts of what it involves. There won't be a bother on you and the relief afterwards will make it all worth it.
Ya...they gave me extra anesthetic aswell,after running into nerve endings.....can't complain on pain etc

3 weeks time for a follow-up,but I'm happy I went through with it now Vs going straight to pulling tooth
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

I made it to the dentist the other day.
Was grand, turns out I don't really mind the injection to numb and a bit of drilling , grand.
I got one of my broken teeth filled and headed of with ponstan and penicillin.

To be honest I was hoping she would just yank it out and that be the end of it but she knows more than me so drilled a bit and filled it.
I have some sort of bubble for all the world on my bottom gum. Doesn't hurt but sometimes it gets bigger and I just pop it with my finger.
I'm sure if it was bad she would have said.
I'll finish the prescription and ring up and see what the craic is.

As far as I know I might need to get bubble gum tooth removed or a canal. So I'ma go for taken it out of she give me that option.

Overall I'm happy at the moment
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

What exactly does a dental hygienist do?
Glaceon
Verified Username

Post by Glaceon »

I’m so lucky that I haven’t needed to have much work done. The bit that always gets me is when they put the X ray thing in my mouth; guaranteed to make me gag.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Setanta wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:36 pm What exactly does a dental hygienist do?
They clean your teeth and give you advice and help so you can do it properly yourself. I'm sure they do other things as well.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:32 pm They clean your teeth and give you advice and help so you can do it properly yourself. I'm sure they do other things as well.
I'm to visit one these now.....god,years of avoiding a dentist,I'm a regular now😢......I've a few fillings,a crown etc to get done this next few months,gonna try and see if I'd qualify for the Invisalign braces.....their doing a good package now to pay,spread out over year or two!!
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Setanta wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:41 pm I'm to visit one these now.....god,years of avoiding a dentist,I'm a regular now😢......I've a few fillings,a crown etc to get done this next few months,gonna try and see if I'd qualify for the Invisalign braces.....their doing a good package now to pay,spread out over year or two!!
You got through the root canal and next up is the hygienist. Try to take it in stages and remind yourself when each one has passed.

Invisalign is really popular now. I some people who have had it and were very pleased. It's something I think about myself. Get the ground work done first Setanta and then you'll be ready for fancy looking gnashers :D